Industrial stages in side-scrolling beat 'em ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Industrial stages in side-scrolling beat 'em ups

Does anyone else dread them? My heart sinks when the map tells me that an industrial zone is coming up next. I always assume it's going to be littered with cheap traps. Probably the best example is that bit in Final Fight, when you can't go any further until you've cleared all the enemies. So you're stuck in this screen where flames shoot out of the floor. Admittedly, the pattern is at least predictable and regular, but I find it almost impossible to avoid.

That said, I love it when the enemies get burned of course.

Anyone else hate industrial stages? Post ones you like / hate.

I think Vendetta starts with an industrial stage and its not too bad. Its such an interesting game with random bits to pick and, attack people while they're still on the floor. Smash em into the walls with the baseball bats etc.

I never dread certain stages in walk alongs, its par the course, if you watch some final fight clips online (and Im sure Exmosquito has one on final fight too) you'll see people have mastered the flaming floor sections. It just takes practice and mastery of the pattern.

Comment

Floor-based buzzsaws and electrified floors tend to be ass. And lumps of iron as weaponry. Rusty-brown hues. Mesh fencing, lots. Give me lush trees, ruined sidestreets and pop a twinkling metropolis in the distance, that tells a story.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it is more than possible to do them - I'm just crap at them. And there are often conveyor belts and things to complicate matters further, as in Double Dragon. I agree with JazzFunk - I prefer slums, nice parts of town and forests.

I haven't played Vendetta but I'll check it out.

Comment

Bloody hell if you havent played Vendetta then make sure you dont miss other gems, I'll assume you already know about streets of rage:

Aliens vs Predator
          The Punisher
          Battle Circuit
          Captain Commando
          Cadallacs and Dinosaurs
          Violent Storm
          Sengoku
          Guardian Heroes

Comment

I've played most of those, but not Sengoku or Violent Storm. Love Captain Commando.

Comment

Stage 1 music in violent storm..... :-)

Music from "Violent Storm", composed by Konami Kukeiha Club and Kenichiro Fukui. Game rip.
              Last edited by dvdx2; 21-02-2015, 11:12.

Comment

Can you imagine the first day induction at some of these warehouses?

"Here's the room with circular sawblades streaking up and down the floor. Right, on to the room where six foot flames randomly belch up for no obvious reason..."

Comment

"...and then we'll send our longest-serving, bestest, strongest wrecking ball operative...Bill...he's on forty quid an hour, y'know, he's worth three men, he is....and we'll send him out with our newly-bought mobile mini-wrecking ball...?250000 it cost, state-of-the-art, German...cease all operations...head office won't like it!!!..."time is money", they always say, "austerity"...but some bloke in a white T-shirt's just come in, all upset about his girlfriend...and we gotta somehow mash him up...do I make the rules??!"

Comment

And by the way, the foreman throws grenades about like marbles. Or, if you play Double Dragon, dynamite sticks.

Comment

Thing is, it might seem daft, but I worked at a company years ago that provided component services to the car industry.

We had a kind of production line set of rooms. The first one had these massive rollers and huge tools to cut material, the second one had this room with apparatus to "fix" materials (which looked terrifying), the third one had a huge sandblasting area for taking off excess glue (and skin if you weren't careful!), the fourth one had a conveyor which took the stuff to a spraypainting room, then there was an air extraction area to help dry painted stuff with these massive fanblades (given, behind fanguards, but they were like jet engines), then there was an area with a huge crane to move components...

Seriously it was like something out of Streets of Rage. It doesn't surprise me at all that those games have areas like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X