PAL SNES controller on Super Famicom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL SNES controller on Super Famicom

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether regular PAL SNES controllers will work on a Super Famicom? I've had a look around using Google but I found loads of conflicting answers, so I still really have no idea.

Also, does anyone know of the best place to get a cheap Super Famicom? I don't need the cables or anything, just the console. I'm just looking for some other options beside eBay, preferably in the UK so I don't have to worry about import tax. Thanks!

PAL pads work on the Super Famicom. Also, they have longer cords.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      PAL pads work on the Super Famicom. Also, they have longer cords.
      Yeah I was hoping that I would be able to use my PAL ones due to the longer cord (and also it seems many SFC consoles on eBay don't come with controllers).

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Yeah, from what I remember, European SNES controllers work okay on NTSC consoles, it's the NTSC controllers that don't seem to work on the PAL consoles.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Yeah, from what I remember, European SNES controllers work okay on NTSC consoles, it's the NTSC controllers that don't seem to work on the PAL consoles.
          Just to back up what the others say I use my PAL controller on my SFC all the time.

For the PAL SNES it depends on the models, early PAL SNES don't support then as Nintendo wired them not to support them for some odd reason, Nintendo stopped doing it for the later PAL models guess they figured it was just a waste of time and money.

Comment

Great, thanks for the info folks I got a console off eBay last night from Japan for ?6 + ?9 postage, which seems good to me.

Now after all this I just have to hope that the reason my copy of Goemon 4 didn't work properly was because it wasn't compatible with my import adapter, rather than the cartridge being faulty Still, I guess it'll be nice to have an actual SFC to play my games on, anyway.

Comment

You shouldn't be using a PAL SNES anyway. They are horrible consoles. Slower of course but the worst part is those black lines squashing the image. At least on the Mega Drive those black lines change colour to match the background on most games. Of at least that's how I remember it. It's been over 20 years since I saw a PAL Mega Drive running. Talking of Mega Drive consoles, you can use a UK Mega Drive one PSU on the Super Famicom just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                You shouldn't be using a PAL SNES anyway. They are horrible consoles. Slower of course but the worst part is those black lines squashing the image. At least on the Mega Drive those black lines change colour to match the background on most games. Of at least that's how I remember it. It's been over 20 years since I saw a PAL Mega Drive running. Talking of Mega Drive consoles, you can use a UK Mega Drive one PSU on the Super Famicom just fine
                Yeah I know but PAL is what I've always been used to, so I haven't had anything else to compare it to

I was hoping that my MD power supply would work, as I was sure that I'd read it somewhere in the past. Thanks for the confirmation

Comment

No worries.

Comment

The PAL MD is equally as ****e as the PAL SNES. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Comment

Not saying it isn't but at least the borders change colour to disguise the boarders a little.

Comment

Well least the SNES don't have side borders unlike the MD that said only real MD capture footage shows them as about 99% of videos on the net are captured via emulators and not the real console.

Here's some 50hz Golden Axe III

Those black lines squashing the image are due to the PAL TV system being able to output more scanlines and generate a better picture than NTSC, just a shame Nintendo and Sega where to **** to optimise their consoles correctly. Then the problem would never have occurred in the first place, a world without the whole 50/60hz debate think it exists somewhere in reality?
                        Last edited by S3M; 24-02-2015, 08:18.

Comment

Coloured borders down help a squashed image. I think they look crap.

Comment

The Super Famicom arrived today and it works great. However, on my LCD it's a bit dark and I have to change the TV brightness all the way up, and even then one game is still pretty dark. And on my small Sony Trinitron the picture is in black and white. I'm using my Gamecube AV cable which I've always used with my PAL SNES, do I need a different one?

Thanks!

Comment

My PAL RGB Game cube lead doesn't work on a PAL SNES but does NTSC. So not totally sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X