No announcement yet.

PAL SNES controller on Super Famicom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the kind of Gamecube one I've been using BTW, forgot to say in the last post;

Comment

I've tested it on another CRT and it works perfectly on that, so I guess the reason it's in black and white on my CRT is because it doesn't support NTSC? It's a Sony KV14M1U if anyone is familiar with that one.

It's bloody annoying, i don't have the room to bring a different one in, that one's the perfect size to sit next to my LCD

Update: I hooked my DVD recorder up to the CRT, and connected the Super Famicom to the DVDR. I changed the DVDR settings to NTSC and I can now play the Super Famicom on the TV this way, but I get a tiny bit of lag/delay when playing, which is a tad annoying. Is there any kind of converter I could get to do the same job as the DVDR, but without the lag? Would this thing work?

EDIT: Sorry for all these questions I just found another thread here about the same problem and apparently I need an RGB cable, would the "SNES/SFC/GC RGB Scart cable" one from here be ok?
      Last edited by YoshiOlly; 07-03-2015, 23:58.

Comment

so a quick google suggests your CRT has a Euro RGB Scart socket. If you hook your Super Famicom via RGB Scart it should play in colour and give you a much better image to boot.

This one will do.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Yeah. RGB and NTSC signals are different so grab a different cable and it will all be good. Better picture too.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiOlly View Post
            I've tested it on another CRT and it works perfectly on that, so I guess the reason it's in black and white on my CRT is because it doesn't support NTSC? It's a Sony KV14M1U if anyone is familiar with that one.
            Correct, it's the Sony 14" I own, and it doesn't support NTSC through Scart. So you'll need an RGB cable for the SFC there.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The Super Famicom arrived today and it works great. However, on my LCD it's a bit dark and I have to change the TV brightness all the way up, and even then one game is still pretty dark. And on my small Sony Trinitron the picture is in black and white. I'm using my Gamecube AV cable which I've always used with my PAL SNES, do I need a different one?

Thanks!
              As someone who own all three SNES regions units I can confirm that a PAL RGB Scart lead doesn't work with a NTSC machine and vice versa. You need a different RGB scart lead for both, as I recall the PAL lead displays a picture with a NTSC machine but the colours are all wrong, where as the NTSC Scart in a PAL machine will cause the picture to fade to black.

In short a Gamecube RGB scart lead does not work correctly with a NTSC SFC or SNES.
              Last edited by S3M; 08-03-2015, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                In short a Gamecube RGB scart lead does not work correctly with a NTSC SFC or SNES.
                The PAL GC RGB lead is different than the PAL SNES lead. A PAL GC RGB lead won't work correctly with a PAL SNES.

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks, I shall get one of those RGB cables then Would that also fix the display if I used it on my LCD? I know I shouldn't be using any retro stuff on there, I'm just curious if that's the reason why the brightness and colours are a bit off on it.

Comment

A PAL Gamecube RGB cable does work with NTSC SNES.

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks, I shall get one of those RGB cables then Would that also fix the display if I used it on my LCD? I know I shouldn't be using any retro stuff on there, I'm just curious if that's the reason why the brightness and colours are a bit off on it.
                      yeah I'd imagine so. Composite is an awful way to display video! It's certainly bound to help!

Comment

Should do is does depend a little on the make of the TV, but as long as you have the correct RGB Scart lead you should be good. It's a bit of pain having two scart leads one for NTSC machines and a different one for PAL machines but that's the way Nintendo did it.

Don't actually use my Gamecube RGB scart for either machines I have two SNES era built RGB cables.

Comment

The cable arrived today and the picture looks great

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Correct, it's the Sony 14" I own, and it doesn't support NTSC through Scart. So you'll need an RGB cable for the SFC there.
                          I don't suppose you know how to reposition the picture? The left of the screen is cut off a tiny bit and there's a thin black bar down the right side, it just need centering a little bit, but I can't figure out how to change it. I can't seem to see anything for it on the remote.
                          Last edited by YoshiOlly; 16-03-2015, 20:18.

Comment

Service menu for the TV. No idea if it has one, but mine suffers the same tiny offset to the left.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Service menu for the TV. No idea if it has one, but mine suffers the same tiny offset to the left.
                              Thanks.

I've had a look online at how to get to the service menu but it doesn't seem to work for me. Probably because I don't have the original remote. It's not too bad, I can put up with it until I maybe buy a replacement remote some time.

Comment

Working...
                              X