Guitar Hero is coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar Hero is coming...

Kotaku has learned from two separate sources that Activision has a new Guitar Hero game in development, reportedly for this year.

The new title, which one source says will be announced at E3 this year, takes a "more realistic" approach than previous Guitar Hero games, all of which have had a cartoonish visual style. Crowds and performers will look more in-line with real life. We were told that there are new guitar peripherals in development for the title, and both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were mentioned. It is reportedly due for an E3 announcement and a full release before the end of the year.

The last Guitar Hero game - Warriors of Rock - was released in in September 2010, by which time the global recession had already totally deflated the music-game boom of the mid to late '00s. Activision officially killed the series in late 2011, having bought it (along with its original publisher, RedOctane) in 2007, though Kotaku reported that an ambitious and troubled seventh game was in development at New York studio Vicarious Visions.

Both Neversoft and RedOctane, the two studios that had worked on Guitar Hero after it was acquired by Activision, have since been closed. Although neither source told us exactly which developer is looking after the new Guitar Hero, it was indicated that it's one of Activision's West Coast studios, which would rule out Vicarious Visions.

This comes shortly after various signs that another beloved music game franchise, Harmonix's Rock Band, may be due a revival.

Contacted for comment, an Activision spokesperson said that it did not comment on rumour or speculation, but had a little more to add: "We don't comment on rumour or speculation, but have previously said, that as one of the most beloved entertainment franchises, we would only bring Guitar Hero back if we developed the right innovations to usher the franchise into the new generation of gaming."
    I think the time is about right, I've been having some little pangs of cravings for a guitar Hero game. The last time I was really into it was about 2008 with the first Rock Band

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
    I think the time is about right, I've been having some little pangs of cravings for a guitar Hero game. The last time I was really into it was about 2008 with the first Rock Band
    I honestly think it's too early. Part of me feels they should've waited a good 10 years. I imagine many people will be reluctant to buy another slew of plastic guitars.

Comment

I guess it depends on whether they go full on band again or just plastic guitars.
      It's 4 years since they stopped making them, that's actually quite a long time in terms of target audience.

You'll have 4 year olds that weren't even born and parents wanting any excuse to play a game with them.
      You'll have 16 years olds who were 12 when the last ones came out
      etc etc.

Shops don't stock the controllers any more and there will be families who don't have an old 360 or Ps3.

Comment

A pulled report suggests first person pov and a redesigned guitar using 6 black and white buttons

Comment

Now official along with a shot of the new guitar

Costs ?90 and is not backwards compatible

Comment

How crazy is it that someone is making a new FMV game in 2015?

That's insane. Pretty cool they're doing something new though.

Comment

Music games are done in the west now, thanks to them releasing a stupid amount in such a small timeframe everyones now burnt out on them, Sure the will be music fans that will welcome a new one but the mainstream will not go buy expensive plastic controllers again.

Comment

I don't know, a lot of friends who don't play games have asked me when a new Guitar Hero or Rock Band is being released.

It's unproven if anyone will buy a new one but the appetite seems to be out there.

Comment

Wow, an FMV game. I did not see that coming at all.

No surprise that Activision did not see fit to make it backwards compatible! I'm excited about these new titles - I think they could work for the mainstream too. There is an absolute dearth of party games of any worth on the PSBone, and these could fill the gap nicely for many.

Comment

At ?90 i doubt it's going to hit mainstream appeal, people have been burnt now on buying plastic instruments.

Comment

Reserving judgement but overall I think i could be drawn back in!

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        At ?90 i doubt it's going to hit mainstream appeal, people have been burnt now on buying plastic instruments.
                        Well, it's been a while now. It feels like a long time since we last had a Rock Band or GH title, and their enormous popularity at the time shows that there is an appetite for this sort of title across quite a broad range of people.

RB will be backwards compatible with older peripherals and DLC, too. So for the sake of ?40, there might be many who'd like a reason to break out their old guitars on their shiny new systems. At ?90 for GH with its lack of BC, it's a tougher sell, I agree.

I'd like to see these games succeed again and with a more judicious release schedule this time. I love rhythm action games myself.

I do hope they keep it to being a game this time - I don't actually want to learn the guitar, I want to play a musical Simon Says.

Comment

I sold all my Rock Band stuff at the weekend to free up some space.

If RB4 is backwards compatible I may bite but I'll be leaving this. The FMV makes it look devoid of character.

Comment

I don't begrudge the lack of BC, it's an entirely new design which is kind of appealing.

But what isn't appealing is that Harmonix aren't doing it and they are the best at the music games.

Comment

That's my story as well. GH was a poor imitator once harmonix left.

As for party games in general... Check out fibbage and the jackbox party games. Great fun with a few people.

Comment

Working...
                              X