No announcement yet.

Sonic X-treme - cancelled Saturn game now playable on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave it a punt and opened the file up and sure enough it worked straight away. It's interesting to move about in and impressive simply for the sake of existing. There's nothing to do in it really at all and to get it into even a fully working level, let alone recreating what's known of the rest of the game, would be a massive task I imagine. That said, never underestimate fans desires to build this stuff. Hopefully, this is stage one of what eventually could be a close 'finished' fan remake/project

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      Yuji Naka ended up getting a couple of Sonic project canned he didn't like, which made him part of the problem at Sega, I also read he hated Sonic Fighters.
      I remember reading about how it was cancelled largely because he was upset.

That's just 1990s Sega in a nutshell, really. Multinational enterprise with a flagship title that gets canned because someone is upset.

That being said, Sonic The Fighters is dreadful, so no surprise there. I imagine it still went ahead because it was an AM project, and a professional disagreement between Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki was probably like the irresistible force hitting the immovable object.

Comment

Guys, please understand that this is basically all there ever was to Sonic Xtreme. There is no full game. There never was.

Comment

Yeah, it is what it is, and for that alone I think it's very cool. I'd love to see more of this stuff in general. Abandoned and cancelled games resurrected or even finished off.

Comment

Yuji Naka ended up getting a couple of Sonic project canned he didn't like, which made him part of the problem at Sega, I also read he hated Sonic Fighters.
            That's just rubbish . Naka gave AM#2 and Yu Suzuki-san his full blessing on Sonic Fighters , not that Naka-san had the final say on what Sonic game could be made (Naka-san had nothing at all to do with Sonic CD and so on) . Also its wrong to make out Naka-san canned Sonic-X - He never , SEGA America and Bernie did that. All Naka-san did was not to allow the STI Team to use his NiGHTS engine . Ok that is a bit childish , but SEGA Japan never shared tech between their own in-House teams and with the Sonic Team making their own Sonic Adv game for the Saturn there was never much hope of the NiGHTS engine being shared to a Western Team in America

Sonic - X was a total mess of a project: where you 2 different teams working on 2 different versions of the same game on 3 different platforms and after some 1 and half years need to get an outside engine to help -That's a complete shambles of project management in anyone's book and that's the real trouble with Sonic X .

Comment

The real thing I don't like is Yuji Naka didn't even invent Sonic! Yet he gets all the credit for the character.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                The real thing I don't like is Yuji Naka didn't even invent Sonic! Yet he gets all the credit for the character.
                I dunno; I mean he was creative lead on the game in which he featured. I mean George Lucas didn't create the image of R2-D2 but he's still considered the creator of the character.

It's an inherent problem with the media, though; people like to fixate on individuals, as if Jame's Cameron's Avatar was entirely made by James Cameron and no-one else.

Comment

True, even though its documented that all the character designs were by another. Yuji Naka basically programmed the game. GaijinPunch over on assemblergames.com once said he actually had drinks with the true creator of Sonic. That must have been so awesome.

Comment

I don't get that dig . Dave Perry didn't draw Earthworm Jim or Aladdin but gets the credit when all he did was like Naka-san was make amazing game engines , Yu Suzuki didn't draw any of the Virtual Fighters but only he got the credit for VF . So why do people have a dig at Naka-san

Comment

Not true, Sega officially credit three people as creating him, Yuji Naka is one of them, but he should be stated as a co-creator anyone saying creator is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X