Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 modchip

Hi guys,
    I recently got a PS2 slim SCPC90004 8d and I want a modchip for it. I don't care about disc swapping stuff etc... I just want to pop in my japanese game and play. Are there easy ones to install? What is the best one? Are there still services offering to install one because it seems all I get on google are stores who no longer stock it or people wanting me to install fcmb, but that won't work on my model. I can mod a megadrive but my soldering skilzz aren't that great an most chips I've seen require 19 wires or more.

Advice please!

I remember speaking to will2003 and Saurian back in the day on these forums regarding Ps2 modchips. Installs required l33t skill0z. Sorry this isnt more helpful, Im sure over time there must have been some easier modchips to install, was nothing made of the front usb sockets?

Comment

That is one of the hardest revisions of PS2 to install a chip in.

The CD controller pins aren't even 1mm thick and you have to install a few next to each other.

Unless you're handy with flux and have excellent eyes you'll have problems. Even then, installing a chip in the easiest of PS2 revisions is 100x harder than a Mega Drive mod.

Comment

Jup I thought so...

Comment

Fat PS2 + HDD adaptor + FreeMCBoot is an option. Check if your game is compatible though but most are.

Comment

Does freemcBoot not need a modchip to run?

Comment

No, it is an exploit.

Comment

I thought it ran off a CDR? I had a fat ps2+hdd many moons ago . . . .

Comment

That sounds like the Independance Expoit.

Comment

I'll get swapmagic then I want to play my original cds

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                      Fat PS2 + HDD adaptor + FreeMCBoot is an option. Check if your game is compatible though but most are.
                      +1 from me. Very happy I went with this route last year.

Comment

Working...
                      X