Neo Geo question - authenticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo question - authenticity?

Here's a question about the Neo Geo I've wondered for a number of years.

Is there anything to be gained from getting the actual console/carts other than the feeling of authenticity?

I mean I like SNK's games, but I've never actually played on an Neo Geo home console (though I've played NG arcade machines a fair bit over the years where I've come across them).

Obviously the actual machine carries a genuine air, and there are a fair few games that were never ported. Still, many games were ported to other formats, and apparently received good ports - Saturn, Dreamcast, even the PS3 has a fair few (are they still on PSN? I seem to recall at one point PSN even had a NeoGeo storefront of some kind).

Are the ports all inferior? I don't mean the 16-bit ones (those obviously are) I mean the later ports.

Of course they're inferior, they have loading times.

And when you talk about authenticity it makes me laugh, considering SNK didn't even handle distribution of games in America. The whole scenario with the Neo Geo in America makes me want to steer clear of any games released there.

Comment

I've owned a few ports on the Saturn and Dreamcast and there isn't a huge amount of difference but they are always missing a few frames of animation and don't seem quite so crisp as the originals from a gameplay point of view.

I'd never go down the AES route as it's so expensive and you never quite know if you are buying originals or conversions (especially with the rarer games). MVS, on the other hand, is great. Pretty much all the AES games (plus Shock Troopers) for a fraction of the price. The carts are often a bit shabby but you can get shockboxes with inserts which look nice on a shelf. If you've got space for a cab then I'd definitely go for that option as as they're far cooler than a consolised motherboard and there's not much difference in price if you compare it to something like an Analogue Interactive.

Comment

If you mug off the KOF's apart from '94, CD is a great way to go.

I've owned all iterations and the feel of aes carts can't be beat mind.

Comment

I think you can probably get away with ports etc if you don't have too much experience/nostalgia for the originals. Personally, I'm really fond of SNK and their library so certainly prefer owning the originals, especially with a nice CRT screen and MVS/bypass mod on the original Neo consoles - it just looks really crisp, vibrant and you can really appreciate the talent of the designers/pixel artists.

If you are interested in some SNK action, an MVS is the way to go, especially when you can add shock boxes etc...

Comment

What's a shock box?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              What's a shock box?
              The same case as AES carts.

Comment

Working...
              X