No announcement yet.

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd, I never felt like I was aimlessly wandering looking for stuff. Everywhere I turned I found stuff to do. Oddly, I’m not a fan of BOTW, and really felt that game was lacking in narrative/structure, and that instead you were just wandering about.

As an aside, a lot of the side content actually doesn’t have amazing amount of combat (outside of hunts, obviously- but even then it’s rarely just -go here and kill something). Most of the side content was about problem solving and discussion- although you indeed could end it that way if you wanted. The side content also contains some of the best areas and characters. Kind of like missing the Painted World in Dark Souls- an amazing area but completely missable.
    Last edited by MrKirov; 05-06-2018, 09:48.

Comment

Also- Gwent. What a spectacular game. Many hours spent just playing it for fun. There’s a reason it was made into its own game outside of the Witcher. What a shame to miss it!

I feel my Yakuza analogy is apt. Incredible game, with a fantastic main plot, but you really are missing so much of the experience if you stick to the main story as it’s so serious. The side content has a fantastic juxtaposition of humour against the hardened criminal backdrop- it’s a similar thing in the Witcher.

Comment

The core element of the gameplay isn’t combat. That’s a tool. The core elements are story and character. The richness of the interactions, the issues faced, the journey of a character through the region, the moral ambiguities, and their existence within, and effect upon, the world. It does feel like you’ve totally missed the point. It’s not a game to rattle through. You make it sound like some kind of free roaming God of War. Loads of quests have zero combat.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 05-06-2018, 19:57.

Comment

Well today I managed to get the achievement for completing the Gwent deck. I’m not an achievement whore at all, and even less so on this game as I don’t want to let meaningless experience engineering get in the way of the game. However, in this case, I made an exception. It’s such a fun sub-game and I really enjoyed developing my own strategies.

Story wise, I’ve completed all active secondary quests and contracts. The main story is up to Kaer Morhen. I’ve absolutely adored the vast majority of the secondary quests, with decisions that are genuinely affecting and impactful. The main storyline is still clicking with me nicely.

Easily the best RPG I’ve played, in terms of story, characters, setting, meaningful morality choices and depth of immersion.
          Last edited by prinnysquad; 11-08-2018, 23:08.

Comment

Finished the main quest and the first DLC. Gaunter O’Dimm is a superb character - the type of protagonist that other RPGs can only dream of. It’s a stunning DLC. The whole Olgierd and Iris sequence - with the Caretaker, the animals, the painting and the memories - is truly excellent.

Now into the last DLC and almost loathe to start it.

Comment

Your impressions of this made me start The Witcher 2. I wanted a meaty RPG with an engaging story and characters and it's delivering just that.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Finished the main quest and the first DLC. Gaunter O’Dimm is a superb character - the type of protagonist that other RPGs can only dream of. It’s a stunning DLC. The whole Olgierd and Iris sequence - with the Caretaker, the animals, the painting and the memories - is truly excellent.

Now into the last DLC and almost loathe to start it.
                Oh god, yeah. This DLC is absolutely brilliant. One of the best pieces of storytelling I've seen in a game. Gaunter O'Dimm is an absolutely brilliant creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                  Your impressions of this made me start The Witcher 2. I wanted a meaty RPG with an engaging story and characters and it's delivering just that.
                  I’m very tempted to go back and do Witcher 2. Have you played the third? I need to know how it compares.

Comment

I haven't played the third, or the first for that matter. Storywise, you're thrown in at the deep end but it's manageable. The combat system has a lot of options I'm ignoring for now and it certainly makes use of every button in the controller.

The Xbox 360 version received a lot of praise at the time of its release and much care seems to have gone into the Xbox One X enhanced patch.

I'd say play it if you're after more The Witcher, perhaps after a little break from the third.

Comment

Yes, I was considering a break for a while - maybe to play Nier Automata or something. I tried Witcher 2 back in the day but it was too hard, so I’m hoping I’m better equipped to deal with it now.

Comment

Had a beezer time poncing around Toussaint this morning. Enemies seem to start at level 37 and I’ve seen a few at 48. So it’s more challenging than what I’ve been used to for the last 25 hours.

The landscape is beautiful. Mediterranean villages and towns, French-style vinyards and European architecture, all bleached by warming sunshine and an effervescent glow. The starscape is wonderful at night. It’s a land of lyrical poetry - both literal in the way the inhabitants talk, and figurative in the tone and atmosphere of the land. It’s a total contrast to Velen and Skellige.

Quests tackled today include solving a puzzle about sabotaged vinyards, resolving a dispute between their owners, tracking a basilisk and making a moral decision, attempting to secure a mythical sword by proving myself and winning cards from the Skellige deck.

The whole atmosphere of this DLC has sucked me back in (not that I needed to be). The world-building has got me exploring again. Fabulous.

Comment

Completed.

Not all the question marks, but the main quests, all the secondary quests I’ve found, the Witcher contracts and the treasure hunts. A couple of quests glitched so I couldn’t finish them. Never mind.

160 hours of absolute joy.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting this for a friend but I'm not sure whether he'll like it. I've never heard him mention RPGs among his preferences but he's a huge Assassin's Creed fan, I think he has played most of them.

I've played enough of The Witcher 2 to conclude its combat and control scheme are far too 'clunky' for it to appeal to fans of action-adventure games who wouldn't be interested in its stronger points: story, lore, dialogue, etc.

Since I've read the latest Assassin's Creed games -- Origins and Odyssey -- took quite a few pages from The Witcher 3 and he liked those, do you think he'd like it?

Comment

He must.

If he doesn’t, just damn the fellow's eyes, strip the britches from his backside and warm his heels to Putney Bridge.

And cancel your friendship.

Comment

... And cancel our friendship.

Right! I took notes and that's his birthday card sorted!

Comment

Working...
                                X