Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you dodge the slap they ban you from youtube.

Comment

Well, for all the complaints (and I have a few but maybe not as many as others because I have never backed up a save ever although I would like to have been able to for my old Pokemon games), it must be said that I am loving my Switch. I have more games for it than I do for my PS3. More than my 360. I haven't felt the need for a PS4 or One. There are games on the Switch that I haven't got because I just wouldn't get to them so the amount of good releases has exceeded my available play time. I love the system and, overall, I love what Nintendo are doing with it. I'm a very happy Switch owner.

Comment

I'll be happy once The Wonderful 101 gets a port.

Simply wouldn't be able to get excited over a non-Kamiya sequel, though.

Comment

Here, Miyamoto warns the industry not to get too greedy:

Comment

Went into Tesco.
            They had joycons listed at £30 a pair.
            Obviously there were none in stock and the system said they were £70.
            Annoying all round.

Comment

Maybe Nintendo themselves should start listening to Miyamoto...

Comment

I'm part satisfied, part disappointed with the Nintendo Switch. The quality of the software (by far the most important element) has exceeded my expectations but there are some glaring omissions in its library - Animal Crossing to name but one; but I know Nintendo is a secretive company who takes as much time as needed crafting its masterpieces so maybe they've been working away on several big games for a long time unbeknown to anyone. Who knows.

My biggest disappointment is the console's lack of apps and features. It probably ain't a big deal for most as it seems everyone these days has countless online devices laden with apps, but as someone who doesn't own a mobile phone or a tablet or a kindle or anything like that, it's something I miss. The Wii U controller was my go-to way of browsing the web, far and away my favourite way of using youtube and my preferred way to draw. When I sold the Wii U, I expected the Switch to substitute and improve on the Wii U in every aspect. It hasn't.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Indeed.

Comment

I've decided last night that I don't really like the Switch but Mario Odyssey, Arms, Mario Kart 8 DLX and Splatoon 2 are all brilliant!!

The fact I've had to carry out two different repairs on mine in the time I e owned it shows it is a pretty shoddily made piece of kit.

The JoyCons don't feel particularly sturdy when attached to the screen, the battery life is rubbish, the screen stupidly reflective and the cost of games compared to rival formats is ridiculous!

Saying that, I'm travelling to Manchester by train in a couple of weeks and I'll be taking it with me!

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    Pot flipping kettle Nintendo!

Comment

Yeah, forking out £50, £60 (can't remember how much pro controllers cost) for a decent controller was annoying. I know some folk love the joy cons but I ain't touched mine since trying them on launch day. £70 worth of kit gone untouched because of poor design. Comfort and control should be the main focus when designing any controller, anything that gets in the way of that is **** design.

Comment

Their pipeline is so slow now that I've stopped thinking they're taking time making the games and instead feel they just don't have many in development.

Released:
                        Mario Tennis Aces
                        Kirby Star Allies
                        1-2 Switch
                        ARMS
                        Nintendo Labo
                        Splatoon 2
                        Super Mario Odyssey
                        Fire Emblem: Warriors (Omega Force)
                        Flip Wars
                        Snipperclips

It's not so much a slating of the quality but there's a strong whiff of lower budget fare there, the type of stuff that would usually compliment the bigger releases that are mostly absent. Mario Odyssey is the main gun here and arguably still the only major Switch specific project Nintendo has released. ARMS is notable but calling a spade a spade was clearly released in an incomplete form ala Splatoon 1 to meet a deadline with the rest of the game added as free updates to soften the blow.

Ported:
                        Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
                        The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
                        Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
                        Hyrule Warriors
                        Bayonetta
                        Bayonetta 2
                        Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Almost as long a list and whilst strong stuff its key that this is scarily close to being a 50/50 split in the releases on the system meaning we're still yet to see Nintendo put any real effort or resources publically into content. That leaves...

Upcoming:
                        Fire Emblem: Three Houses
                        Super Mario Party
                        Pokémon RPG
                        Pokémon Let's Go
                        Yoshi (Good Feel)
                        Metroid Prime 4 (Namco)
                        Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Namco)
                        Bayonetta 3 (Platinum)

The key upcoming announced games that stretch far into late 2019 at a minimum. Though again notably they're the ones being outsourced. Outsourcing isn't bad per se but if they're open to that then do the same with series they can't be bothered using themselves.

It's been like this for more years than would be fiscally responsible. Nintendo's cagey nature around announcements lately for future games also adds to the feeling that they just have little in the cooking pot. It could well be that Nintendo is sitting on a dozen major franchises and entries for 2019 and will really respond to lessons from the past but it'd be a first.

Prediction?
                        -Nintendo stays quiet on 2019 releases all the way until mid-March 2019 with nothing of note released post-Smash Bros
                        -Yoshi and Fire Emblem coast them till the Xmas period and they knock out Bayonetta 3 in Sept and Pokémon RPG in November
                        -They might show Metroid Prime 4, announce some bits akin to a new Mario Golf etc but for the most part we'll be having the same discussing in a year when the release schedule is staring down the barrel of the fourth year gun

Like with Batman Season One, it's nice being able to catch up with some backlog at times I otherwise couldn't but I often feel any enjoyment the system offers is in spite of Nintendo rather than due to them

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          The fact I've had to carry out two different repairs on mine in the time I e owned it shows it is a pretty shoddily made piece of kit.
                          That crack by the power button on mine has now come off, so there is a chip of plastic missing here now. The unit has been treated really well and there are too many reports of this exact thing online for it to be anything other than a build issue (old PSP models had almost the exact same issue). Also I had to send my joycons to be repaired because it was registering input when I wasn't touching the sticks, so characters would wander off on their own. Took close to a month to get them back. A couple of months later and they've started doing the same thing.

So yeah. I think there are design and build issues.

Edit: seems a bit disingenuous to call Breath of the Wild a port when it was released simultaneously with the WiiU version and only feels like it got a WiiU version at all as a gesture to owners given that the system was effectively dead.
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 24-08-2018, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            That crack by the power button on mine has now come off, so there is a chip of plastic missing here now.
                            I've got a spare shell if you want it. Ordered one from eBay but got impatient so ordered another from Amazon.

Was gonna keep it just in case but seeing as when I (rarely) use the Switch it's in docked mode I can send it to you if you want along with the screwdrivers to remove and replace.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              I've got a spare shell if you want it. Ordered one from eBay but got impatient so ordered another from Amazon.
                              Wow, that's incredibly kind of you! Really appreciate the offer. I'm tempted to just leave it for the moment because it's such a small chip that it feels like everything else is pretty secure... I hope. Have you replaced your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Have you replaced your own?
                                I did. Touch wood it's okay for now. Wasn't too tricky either but you need to be really careful as Nintendo have used, for want of a better description "soft screws" so it is really easy to destroy the thread on them if you're overzealous.

Just let me know if you change your mind though.

Comment

Working...
                                X