Mission Impossible VI: Fallout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice interview with the director here:
    'Mission: Impossible — Fallout' director Christopher McQuarrie reveals that Tom Cruise pushed to go darker with Ethan Hunt in this installment.

Comment

Saw this again last night because the missus said she wanted to see it.
      Still good on second viewing, although I've had a week of late nights and early mornings and dozed a little at the start, which I'm annoyed with myself about.

Some things that stood out were the use of music - There's a clever use of strings I liked:
      "[In the planned heist scene] I was thinking the music was going to be this almost grating, a high-pitched whine, something really disturbing. It was when [composer] Lorne Balfe played that piece of music for me, that was one of the first things Lorne wrote before there was even a movie. That piece is playing over the wedding, the Ilsa and Ethan scene, but all the high strings are taken out. It’s also playing over the Ilsa-Luther (Ving Rhames) scene and the scene at the end. It became this music — high strings and low — that represented Ethan’s burden and Ethan’s regret. It plays in all of those moments in the movie."

I also was amazed at some of the long tracking shots. The section with the HALO jump, running on the London rooftops and climbing the rope.

I was also impressed at how little CGI I saw. I'm sure it was riddled with it, but it's subtly done so you don't see it, which is the perfect application of it in movies like this.

I'm hoping this is out on 3D Blu-Ray in time to put on my Christmas list!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I was also impressed at how little CGI I saw. I'm sure it was riddled with it, but it's subtly done so you don't see it, which is the perfect application of it in movies like this.
        This is the first thing I said to my mate as the credits rolled. Also, I had no idea how they pulled off certain things

Cruise and Cavill being thrown around like ragdolls in their helicopters

but also didn't want to know, it was so believably done.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          This is the first thing I said to my mate as the credits rolled. Also, I had no idea how they pulled off certain things

Cruise and Cavill being thrown around like ragdolls in their helicopters

but also didn't want to know, it was so believably done.
          I think there's a hook towards the end that I suspect was CGI, but it's all subtle nudges on your peripheral vision, like Fury Road, rather than being the focus.

Similarly to what you said, I was thinking about

Cruise climbing the rope on that helicopter. I couldn't see any nets or carabiner and he was moving both hands and legs!

Like you say, I don't think I want to know, but the fact Cruise broke his ankle during filming meant he was definitely pushing the limits of what's safe!

Comment

To give an indicator without stomach churning risk taking details:

HALO Jump
            For the sequence where he and Cavill Halo jump out of the plane, Cruise became the first major actor not only to ever complete the jump but he also had to do it around 100 times including practice jumps in order to get the shots needed. The United Arab Emirates was the only country in the world to allow him to do the stunt. Because of when the scene is set there was only a single three minute window per day to film so they had to go out each day per filming attempt. The sequence looks quite CG in places but its a unique occasion where its inverted from most movies sequences where in everything involving Cruise is real and the CG was used to add Paris and Cavill to the sequence.

The Free Climb
            Like Mission Impossible 2, the sequence where Cruise is climbing unassisted up the smooth rock face is real

Motorbike Chase
            The sequence required a high number of stunt drivers but Cruise rode the bike himself free of any safety equipment throughout the entire sequence

Helicopter Chase
            Cruise trained for, applied and gained a helicopter license over the course of six weeks to do this stunt. Much of the stunt work required close proximity flying often less than a rotor blades width distance from gulley walls and the other helicopter. All this footage is real footage including the barrel roll that Cruise performs,the climb from beneath the chopper and the drop onto the hanging bag. Apparently the sequence had been worked on since 2012. Cavill was in the rival chopper during the sequence too. The only part that breaks from the real scenario is the finale crash which was created on a studio backlot. They made replica helicopters on a replica snowy cliff and inside the helicopter replicas were safety roll cages. The replicas were then slammed into the ground to simulate the crash impact but during filming both actors were inside the replicas so they could film them being rolled and banged around. The hanging chopper sequence is then on a soundstage replica.

Apparently the number of stunt doubles for Cruise utilised throughout the full runtime of Fallout is... zero

Comment

Holy moly, that's impressive!

Comment

Wow, amazing stuff Supes ... it's great that all that dedication and risk created something extra special, and noticeably a cut above.

Comment

It's particularly impressive when you look at the other films too. The knife to the eye in MI2 was real too!

Comment

Respect to Cruise, but I think it's an outrage that there's still not an Oscar for stunts, when there's one for sound mixing or hair.

Comment

I saw this on Saturday and it was really bloody good. The skydive sequence was amazingly kinetic and realistic and now I know why. Highly recommended, definitely among the best entries in this series, and better than the last two (easily beating the rather weak Ghost Protocol but also a better film than the decent Rogue Nation).

Tom Cruise is a goddamn legend when it comes to stunts.
                      Last edited by wakka; 13-08-2018, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
                      X