Retro VGS, a new cartdirge-based console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro VGS, a new cartdirge-based console

So...uhm...let's first take a look at this.

It's not an Atari Jaguar, it's a Retro Video Games System, a new cartridge-based console that will play "original 2D titles". The project is the brainchild of Mike Kennedy, publisher of Retro Magazine, that will hit Kickstarter this summer.
    The Retro VGS looks like a Jaguar because it will be produced using the same tooling of that console, chassis and internal hardware; the pad will be different from the original Jaguar pad.
    According to the producing team, "RETRO VGS will reestablish the culture of video gaming, something that has been slowly dismantled over the last couple console generations. It will promote game ownership, tangibility and collectability. There will be no system updates, digital downloads or buggy games."

Interested in a lot of renders where only colours change? Head over http://www.retrovgs.com/, maybe there will be updates.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 26-05-2015, 13:01. Reason: changed title as per QC suggestion.

yeah i really cannot see the purpose of this saw it a while back and i really did not see the point ...would much rather them put the money into making games on current consoles or pc
    Last edited by eastyy; 24-05-2015, 20:37.

Comment

Using the same shell mould as the Jaguar, LOL thats not going to do well then

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I'm not going to say no to the idea. Yet.

Comment

Spastic idea, there's thousands of old games to play.

Comment

Load of rubbish. Cemented by the fact it uses the same shell as a Jag, which is also a load of rubbish.

Comment

I approve of the sentiment at least. I have completely stopped playing current games now... Ace Combat Infinity broke my heart with it's gameplay inspired by greed.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this machine would be capable of running anything like Ace Combat, so...

Comment

Who needs Ace Combat when you can have Cybermorph?

Urhm...

Comment

It looks like a Pakistani Megadrive.

Comment

Looks like **** because it is ****. Who in there right mind would want their console to look like a Jaguar? The Jag has nothing but bad memories simply because it was a bad system for gaming.

I love my Retro gaming but I'd rather and will put my money in to buying games by professional game studio made for hardware that has a history. I other words real consoles from the past.

Comment

I like the jaguar and have almost all games for it too, offcourse to each their own oppinion but Saying the jaguar is **** is like i don't know man, the console had a lot of potential that was never really utilised.
                      Everybody likes to talk trash about the jaguar but how many actually played the system itself (for a decent amount of time)

to stay on topic it's a neat idea to release a console like in the old days but it's never going to make their kickstarter goals and even if it did it's going to fail hard. ( just like the ouya did)
                      Last edited by Kazumn; 25-05-2015, 12:18.

Comment

Doesn't help I played a PAL one I suppose. Playing anything with masses of slowdown makes me ill.

Also I'd suggest editing your post so you aren't circumventing the swear filter. That in itself is against the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazumn View Post
                          I like the jaguar and have almost all games for it too, offcourse to each their own oppinion but Saying the jaguar is **** is like i don't know man, the console had a lot of potential that was never really utilised.
                          Everybody likes to talk trash about the jaguar but how many actually played the system itself (for a decent amount of time)

to stay on topic it's a neat idea to release a console like in the old days but it's never going to make their kickstarter goals and even if it did it's going to fail hard. ( just like the ouya did)
                          I played the Jag awful lot and stand by my opinion that it was a terrible system. The hardware was OK but the games were not. Even the almighty Alien VS Predator isn't that good. Compared to the 16 bit consoles of the time it had nothing that made me ever want one. It's best game was Rayman and that came out on the Saturn and PlayStation plus was originally a Snes game before development was cancelled.

Comment

I like the look of this console, but would never buy one

Comment

Maybe it's a Jaguar because they got hold of the mold/template/whatever for cheap?

Originally posted by Kazumn View Post
                              the console had a lot of potential that was never really utilised.
                              Fair enough, but whatever its potential was is irrelevant because of how things eventually played out. If you have an awesome system without enough decent games that flops badly then people will say it was rubbish, whereas a system with low-end tech but amazing games will be called the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                              X