No announcement yet.

Sea of Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it's passable in solo but an absolute gem in co-op... I haven't fired up the full game for this reason but I was in the alpha/beta.

I'm currently a bit too hooked on AC Origins DLC so I'm going to hold off triggering my game pass codes for a month.

Comment

I've been playing, but I'm hesitant to spend too much time on it at the moment due to the server instabilities. Had a decent game earlier today with some players who just started, tought them how to take out voyages for the different factions, made them all man the ship themselves so they knew how once I left. It was pretty fun seeing them 'get' it. But as we were heading back to cash in, boop, disconnect. They must of been gutted, having that as their first experience.

Comment

Played a bit more today. Was joined by someone who didn’t have a mic but clearly knew what they were doing, Managed to use the in-game chat system to get them to raise sails, drop anchors and so forth. Worked surprisingly well. Would’ve been better if we'd actually been able to chat.

I knew next to nothing about this game when I started playing. The game loop is fairly repetitive. But bugger me if I haven’t got caught up in it. Really enjoyable just sailing about the seas and plundering treasure.

Comment

stinking up the meta sites with a 67%

Be The Pirate You Want To Be - With musket loaded and grog in hand, the freedom of the pirate life awaits. What will your legend be? An epic multiplayer adventure. Crew up and set sail on memorable voyages. Make and break your pirates' code on the Sea of Thieves. A treacherous shared world. Plot your course and set sail for hidden riches. Navigate the perils of a fantastical world and the danger of rival crews.

Seems the main issues is that while grouping up and sailing the sea is exhilarating at first you soon realize that their is not much to do once you've mastered the sailing and got good at it, their is no progression system no new weapon, no ship upgrades and everything is cosmetic, it also seems that the quests are very limited too, so id say this suffers from no mans sky syndrome a massive world that will offer no surprises after the first 10 hours.

it seems the community is pretty toxic too, their are numerous posts on reddit about how griefers are using systems put in place to stop griefing.

Take scuttling this lets you destroy your ship and move to a different part of the map the idea is if your getting grief and have no treasure on board you can move to a different part of the map for no penalty. But there are reports that people are using scuttling to beat players to port and wait there and kill them. One reddit posts goes on about how as a solo solo player he was outrunning this team fair and square, he's heading to port thinking hes home free.

The pursing ship was miles behind when suddenly they scuttle their ship and immediately spawn at the port he's heading to and come out to meet him. He changes which port hes headed to and they keep scuttliing and blocking him from getting his treasure to port. he eventually gets fed up and try's to make a dash for it but they kill him, and instead of stealing his ship and treasure just keep killing him over and over forcing him to log to out if he wants to continue playing.

likewise the brig system is like a sin bin for players who are spoiling the game for others rather than just a vote to kick this system locks your player in place and in the brig, matchmaking is full of stories of people who just put players in the brig for no reason just because they can. again you could help a team get treasure all eve and at the last minute they could say "no treasure for you and put you in the brig" and just leave you their forcing you to log off.

this game is all sorts of broken it seems.
          Last edited by Lebowski; 23-03-2018, 09:23.

Comment

To be honest, it's not much of a surprise. A game of this nature is well outside Rare's wheelhouse and the studios last traditionalesque title was a decade ago. The beta and the feedback to the final game seems to suggest they had the best of intentions but have run before they can walk, biting off more than they can chew with a large open and online title. They supposedly have two other titles in development, hopefully they include something that plays to Rare's strengths.

Comment

This generally sums up why I very rarely play games online......

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              stinking up the meta sites with a 67%

Be The Pirate You Want To Be - With musket loaded and grog in hand, the freedom of the pirate life awaits. What will your legend be? An epic multiplayer adventure. Crew up and set sail on memorable voyages. Make and break your pirates' code on the Sea of Thieves. A treacherous shared world. Plot your course and set sail for hidden riches. Navigate the perils of a fantastical world and the danger of rival crews.

Seems the main issues is that while grouping up and sailing the sea is exhilarating at first you soon realize that their is not much to do once you've mastered the sailing and got good at it, their is no progression system no new weapon, no ship upgrades and everything is cosmetic, it also seems that the quests are very limited too, so id say this suffers from no mans sky syndrome a massive world that will offer no surprises after the first 10 hours.

it seems the community is pretty toxic too, their are numerous posts on reddit about how griefers are using systems put in place to stop griefing.

Take scuttling this lets you destroy your ship and move to a different part of the map the idea is if your getting grief and have no treasure on board you can move to a different part of the map for no penalty. But there are reports that people are using scuttling to beat players to port and wait there and kill them. One reddit posts goes on about how as a solo solo player he was outrunning this team fair and square, he's heading to port thinking hes home free.

The pursing ship was miles behind when suddenly they scuttle their ship and immediately spawn at the port he's heading to and come out to meet him. He changes which port hes headed to and they keep scuttliing and blocking him from getting his treasure to port. he eventually gets fed up and try's to make a dash for it but they kill him, and instead of stealing his ship and treasure just keep killing him over and over forcing him to log to out if he wants to continue playing.

likewise the brig system is like a sin bin for players who are spoiling the game for others rather than just a vote to kick this system locks your player in place and in the brig, matchmaking is full of stories of people who just put players in the brig for no reason just because they can. again you could help a team get treasure all eve and at the last minute they could say "no treasure for you and put you in the brig" and just leave you their forcing you to log off.

this game is all sorts of broken it seems.

Comment

But there's plenty of great online gaming to be had elsewhere.

That's like despising all video games because your dad bought you Rise of the Robots one day.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

That's like despising all video games because your dad bought you Rise of the Robots one day.
                  Or Superman 64 as your only Christmas present

Comment

Well in relation to no mans sky, I agree I played for 2 hours sailed the lovely sea and that’s it, I don’t even call it a game, just as no mans sky was and drew me in for a hour or so

I go as far to say that I hate this game, I can see why some would like it, but I just prefer a bit more action, and I spent 10 minutes in a room on PUBG and that was more entertaining than sea of thieves.

has there ever been a good pirate game can anybody remember one.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Yeah, I guess.
                      All the ones I try are ruined by people though.
                      I hate people.

Comment

Originally posted by arcnas View Post
                        Well in relation to no mans sky, I agree I played for 2 hours sailed the lovely sea and that’s it, I don’t even call it a game, just as no mans sky was and drew me in for a hour or so

I go as far to say that I hate this game, I can see why some would like it, but I just prefer a bit more action, and I spent 10 minutes in a room on PUBG and that was more entertaining than sea of thieves.

has there ever been a good pirate game can anybody remember one.
                        How dare you!!!!,

Monkey Island DUDE!!! fantastic game, fantastic humor an absolute classic

Comment

Oh yes I forgot about that one just don’t add sea of thieves to the list and that people can put you in jail just about finished the game I hate it

Comment

Originally posted by Budge74 View Post
                            Yeah, I guess.
                            All the ones I try are ruined by people though.
                            I hate people.
                            I hear that. League of Legends is another example. An amazing game let down by the toxic community.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              So anyone playing this yet?

If so, has it been via the Games Pass system?

Been meaning to as was pleased it would be getting it 'free' via Game Pass at £3 a month.

Turned it on, am given no guidance as to what i am doing, hate the typical Rare art style but can live with that. Wandered aimlessly until i went into a hut and bought a quest, which then told me to go to my boat.

That would be my boat that is invisible then. Wandered about for ten minutes looking for it, picked my nose to cure the boredom (in real life). Was an electric blue plume out to sea so to cure my boredom i swam out to it, turns out that is my boat. Got on it, no one else on board yet its sailing along. Went to the table, laid out my quest and nothing happened.

Paused the game to Google what i am supposed to be doing and an achievement popped up a good minute later that i had set out to sail for the first time.

So far not impressed. Think i need my hand to be held by somene who knows what they are doing with more patience than me, but it shouldn't be like this.
                              Last edited by Pavey; 31-03-2018, 06:55.

Comment

I had no clue what I was doing when I first fired it up. Got lucky that a random joined and was happy to talk me through it. Give be me a shout if you see me online and I'll happily run you through the basics.

Comment

Working...
                                X