Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/new-jura...story-details/

Pratt once again reiterates that the Isla Nubar action from the next movie only covers the first half with the second half moving into more of a horror area. Trevorrow says that if the first JW movie was an action adventure, this one is a horror-suspense movie whilst the third World entry and sixth Park entry that he will direct will be a science thriller more akin to the tone of the original Jurassic Park entry.
    It's funny, really. People are judging movies now not just on the strength of the trailer as an advert (I mean that's what trailers are for) but also on the material that appears in the trailer.

Hollywood is asking us not to do this, because they haven't put the whole movie in the trailer.

However, it's come about because Hollywood is emerging from an era where they did put the whole movie into trailers! I'll never forget the time I saw a Batman vs Superman trailer about a month before the movie came out, when I was at the cinema seeing a different movie. It was a kind of "extended" trailer and I felt I'd seen the whole film!

Comment

Yeah, it's nice that they're slowly moving away from that again. There seemed to be a few cases of films getting bitten on the backside due to overly eager marketing teams who blew twists in the first trailer and presumably it's reintroduced some caution back into the game.

Comment

After Colin Trevorrow first signed on to direct “Jurassic World,” he mapped out a plan for an entire trilogy. With the sequel “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,” he handed over the reins to director J.A. Bayona but was still involved in the second film’s writing. In fact he was so involved that at one point, he […]

Producers have confirmed that the film uses more animatronics than any of the other JP sequels

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          http://www.darkhorizons.com/jurassic...oo-much-story/

Producers have confirmed that the film uses more animatronics than any of the other JP sequels

Comment

I know it ruins the magic, but I love seeing how these things work.
            Here's the T-Rex from JPIII:

I'd love to have a behind-the-scenes tour of the Jurassic Park Ride!

Comment

Nothing's sacred, Universal Studios Hollywood is to close its Jurassic Park ride so it can be replaced next year by a Jurassic World one

Comment

To be fair, it opened in '96, so it's had a fair run.
                That T-Rex ending is amazing, though.
                I've not been for a while and The Mummy is one of my favourite rides, combining all sorts of tricks like launched sections, videoscreens, heat and darkness, so I know newer ones are likely to be even more impressive.

That link sent me down a rabbit hole I don't have time for!
                Universal are building a new park, Nintendo World.
                Disney are building more Star Wars and Marvel stuff.
                16 secrets Disney want to bury.
                Simon Pegg wants to play Captain Britain.

Comment

Universal Studios Hollywood has been dead to me ever since they got rid of the BTTF ride

Comment

Mate, about ten years ago, a girl in the office I worked at asked me "What's Back to the Future?"

Not "I've not seen Back to the Future", she had NO IDEA what it was.

I'll be honest, I quite liked her before that, but I've never actually forgiven her and have thought less of her ever since.

Comment

Lol bloody hell. Ten years ago I went to Universal Osaka as it was the last remaining BTTF ride. Really great ride that. Sadly the Osaka one too closed two years ago. QC's comment sadly shows why!

Nintendo World is gonna be amazing and I'm 100% there for that. Like you QC I'm a theme park dork. I've been to every Disney except Hong Kong and every Universal except Singapore. Planning to tick off the former next year, really want to go on Mystic Manor

Comment

She's a philistine! I'd have sorted her out good and proper with a copy of the trilogy

Comment

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], that's cool, man.
                          I like the idea of comparing the different parks and how the Disney vibe is slightly altered for local tastes.

I prefer Universal, though.

Personally, a lot of the rides are carbon copies, so although I'd do the parks, I'd probably prioritise other parks first.

Don't forget, we have a roller coaster thread:

I'm curious if yours have changed since 2009's Japan-heavy list!

Mine probably haven't because, well, kids came along and hampered my coaster holidays.

Comment

Finishing work early today to see this in a few hours time. Reviews are out and they're not that great but after reading a few... I'm kind of struggling to take them seriously. I find the JP series is one that critics and internet warriors almost go out of their way to rage against. The films aren't inventive or aim to hold anywhere near the impact the original did but they're solid popcorn blockbusters existing just to entertain which seems to really jar against those who wish they'd have loftier ambitions. World gets such a kicking yet its a solid film that's mostly weakened by how closely it sticks to the first films framework like Force Awakens did. By the sounds FK is somewhat similar but designed to jolt the franchise off this repeated mould for future entries. Consensus seems to be that Fallen is a little better than World - so I'm not that concerned at this point.

Comment

Okay, I'll write up a proper response tomorrow. I liked it but I can totally get why some reviews didn't.

Comment

For those who haven't seen the film, my one word review - and I'm choosing this word carefully - would be Decent.

It's a solid sequel in the same sense that Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World and Jurassic Park III were. If you hated those films you'll likely hate this, if you hated Jurassic World you're definitely going to hate this. But if you're usually fine with each entry there's nothing offensively different about the film, neither does it excel anywhere either hence the best word for it is decent.

However, when you go, do yourself a favour - watch the film, go home, then look up what the post-credit sequence is. It's nothing essential, it's less than 4 seconds in length and isn't remotely worth staying for but if you look it up before you'll know how Fallen Kingdom pans out.

Now, the spoiler write up:

Imagine if Lost World spent a lot less time on Isla Sorna and a lot more time in San Francisco, in a way that's the approach Fallen Kingdom takes and it raises a spectre of concern that I think will haunt Jurassic World 3 before release for me. The trouble with FK is it has an air of Last Jedi about it as in it's quite concerned with breaking the series formula for future instalments and so forgets to be it's own complete film.

One of the reasons I feel the two sequels weren't as well received before World went big is that the franchise has several core components that make the films fully work and one of those is the Park itself. Everytime the series moves away from that it decends in to a generic territory that anything with dinosaurs usually occupies. World brought the series back to that set up, the issue being the limitations that brings.

It's here that the argument that they should stop making the films comes in, Fallen Kingdom suggests that time has definitely come. I would take another predictable film of the characters trawling through the overgrown remains of Jurassic Park and World over one of Dinosaurs on the mainland any day. Without the parks the series feels redundant.

Chop off the entire second half, rework it then sew it onto the front of the film so events at the house and the impending destruction of Isla Nubla forces them back to the island for a heavily drowned nostalgia trip that ends with that closing shot on the dock and you'd have a much more appealing film and one that could also cap off the entire franchise. Instead the film breezes through its first hour without paying anywhere near enough time or attention to its setting or circumstances then loses momentum for a cheaper anti-climatic wrap up.

It gets by because there are multiple solid moments, the horroresque elements work in the films favour just as they did for JP3 which is a fair praise considering the second half contains the films most eye rolling twist.

Honestly, I enjoyed it - it's just a little frustrating knowing what it could have been and where it seems to want the series to continue in terms of direction. Misguided is the word.

Comment

Working...
                                X