[3DS] Labyrinth No Kanata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3DS] Labyrinth No Kanata

Should have started this thread three years ago...but I didn't had the game three years ago! As a way to test my new PC and capture/editing programs, I decided to pop Labyrinth no Kanata in my 3DS last Sunday. I bought this game during my last trip to Japan, and from the screenshots on the case I thought it was an action game...honestly!
    Instead I get a dungeon crawler with NES (or better, Famicom) level graphics. Alright, I just hope that this isn't an other Dark Spire (not because it's bad, but because it was like the old Wizardry games).

You don't get to create a character, you just chose your name and set foot in a dungeon, where you are soon joined by three other members. Party members and enemies are colour-coded based on their elemental affinity: red, blue, and green, arranged in a rock-paper-scissor mechanic for weaknesses and strenghts. Encounters are turn-based, and you can select the strenght of your attacks; more powerful attacks will force a party member to wait more time between attacks, and the turn progression is indicated on the lower screen. Every time you (or your enemies) exploit an elemental weakness the damage dealt will be added to a pool, shared between you and enemies, that will be used by the next attacker to heal itself, as long as elemental affinities match.
    For example: one of your red characters strikes one blue enemy; blue is weak against red, the enemy takes damage and the same amount is added to the red elemental pool; next a green enemy attacks, dealing damage to one of your green characters; nothing is added to the green pool and the red pool is not used because there was no affinity; now, let's say that one of your red characters attacks: he depletes the red pool and heal himself. If, in place of your red character, a red enemy would have attacked, the enemy would have depleted the red pool, healing himself.

The available items aren't your usual collection: instead of healing potions and such, you have items to skip one turn (if you want a certain character to benefit from an elemental pool), items that change a character's affinity and so on. Judging by the available item slots, there are only few item types in the whole game, and the battle system largely rests on your ability to exploit the elemental triangle.

This system takes a while to get used to, but it's kinda nice, as it gives battles a strategic layer seldomly seen in recent dungeon crawlers; it can be unforgiving, and even basic encounters can turn out disastrous if you mismanage the elemental pool. This is particularly true against bosses or stronger-than-normal encounters, that degenerate almost immediately in a slugglish match where you try to have a character with the enemy's elemental affinity act before the enemy to keep it from healing.
    Monsters are visible and move around the dungeon, and it's possible to initiate a battle from afar, giving your party a turn advantage; some enemies can only attack at close range, and even ranged enemies have shorter ranges than your party (that, BTW, is apparently composed only by mages).

As said before, the game starts out with 8-bit aesthetics, but then switches to modern graphics when you meet The Girl. I don't know her name, I call her The Girl or Kanata. The switch in graphics also means that your party gets transported into this new dimension with "real" graphics, but being the text completely in Japanese, details of the story are obscure to me. TG serves as your proxy in this new labyrinth, as only she is able to pick up items and interact with doors, elevators, and levers. Your characters can still attack, and for a while they'll be the only one able to; as you progress through the game TG gets the ability to attack with untyped/grey magic, as well as healing powers, though you can't control her actions during battles.

Experience is shared between your party members, and can only be assigned at rock slabs found at every 4/5 floors: you can upgrade health (10 pts per 50 HPs increase) or attack (500 pts per level increase) for each party member. Health is self-expliantory, but attack doesn't increase the overall damage, it adds a third (and so on) attack level to deliver a stronger attack for a longer wait to the next turn.
    When TG gets her attack/healing powers, you can also switch how party members contribute to her exclusive untyped/grey pool. The mechanics behind that are still a bit unclear, but you can switch between adding to her pool or multiply that by some factor (I think based on the elemental triangle).

The game controls are somewhat different from what I'm used to: you can control your point of view with X and B, L and R (up, down, left, right) and you can move at 45 degrees rather than being constrained to 90 degrees increments; strafing is linked to left and right on the analog nub, which I find rather strange, but that's due to all those hours spent with Etrian Odyssey. Moving at 45 degrees is a nice addition, but you are still constrained by imaginary tiles, and movement sits uncomfortably between "constrained" tile-based and completely free roaming. Holding the analog nub in one direction for a long time isn't particularly comfortable either, and you can't use the d-pad as that moves the map, displayed on the lower screen.

As a whole, Labyrinth no Kanata is an interesting title, worth checking out if you like dungeon crawlers.

And...some footage.

The exploration of the labyrinth continues.

Some addendum to the game rules: one item (luckily the most common one) allows a party member to skip a turn, so that you can avoid to waste attacks on enemies that will heal instantly after that or focus on healing a character. Other items (much more rare) let you heal the party if you have stock in the elemental pool, redistribute experience points, change elemental affinity to one party member, or change how attacks add to the girl's neutral pool.

Along adding stock to the elemental pool, attacks build up TG's neutral (and exclusive) pool. Party members with a + add to that pool, members with x multiply the available stock with a certain amount, based on elemental weaknesses. When TG attacks, she completely depletes her pool and it's multiplied by her HPs; each enemy killed by TG will increase her maximum pool. Being her attacks untyped, they can do a lot of damage to all enemies, as long as she has lots of HPs; below 30%, her attacks are nearly worthless.

And here's one of the game's main problems (at least for me that I can't read the instructions): enemies target the weakest link in your party, TG soon becomes the weakest link, as you cannot heal her unless you touch save points located or blue healing spots; save points are available each 4 or 5 floors, and healing spots aren't that common (some floors won't have any). If TG gets killed it's game over, while your party can of course withstand losing all but one members; losing members becomes more and more difficult as you progress through the labyrinth and build up experience; with attack power ups requiring a lot of experience, HPs for all members grow up pretty quickly, and once you get to know how the system works, it's rather easy to keep the party healthy.
    I still haven't found a reliable way to heal TG, I know it's possible, and it's probably linked to filling her neutral pool to the max, and her next attack will damage enemies and heal the whole party. Unfortunately I've only managed to trigger it twice, and I wasn't really paying attention to that particular mechanic.
    Losing TG when your party is at full health is particularly bothersome, especially when you went through a whole floor and you're facing an unexpected boss fight; that means starting back from the last save point, and hopefully you've remembered to save at the beggining of the floor. You can only save when you first reach a floor, but at least that save can be loaded as many times as you want.

It's possible to backtrack to previous floors where save points are, and you won't get as many enemies as your first time on an already visited floor, but movement is very slow, and even going through a floor the first time is kinda boring. You can move at 45 degrees, which is great, but even after so many hours, movement still feels like a weird mix between usual dungeon crawling and completely free roaming. It's not bad, it's just weird.

Enemy encounters link well with the battle system, with enemies changing colours when struck with elemental weaknesses, enemies that change + or x symbols, and enemies roughly centered around two colours per floor. The only thing is that enemy variety is next-to non existent, as all boil down to a colour rather than an opponent; enemies have different HPs, defenses, and looks, but apart their colour (and every enemy can be of any of the three colours), nothing else tells them apart game-wise.

Not a great dungeon crawler, but I'm having my share of fun.

Comment

Thanks for the in depth impressions, not for me I don't think but I know you like your dungeons Sir!

Comment

It's pretty cheap on Amazon i'm rather tempted by this one.

Comment

Working...
        X