Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not liking a popular game is fine. Naming a top-rated game 'the worst of the worst' and actually advising people to avoid it when most people have found them to be wonderful gaming experiences is plain trolling.
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 31-07-2015, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      A trolling list if ever I saw one.

I have a real one though - Robotica on the Sega Saturn. Technically for back in the day it looked pretty good. But it was just about the dullest game I have ever played.

Bland endless mazes with bland enemies and no reason to care about anything. Slow and dull. If you're ever tempted to play it, don't bother. Play Alien Trilogy instead.
      This is my choice too. It was the kind of crushing disappointment that could (probably) only happen pre-Internet ... bought on the strength of a couple of screenshots and lines of magazine copy. There was also the factor that the Saturn had so few new titles available at the time and I was desperate for something new. The Dead-loss Encounter was the low point of Saturn ownership.

Comment

Alone in the Dark 2 on PAL Saturn is appalling, it's so slow to move about or do anything it's almost impossible. Still tempted to try other versions mind!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          That is his opinion though, you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong.

And I agree with him about Tomb Raider tbh. zzzz
          But my opinion is that his opinion is completely annoying...

on a side note, tomb raider wasn't dull and had some of the best music in any video game. just my opinion.
          Last edited by boxhead; 31-07-2015, 09:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Alone in the Dark 2 on PAL Saturn is appalling, it's so slow to move about or do anything it's almost impossible. Still tempted to try other versions mind!
            There's nothing wrong with it - or at least, you'll find the other versions are the same. Alone in the Dark was never an amazing game (those who think so, please play it now as opposed to relying on memory). It was impressive because it was one of the first 3D games to have humanoid characters who moved with any degree of accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              Retro games to avoid IMHO would be in no particular order:

1. Xenon II - a poor excuse for a shooter.
              2. Final Fantasy 7 - Drivel.
              3. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation) - A pile of preachy cutscenes with brief gameplay interludes.
              4. Shadow of the Beast - Amiga tech demo which was sold as a game apparently.
              5. Tomb Raider - Dull, dull, dull.
              6. Gran Turismo - grinding is bad.
              7. Donkey Kong Country - Overrated and surprisingly ugly game. Only really looked OK on 14" portables via RF.
              8. Axelay - Not as bad as others on this list but still style over substance.
              9. Super Aleste - worst game in an incredible series. Overly long levels get really boring.
              10. Moonstone (Amiga) - Just don't.
              Well someone owned a Saturn... Or at least this post and the two Sega Saturn videos in the OP make me think I've wandered onto the Official Sega Saturn Forums of 1998, even as a deluded Nintendo fangirl I know Tomb Raider, MGS, FF7 and Gran Turismo are seminal titles. Let it go man...

Donkey Kong Country is pretty awful though, lovely soundtrack but as Retro Studios polished that up and slapped it on a pair of games that both look great and are enjoyable to play I'd say the SNES games can now go on the avoid pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                even as a deluded Nintendo fangirl I know Tomb Raider, MGS, FF7 and Gran Turismo are seminal titles. Let it go man...
                In fairness, the original Tomb Raider was a divisive title. There were people at the time who gave it terrible reviews, because it had a very unique, grid-based control scheme, compared to the more fluid titles that came soon after such as Mario 64.

I think there's a lot to like about it, but it isn't one of those titles like FF7 which tends to get universal praise.

Even Metal Gear Solid is a reasonable game to express hatred of, because the cutscene-heavy gameplay it championed is, for many people, a shining symbol of everything they think is wrong with gaming. I love it, but at the time there were reviewers who complained there was too much watching and not enough doing, and they were worried this trend would catch on.

Comment

I understand what you're saying BUT...

On one hand we have universally acclaimed 9/10 or 10/10 playstation games that a few angry people who complain about everything found something to dislike about them...

On the other we have Superman 64, E.T. (Amiga), Sonic and the Black Knight and Bikini Karate Babes (real game, PC/Mac)

Last edited by Pikate; 31-07-2015, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    In fairness, the original Tomb Raider was a divisive title. There were people at the time who gave it terrible reviews, because it had a very unique, grid-based control scheme, compared to the more fluid titles that came soon after such as Mario 64.

I think there's a lot to like about it, but it isn't one of those titles like FF7 which tends to get universal praise.
                    As this thread is showing, people have differing opinions.

It's interesting you single out Final Fantasy VII to get universal praise, as a lot of people bought it on the hype train only to find they didn't get on with it and it got the tag "the most returned game ever".

This is a retrospective in the truest sense. I've switched on Final Fantasy 7 since its re-release on PSN a few years a…

Comment

If anyone doesn't like Mario 64 though I don't believe you.

Comment

To be fair to [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] I agree with a lot of his list as being poor games & ones I never got on with but to call them worst is a bit OTT
                        They are definitely not what I would call enjoyable but they weren't bad games by any stretch of the imagination just not for me.

If anyone doesn't like Mario 64 though I don't believe you.
                        Erm I'm in that camp.
                        Another one I never enjoyed & when I got my N64 it was one game I never bothered buying
                        I'd borrowed & played it on my mates Jpn N64 & thought that while it was super impressive it just wasn't very fun...again not a bad game just one I never enjoyed.

In fact I find it hard to class any game as worst simply because just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it's the worst we all just have differing tastes.

Neil

Comment

Don't believe you!!

Comment

Don't believe you!!
                            Lol

It's the truth though...I swear on my Masterpiece Soundwave

Comment

This thread has been derailed by a single trolly list, which is really unfortunate. We all get that there are popular games that people don't like. I hate Indian food. I'm not going to call it the worst of the worst and advise you never try it. Because, like Tomb Raider, it might have 91 on the metacritic of world food somewhere and there is far more chance you'll love it than hate it.

How about getting back to the real stinkers?

Comment

I never liked golden eye. By the time I played it on my mates N64, it had already been hyped up into this incredible game that redefined gaming as we knew it.

When I played it however, it was just a bunch of cube-headed characters running around some generic-looking, blurry environments. Plus, my mate had memorised every single part of the map so I had literally no chance of beating him in multiplayer.

Comment

Working...
                                X