Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like Super Mario Kart. It just never clicked with me, although I loved the rest of the series. It isn't a bad game though because so many hold it in very high esteem. Even if they didn't, I wouldn't put it on a "worst ever" list because it isn't a broken game and it can be played.

Comment

Urgh, this is supposed to be "worst retro game ever", not "what highly rated retro game do you hate".

Did nobody play Deep Blue on PC Engine? Worst. Shooter. Ever.

Comment

Going to go out on a limb here and suggest an entire console - the Atari Jaguar. I know it has its fans but I've never played anything on it that I thought was worthwhile. I never even got into Tempest 2000 - though that's available on other machines now too.

Comment

I'll give you ten:

1. Oscar/Dangerous Streets - CD32
          2. Tongue Of The Fatman - MD
          3. Lone Soldier - PS1
          4. Wipeout - Saturn
          5. Doom - Saturn
          6. Cybersled - PS1
          7. Xenon 2 - Amiga/MD
          8. Shadow Of The Beast - Amiga/MD (agree with CMcK on these last two!)
          9. Overblood - PS1
          10. PO'ed - PS1 (never tried the 3DO version)

Comment

micro machines 2 on the snes sucked because it replaced those awesome big pre race pictures of vehicles with these shoddy little, badly scaled images.

Comment

Funny you should mention Doom on the Saturn. When I saw MK2 listed in the first post, Doom on the Saturn was the first game I thought of. The frame rate is atrocious. It is abysmally poor. Has to be one of the hardest Dooms to play because of the damage that frame rate does to your eyes. And yet... I played the whole bloody thing from start to finish. Great sound. But, as Dooms go, it surely must be one of the worst for performance.

I actually like Wipeout on the Saturn. I discussed it quite a bit back in my days as a Wipeoutzone mod and, yeah, it looks well rough, but I think they improved the handling on that version. It's an easier game to play because you can turn better and it's a tiny bit more forgiving when you hit the wall. There is a turn in Silverstream that is impossible to take on the PS1 version above anything than a slow crawl and yet you can get through it at a good pace on the Saturn version and that's what sealed it for me.

Comment

I played through the Saturn version of Wipeout but that frame rate...it was a grind after the PS1 version. 2097 on SS was much more successful (even if it still had a shonky framerate). Gotta say that Gran Chaser was probably worse than W1 on SS...but I liked the sci-fi design better in that!

Oh god. Hi-Octane. Even the PS1 version was bad. And it was all grey and polygonal and simple. Ugh.

Comment

Here's a real stinker to avoid and one you might actually be tempted to waste time with: Yoda Stories on the Gameboy. I bought it back in the day. Star Wars? Yoda? Kind of RPG-like? What's not to like?

It is awful.

The movement is terrible. Really choppy and it barely feels like it is doing what you want it to do - no animation and not even a sprite that moves across the screen. Things just pop from frame to frame. And boring missions of boredom. It's a real shame because a little handheld Star Wars RPG type game like this could be wonderful. But Yoda Stories is not the game you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    This thread has been derailed by a single trolly list, which is really unfortunate. We all get that there are popular games that people don't like. I hate Indian food. I'm not going to call it the worst of the worst and advise you never try it. Because, like Tomb Raider, it might have 91 on the metacritic of world food somewhere and there is far more chance you'll love it than hate it.

How about getting back to the real stinkers?
                    Spot on Dogg Thang, I didn't plan for this thread to be what top rated game do people dislike, CMcK list has derailed the thread a bit. We've had a thread on that subject before.

On the subject of Saturn Doom I did help with the video we did on that too, frame rate is just terrible.

Also where there any decent 3rd party 1 vs 1 beat'em ups that wheren't ports of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter II in the 16 bit era. Games like Clayfighter and Weapon lords where just terrible there collision was all over the place.

The console ports of Hi-Octane are awful was the PC game any good to begin with?
                    Last edited by S3M; 31-07-2015, 14:32.

Comment

Hasn't this thread highlighted that most people are too stupid to be objective?

Road Riot 4WD on SNES is dire. I remember enjoying the arcade game but the SNES port is just garbage.

Comment

Kileak the Blood on PSOne.

My dad rented a PlayStation from Blockbuster and it was the only game they had available.

Put me off buying a PlayStation and waited for the N64 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          Kileak the Blood on PSOne.

My dad rented a PlayStation from Blockbuster and it was the only game they had available.

Put me off buying a PlayStation and waited for the N64 instead.
                          Pity that was so poor. Looked nice but dull dull dull.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            The console ports of Hi-Octane are awful was the PC game any good to begin with?
                            The PC version was OK on a powerful machine. It was far from a brilliant game, but fun. Futuristic racers were uncommon and relatively novel back then after all.

Main thing about it was that it was made using the Magic Carpet engine, and it had that feel of a scratch-built game - i.e. something made up of disparate components. For instance, some of the vehicles were models from Syndicate Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Here's a real stinker to avoid and one you might actually be tempted to waste time with: Yoda Stories on the Gameboy. I bought it back in the day. Star Wars? Yoda? Kind of RPG-like? What's not to like?

It is awful.

The movement is terrible. Really choppy and it barely feels like it is doing what you want it to do - no animation and not even a sprite that moves across the screen. Things just pop from frame to frame. And boring missions of boredom. It's a real shame because a little handheld Star Wars RPG type game like this could be wonderful. But Yoda Stories is not the game you're looking for.
                              I had this. So, so bad. Probably one of the worst games I've ever played.

Comment

Yoda Stories was just dreadful on all platforms, wasn't it? (along with Indy Adventures, which was the Indiana Jones version - I think it was just a reskin).

I don't know how it went further than the PC desktop game it was meant to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X