Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldeneye here too, to this day still don't get what people raved about it for.

Comment

Im baffled. I genuinly loved Goldeneye, Extreem G, SF2. When the Jaguar was fresh, I had always wished I could have had one. I heard rumors from the 'lucky' kids who owned both doom and avp. Touting that the jaguars Doom was the superior version. At the time I was so jealous that I couldnt play it. This stayed with me for a long time. I had always thought the jag version of doom was the best due to this, and felt i had missed out. I remember the older kids at school sneaking the console in to play avp at lunch. I never was allowed to have a go, just spectate with envy.

Most dissapointing for me? Genuinly Quarantine 2. Quarantine for me was jaw droppingly awesome, i loved its cyber feel, and the violence was awesome. To me it was the Doom equivalent to Carmageddon.
      Quarantine 2 just seem to loose all its charm.

Another title that disapointed me was the Snes version of Jurassic Park. I lived in HK at the time. I remember seeing both version playing side by side in a shop.
      Not owning a megadrive, and having a sfc, i always wished i could play that.

I was also dissapointed by the gameboy version of ghostbusters, which i purcashed from toysrus, and felt very underwhelmed.

Hah, i just noticed the title was highly rated, ah well, mine probably dont count.
      Last edited by redstar_dan; 31-07-2015, 23:55.

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
        Another title that disapointed me was the Snes version of Jurassic Park. I lived in HK at the time. I remember seeing both version playing side by side in a shop.
        Not owning a megadrive, and having a sfc, i always wished i could play that.
        That surprises me, as I had the opposite experience. I was a Megadrive owner who thought the MD version (the side-on platform game) looked terrible, and the SNES version (the top-down one with the Doom-style segments) looked amazing!

That makes me think of one thing I miss, retro-gaming wise - I miss the days when a movie IP would be turned into a game, and you'd get a genuinely different game on different platforms.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Streetfighter II, owned it back in the day thanks to it been bundled with my snes found it like the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry. Boring in single player, bit better in 2 player but not by much, i'm aware that i'm a minority as so many love it. Not a huge fan of fighting games to start with but i never got the hype surrounding this one.
        I admit, despite my love of 2D fighters I only really got into fighting games with Virtua Fighter, and only into 2D ones with SF Alpha 2 on the Saturn. I played the earlier ones with friends and had fun, but it was more due to hanging around with my mates than the games themselves.

One thing I've often wondered is how the fighting game genre would've progressed if we'd never had Street Fighter II. Would Art of Fighting or the original Fatal Fury have taken on the status we tend to associate with Street Fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
          Goldeneye here too, to this day still don't get what people raved about it for.
          Four player gaming on a single tv was perhaps at its best with 007.

Comment

I'll try putting this in the right thread this time.

Ico/Shadow of the colossus. When I tried these I expected to be blown away, but for me personally I thought they were awful, literally nothing about them I found enjoyable.

Comment

Off the top of my head...

Any SNES port of any Street Fighter game
              Any Devil May Cry
              Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 or 3
              Kid Icarus (NES)
              Nights into Dreams
              Sin and Punishment

Comment

Tomb Raider on the PS1...I was still getting on fine with SNES and MD when some of my friends were playing this. Its one awful broken game.
                Who Said Diddy Kong racing! I love that game. With Pikake on the DMC series, totally over-rated pap.

Comment

Explain how Tomb Raider is broken.

Comment

The Graphics made me feel ill and the jump mechanic is awful. If that is how its supposed to play, maybe it isn't broken, just horrible.

EDIT

I remember trying it again, and I got to the tigers (I think they were supposed to be tigers) Just the game is so ugly I couldn't tell for sure.
                    Last edited by ShadowDancer; 01-08-2015, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      Explain how Tomb Raider is broken.
                      The tank controls took some time to get over.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                        The tank controls took some time to get over.
                        Tricky indeed but worked fine. The game is grid based so it's tightly designed.

Comment

Its as ugly as sin.

Comment

I didn't think tomb raider was ugly at all by the standards of the time. If you look at most ps1 games now they look pretty aweful.
                            I remember thinking it was pretty amazing at the time and the water looked especially good. The music was absolutely amazing too.

Comment

Yeah I loved Tomb Raider but the tank controls were cumbersome, only the aforementioned art and sound, along with a semblance of a (bonkers) story drew me in.

Comment

My head was still in 16bit land....the 1st 3d ps1 game I saw my friends playing was tomb raider, and my 1st impressions were the graphics, and I thought it looked very ugly.

Comment

Working...
                                X