Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball 3

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 is in development at Team Ninja, the studio announced during today’s Dead or Alive Festival.

Team Ninja have revealed during DOA Festival that Xtreme 3 is in early development. They'll do a full reveal later, no doubt it's the perfect opportunity to expand their immense DLC release schedule

Are these games anything like Beach Spikers (or whatever the early 00s Sega Volleyball game was called) or are they just a T&A-fest?

Comment

They are like Beach Spikers and WaveRace combined, you've got volleyball and jetbykes! Although you'll be better off playing those two than any DOAX.

Comment

The pool hopping minigame in the original is fantastic.

The second game also offers one of the most challenging 1000g achievements on the Xbox 360.

Comment

First screens are out it seems:

Comment

This seems to be getting negative press for a few reasons; they've only confirmed a Japanese release and are saying it'll only get a Western release if there's demand (which some people seem to be interpreting as "we told you westerners not to mod the Steam version of DOA5"), as well as the game only having a subset of the characters, voted for by a Japan-exclusive poll (which apparently suggests that "unpopular" characters like Tina won't feature).

Maybe the previous three didn't sell so well in the West?

Comment

Both consoles are region free now so... -shrug-

Comment

I can imagine that the handheld version sold poorly and the devs do seem to be getting increasingly cynical. The trouble with the Xtreme series is it's not really justified itself in proving there's much game to it beyond the pervy image over the years and versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I can imagine that the handheld version sold poorly and the devs do seem to be getting increasingly cynical. The trouble with the Xtreme series is it's not really justified itself in proving there's much game to it beyond the pervy image over the years and versions.
                  The weird thing is that the first was actually a very good volleyball game (it felt a lot like Virtua Tennis), and the pool-hopping minigame was brilliant too. The sequel seemed to make everything worse. The volleyball became imprecise (and no longer allowed for co-op play on one console), the pool-hopping became trickier because it was based on the colour of the Xbox pad's buttons (the first game's was based on the analogue face-buttons of the original Xbox; one of the few games to use the feature).

Even visually, it was a mixed bag. The characters had hair physics that looked like some kind of seaweed, and the much-vaunted "breast physics" that DOA prides itself on were almost monstrous (seriously, if you find that erotic then I'd hate to be around you when someone pulls out a plate of jelly at a party).

The jetski game added nothing. I can see why they did it (it's a daft excuse to spend three minutes staring at your character bent over) but the actual game was poor.

Some would say I missed the point (fine) but the first got away with being some weird voyeuristic joke because underneath was a genuinely very good game. I don't feel the second one managed that.

Comment

They probably can't be bothered having Polygon etc write 500 misogyny articles about the developers.

Comment

I don't think the lack of Western release is a problem considering both systems are region free. Most of the people that will want to buy an ecchi mini game spinoff of a fighting game franchise are probably going to be happy with importing anyway. It's one of the reasons I don't think stuff like Taiko V or IA/VT are getting even Western digital releases, as the fan base for that kind of Japan-centric game are more than willing to import. After all, the language isn't a barrier to enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        I don't think the lack of Western release is a problem considering both systems are region free. Most of the people that will want to buy an ecchi mini game spinoff of a fighting game franchise are probably going to be happy with importing anyway. It's one of the reasons I don't think stuff like Taiko V or IA/VT are getting even Western digital releases, as the fan base for that kind of Japan-centric game are more than willing to import. After all, the language isn't a barrier to enjoyment.
                        If it's anything like the previous games, language will be a bit of a barrier. They have dating sim elements.

Comment

I can only imagine how much effort they'll put into the game as well anyway given that going off DOA5 the main aim of Xtreme 3 will be DLC

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            If it's anything like the previous games, language will be a bit of a barrier. They have dating sim elements.
                            Shows how much I know!

The game will probably be pretty basic if it's intended only for release in Japan . . . I'm assuming anyway.

Comment

The weird thing is that the first was actually a very good volleyball game (it felt a lot like Virtua Tennis), and the pool-hopping minigame was brilliant too. The sequel seemed to make everything worse. The volleyball became imprecise (and no longer allowed for co-op play on one console), the pool-hopping became trickier because it was based on the colour of the Xbox pad's buttons (the first game's was based on the analogue face-buttons of the original Xbox; one of the few games to use the feature).
                              Spot on . The 1st game was a really nice relaxing game with a awesome soundtrack to boot . Don't know what happend to the 2nd game but the hole game felt it was made by a different team and didn't feel right

Comment

Working...
                              X