No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to World 7 boss on SMB3 the night before last, been a while since I played past world 4 (as I'm happy to pick and play a few worlds as I love the game) I died my last 7 lives on the stage boss, not that hard, but I was tired and it probably still took me about 5 hours to get there.
    Fully plan to complete this, this week

Comment

Rocket Knight Adventures Yesterday and 4 attempts today...I can pretty much get to the last boss on 1 credit (Although, you never know!) well, I don't anyway as this is my 1st ever time with the game (ON MD) I've got everything down now apart from the *fight* (NO SPOLIERS!)
      7/10 for me, a solid 7....great game, pretty fine looking, the stages are long and varied, but some of it is quite boring to play, especially the water levels...nothing broken and plays nice, but again, some of the game is boring...still a solid 7 though. Will defo look into the sequel once I beat it..

Comment

Just finished getting the last of the endings on the PAL version of Contra Hard Corps or Probotector as it was called over here.

Truly great game just a shame, it was so heavily censored in the PAL region and they removed the sixth bad ending! Still I think it is the best Contra game every made, more fun and a lot less harder than Contra 3 on SNES.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Truly great game just a shame, it was so heavily censored in the PAL region and they removed the sixth bad ending!
          It's really annoying that lots of Japanese games - both on consoles and in the arcades - were censored in the West. On MAME, I always choose the Japanese version of games - and on consoles, I tend to buy the Japanese version of retro games. Final Fight and Streets of Rage 3 are famously censored in the Western versions.

Originally posted by S3M View Post
          Still I think it is the best Contra game every made, more fun and a lot less harder than Contra 3 on SNES.
          Yeah, it's a great game. I wish I had bought it before the price went through the roof.

Contra 3 is quite easy to complete, once you learn it. It is a game that demands total concentration, though.

Comment

It's interesting that we can have very strong nostalgia for the censored versions of games whilst at the same time wanting to play the game as it was originally intended, which can present an annoying dilemma when choosing between them. I'm mainly thinking of the translated scripts of Japanese RPGs, which can differ radically from the original, but we still love them. It's good that we live in a time when we can have both (not just easy access to the Japanese originals, but also highly faithful fan retranslations of most games, like the new FFVII project etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
              It's really annoying that lots of Japanese games - both on consoles and in the arcades - were censored in the West. On MAME, I always choose the Japanese version of games - and on consoles, I tend to buy the Japanese version of retro games. Final Fight and Streets of Rage 3 are famously censored in the Western versions.

Contra 3 is quite easy to complete, once you learn it. It is a game that demands total concentration, though.
              I tend to get both versions as some of the changes can be very interesting to compare. In Contra Hard Corps they made changes between all three releases, Japanese version is by far the easiest version thank to the fact you can take three hits per life.

I finished Contra III on hard a long time ago, but still remember how tricky that was the extra final boss on hard caught be and my brother off guard at the end first time around.

Got my copy complete on the MD for about ?22 but that was around 2006, these days I see it goes for ?80 for the PAL version alone USA release is the cheapest to buy Japanese version is always insane to buy.

Cleared about half the Contra games in the series now, not looking forward to do Shattered Soldier that is rock hard.

To be honest noobish hat that retranslation of FFVII was not that great, most fan don't really understand the translation process and so what you get tend to be a bit of a mess. That said I worked with someone who did the FFVII translation and they said it was just totally rushed to hit the Christmas release date. It needs a new translation but not the one the fans did.

Comment

Yeah that's another challenge, finding a decent translation, since there are usually several. FFVII might not have been the best example. I suspected that that project might have taken an overly literal approach, which is a schoolboy error. The fan translation of Mother 3 is absolutely first rate, though.

Comment

Yep. Mother 3 feels perfect in translation.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                    Rocket Knight Adventures Yesterday and 4 attempts today...I can pretty much get to the last boss on 1 credit (Although, you never know!) well, I don't anyway as this is my 1st ever time with the game (ON MD) I've got everything down now apart from the *fight* (NO SPOLIERS!)
                    7/10 for me, a solid 7....great game, pretty fine looking, the stages are long and varied, but some of it is quite boring to play, especially the water levels...nothing broken and plays nice, but again, some of the game is boring...still a solid 7 though. Will defo look into the sequel once I beat it..
                    I decided to try and make it through Rocket Knight today as well. Reached the stage 6 boss before running out of lives/continues. It really is gorgeous in parts and while challenging at times the difficulty doesn't feel insurmountable. I should have it beat by tomorrow I think.

The level with the rising and lowering water was a bit pants but everything else has been superb for me.

Comment

Played a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll comment on the couple I'd never played before I picked up, the PS1 shmups.

Time Bokan - I don't know why, but I really love cartoony/cute shooters, so jumped right on this when I saw some screens. Lovely looking little game and absolutely bonkers in that good old Japanese way. I'm really enjoying it, there's another one on PS and I have that en route too.

Thunder Force V - God I'm awful at this. I haven't really been able to get any fun out of it as I'm finding it ridiculously hard for some reason, not enjoying it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        Thunder Force V - God I'm awful at this. I haven't really been able to get any fun out of it as I'm finding it ridiculously hard for some reason, not enjoying it at all.
                        I've tried it a couple of times on the Saturn over the years. Never got on with it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          Played a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll comment on the couple I'd never played before I picked up, the PS1 shmups.

Its all about the weapons/shield - aim to get craw/free way asap as it totally destroys the bossess (and pretty much anything for
                          chain x16's). Hunter is good too but not as powerful (a good weapon to use to learn patterns), but not as good for your score. The rest are a bit rubbish. It takes a while to click though. TFVI on the ps2 is rather nice too, but none come close to the mighty TFIV on the MD!

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            I decided to try and make it through Rocket Knight today as well. Reached the stage 6 boss before running out of lives/continues. It really is gorgeous in parts and while challenging at times the difficulty doesn't feel insurmountable. I should have it beat by tomorrow I think.

The level with the rising and lowering water was a bit pants but everything else has been superb for me.
                            That's pretty much how I feel about it...perhaps a 7/10 is a bit low...probably more like an 8/10...I've actually got it in attract at the moment...I'm going to play it now...definitely a game that can be beaten without continuing...I think i'll complete it when I start it in a moment...i'll update with pictures if I do...it is class...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                              That's pretty much how I feel about it...perhaps a 7/10 is a bit low...probably more like an 8/10...I've actually got it in attract at the moment...I'm going to play it now...definitely a game that can be beaten without continuing...I think i'll complete it when I start it in a moment...i'll update with pictures if I do...it is class...
                              Absolutely. If you're feeling adventerous you could try beating it on crazy hard mode (1 life, 0 continues) by pressing Left 4 times, Right 4 times, Left 7 times, Right once, and then Left once at the Konami screen

Comment

I might try that...I was playing it when I said...but my nephew came in and I had to let him play. As it stands...I still haven't completed it.
                                Well one credit clear is defo easy enough..i reckon I'm ready for that and there are plenty of 1ups along the way. A one man clearance would be a good challenge! Quite a few places can trip you up...I might try it...eventually! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X