No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing through Rage Racer on PS1 at the moment. It's decent enough, and the tracks definitely have a more vertical nature than the other titles in the series, but I'm not so keen on the 'grittier' look. All seems a bit grey and dull looking at times. Ridge Racer Type 4 still has the edge for me.

Comment

Currently PCE cursing like crazy with Rayxanber II and Tatsujin and that's Stage 1 ha ha

Comment

Jackie Chan on PC Engine. This is such a nice game. Responsive control, pretty graphics and fantastic music!

Comment

Sounds good might add it to the PCE try list

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
            but I'm not so keen on the 'grittier' look. All seems a bit grey and dull looking at times.
            Yeah, it's a very dull and gritty looking game. That put me off it quite a bit, despite thinking it plays well.

Comment

Took my nieces to Arcade Club in Bury, didn't get to play too much myself but it was a fun experience and definitely a place I'll be visiting again (probably after work next week haha!). We only went to the family floor but it was heaving, the entire place has a great vibe.

Comment

I'd be straight on Rave Racer. Looks like a really nice arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I'd be straight on Rave Racer. Looks like a really nice arcade.
                  I never got much experience with Ridge/Rave Racer in the arcades, they always had Sega racing games whenever I visited (or maybe they just stood out better?). Definitely looking forward to mastering each track
                  Last edited by Cepp; 12-08-2018, 07:49. Reason: typos - every time

Comment

I've loved arcades my entire life (one of my earliest memories is sitting on my dad's lap playing Pole Position!), so this place is like a dream come true! It always makes me smile walking into the retro arcade and seeing lines and lines of cabs on either side. It's only about 20 mins from where I live, so I go pretty regularly. The other floor has lots of modern Japanese arcade games like Initial D, Darius Burst and a tonne of rhythm games, plus a pinball room. Apparently there's a third floor coming soon as well. Adults only on a Thursday/Friday evening and open 'til midnight.

Comment

Got a PSP 3000 a few months back, feels plasticky compared to my 1000 but the screen is like 300% brighter and less ghosty. Picked up my ancient 92 hour FFT:War Of The Lions save and continued grinding my characters up to Lvl 99 before I hit the end game.

Comment

Arcade Club does look excellent! I was playing Jubeat Qubell last night in Las Vegas in London and got matched with someone at Arcade Club on network play, wasn’t anyone on here was it?

Las Vegas is tiny compared to Arcade Club and £1 per credit, no free play shenanigans unfortunately. Really like the number of music games though, and there’s a good vibe. Some very serious Pump It Up players and some pretty serious looking SF V and Tekken 7 players too.

Really enjoy playing Future Tom Tom, a more casual Bemani entry. Seems they’re not updating it now or making any more, which is a shame as it’s really a lot of fun in 2P....

Apart from the drumming, it uses a camera to show you on screen during play, and as part of the note chart there are prompts to move your arms in various ways or adopt specific poses. There is a fun bonus round halfway through each song too. A really good laugh and less hardcore than most of the other Bemani offerings. More of a ‘date’ game.

Also played some Pop’n Music, the latest version I think, Eclale or something. Fun in battle mode although it does a feel a little bit dated and old school these days. I’d certainly like to play more though.

Next time I’m there, I must get some eAmusement passes. I really want to try Sound Voltex, too, but I was barred from it last night as it’s only single player on the single cab they have. Also need to ask them about cards for Initial D 8. I’d love to get back into playing that one online - I had a blast doing so then odd years ago on ID4 in Japan, and continued to play when I returned to the UK. None of the machines I could find in the UK supported network play though, they seemed to be translated Western versions that had had online stripped out, so I just redid the story mode.

Fortunately Las Vegas’ cab is a proper Japanese import, and I observed a guy playing online on it last night. Great excuse to get a card and get back into it.

As you can see I’m rather enthused about the place
                        Last edited by wakka; 12-08-2018, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                          I've loved arcades my entire life (one of my earliest memories is sitting on my dad's lap playing Pole Position!), so this place is like a dream come true! It always makes me smile walking into the retro arcade and seeing lines and lines of cabs on either side. It's only about 20 mins from where I live, so I go pretty regularly. The other floor has lots of modern Japanese arcade games like Initial D, Darius Burst and a tonne of rhythm games, plus a pinball room. Apparently there's a third floor coming soon as well. Adults only on a Thursday/Friday evening and open 'til midnight.
                          Yeah it's great, we should get some kind of meet up going tbh, I'm sure there's a few of us on here from the area.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Next time I’m there, I must get some eAmusement passes. I really want to try Sound Voltex, too, but I was barred from it last night as it’s only single player on the single cab they have. Also need to ask them about cards for Initial D 8. I’d love to get back into playing that one online - I had a blast doing so then odd years ago on ID4 in Japan, and continued to play when I returned to the UK. None of the machines I could find in the UK supported network play though, they seemed to be translated Western versions that had had online stripped out, so I just redid the story mode.

Fortunately Las Vegas’ cab is a proper Japanese import, and I observed a guy playing online on it last night. Great excuse to get a card and get back into it.

As you can see I’m rather enthused about the place
                          I was wondering if the Initial D cab at Arcade Club is network connected. I have one of SEGA's AIME cards from my trip to Japan so I should be able to save my data if so. All of the rhythm games bar DDR Euromix were on the adult floor; I'm looking forward to trying those next week
                          Last edited by Cepp; 12-08-2018, 16:06.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                            Got a PSP 3000 a few months back, feels plasticky compared to my 1000 but the screen is like 300% brighter and less ghosty. Picked up my ancient 92 hour FFT:War Of The Lions save and continued grinding my characters up to Lvl 99 before I hit the end game.
                            I'm liking my 3000 as well, I feel like the complaints regarding the screen and 2D images were overblown. Very happy with it overall.

Comment

[MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION], yeah, totally agree - all that guff about it being interlaced and terrible was waaaaaaay overstated. I think the console build quality feels cheap when you compare the glossy black 3000 to my white 1000, with it's lovely matt-textured backplate and aluminium middle piece, but the screen and reduced weight makes up for that loss in "premium feels".

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                                I never got much experience with Ridge/Rave Racer in the arcades,
                                I used to love playing against someone else. I wish Namco would deliver a Ridge Racer compilation including Rave Racer.

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                                Got a PSP 3000 a few months back, feels plasticky compared to my 1000 but the screen is like 300% brighter and less ghosty.
                                The colours are also far more vivid, which looks especially nice in cute games like Parodius. I've seen a bit of 'interlacing' now and then, but it doesn't show up often. Overall the 3000 is my favourite PSP. I have a PSP GO!, but it feels really cheap, despite it being quite a cool design.

Comment

Working...
                                X