(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    Yeah it's great, we should get some kind of meet up going tbh, I'm sure there's a few of us on here from the area.

I was wondering if the Initial D cab at Arcade Club is network connected. I have one of SEGA's AIME cards from my trip to Japan so I should be able to save my data if so. All of the rhythm games bar DDR Euromix were on the adult floor; I'm looking forward to trying those next week

Yeah I'd probably be interested in a meet up.

I think I'm right in saying there are two Initial D games (both 2 player versions). My knowledge on them is limited, one looks older, the other more recent. I suspect they are connected as most of the other machines there are. One of my friends has been playing a lot of Museca and Jubeat and he has a card. I'm not really *that* knowledgable on how it works though (which may be apparent!), I've only really played most of the games on floor 2 quite casually.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Really enjoy playing Future Tom Tom, a more casual Bemani entry. Seems they’re not updating it now or making any more, which is a shame as it’s really a lot of fun in 2P....
    Yeah this is great fun, the camera is a really good addition. The only problem with it in Arcade Club is it's so noisy you can't hear a thing, so you're just tapping in time to the screen, rather than any music.

Comment

[MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION] that’s also a problem in Las Vegas. You can only hear it quite faintly, the speakers are much worse than the powerful ones used on Jubeat, which you can hear fairly clearly even above the arcade din.

Thoughtfully, they have wired a heath Robinson headphone input for many of the rhythm cabs in LV. I noticed both Jubeat and Sound Voltex have them. Nice option if you’re playing solo. Unfortunately I don’t think Future Tom Tom has one though.

Comment

FINALLY!!!!!

God I've missed this game. The Raspberry Pi is now my new best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          FINALLY!!!!!

I'm glad you can finally enjoy your Raspberry Pi. Such a cool little computer.

Comment

Been playing Radiant Silvergun over the past few days, for the first time. Really enjoying it. It's an interesting shooter that I feel works harder to keep things feeling fresh throughout than a lot of other ones I've tried. Having 7 weapons available from the off is a great idea, there's that puzzle element of working out the best one for every situation which is really enjoyable.

I'm also grateful for the fact there's a Very Easy mode and an option for each credit to have 10 lives. I'm currently working my way through Saturn mode, getting a little bit further each time, and it actually feels manageable rather than rock hard.

Graphics are terrific too. The designs of some of the bosses and unleashing your sword charge on them is incredibly satisfying!

Comment

B

Graphics are terrific too. The designs of some of the bosses and unleashing your sword charge on them is incredibly satisfying!

It's one of few games that I'd pay £100 for. It's great in all departments, so as a whole, it's absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Yeah, it's a blinder. I've been playing Panzer Dragoon Zwei in parallel. Much better than the first game, just a much more interesting and varied experiences. The first PD feels like a launch game, what with the dodgy frame rate and bullet sponge enemies.

I'm a shooter novice, but I have to say I probably find it easier to use the Saturn pad than my stick. Is it better in the long run to learn stick, or should I stick with my pad?

Another question. Currently in terms of Saturn shmups I've got Layer Section, Sexy Parodius and Radiant Silvergun. All great games, but Radiant Silvergun feels like a real cut above for me. Where do I go from here on my Saturn shmups exploration - Battle Garegga maybe?
                Last edited by wakka; 14-08-2018, 09:32.

Comment

I've been playing Panzer Dragoon Zwei in parallel. Much better than the first game,
                  Yeah, it was a stunning game back in the day. Technically it's much more solid than the first game. I think I'll have a go on it next time I set up my Saturn.

Where do I go from here on my Saturn shmups exploration - Battle Garegga maybe?
                  I would recommend 'Soukyugurentai'. Some people prefer 'hand-drawn' shoot 'em ups, but I've always liked the graphics in Souky and the overall design is impressive. It's a game that never fails to excite me and remind me why I love gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    Yeah, it was a stunning game back in the day. Technically it's much more solid than the first game. I think I'll have a go on it next time I set up my Saturn.
                    The first one is on the JP PS3 PSN. Should be fairly import friendly, no?

Comment

We're talking about PD2 Zwei though [MENTION=15230]Nico87[/MENTION].

Ah Souky, thanks [MENTION=2924]Leon Retro[/MENTION]. Of course I've heard a lot about that one over the years. I'll give it a crack, I don't think I've ever even watched a video of it. I play my Saturn games off CD-R so fortunately cash isn't an obstacle.

Comment

We're talking about PD2 Zwei though @Nico87.
                        I know? He’s obviously played the first one so would be qualified to indicate whether it’s import friendly or not

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                          The first one is on the JP PS3 PSN. Should be fairly import friendly, no?
                          Yeah, you don't have to be able to read Japanese.

I play my Saturn games off CD-R so fortunately cash isn't an obstacle.
                          I have quite a few Japanese Saturn games, but also use CD-R. I use a Pseudo cartridge with a spare JP Saturn.

Another shooter you might like is 'Guardian Force', which offers something different when it comes to how it plays. The graphics and music are also nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            FINALLY!!!!!

What game is this?

Comment

It's harmful park, PS1 shmup.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                                I know? He’s obviously played the first one so would be qualified to indicate whether it’s import friendly or not
                                No need to be condescending matey, I merely misunderstood your question.

Cheers @Leon Retro, I'll give that a bash. The Saturn has such a wealth of them that it's hard to know where to begin!

Hardware-wise I'm fortunate enough to have a machine modded with a Phantom Universal chip and a multiregion BIOS by our own Speedylols
                                Last edited by wakka; 14-08-2018, 17:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X