(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Cheers @Leon Retro, I'll give that a bash. The Saturn has such a wealth of them that it's hard to know where to begin!
    Yeah, the Saturn has a great library of shooters to explore. Most of them are either good, really good, or great. Let me know if you like Souky, because I know the graphic style doesn't appeal to everyone. Guardian Force has more standard style graphics, but they're definitely attractive.

Hardware-wise I'm fortunate enough to have a machine modded with a Phantom Universal chip and a multiregion BIOS by our own Speedylols
    I have another JP Saturn that has all the mods, so it will play anything how I want it to. But that cost me quite a lot of money compared to the cheapish spare JP machine using a simple Pseudo cart, so I want to keep it in reserve. Pseudo works wonders with everything I've thrown at it, so it's a nice option to have.

Comment

No need to be condescending matey, I merely misunderstood your question.
      Sorry, I didn’t mean to be!

Comment

Well, where to start for the last couple of days! (All via retropie)

PS1: Harmful Park, obviously. Brilliant to replay it again.

MS: Master of darkness, cracking we game that doesn't get enough credit.

Atari VCS: Pitfall with my wife, frustratingly she pipped me on the high score.

ARCADE: The Punisher, for me one of the best scrolling beat 'em ups there is. R-Type Leo, Jackal & Demon's Front. Jackal is an all time fave coin muncher from my youth, Demon's Front is average at best, though looks lovely.

PCE: Soldier blade and Star Parodier run throughs to see how good the Pi's emulation was. Took a bash at beating Legend of hero Tonma again. Failed for the millionth time.

SNES: Mario Kart.

NEO: Metal Slug and Garou playthroughs. Again, wanted to see how good the emulation was.

MD: Bare Knuckle III.

Needless to say, I've not done as much working from home as I really should've done!

Comment

How is the neo emulation?

Comment

I've had no issue with it so far mate, it's excellent.

Comment

Thanks to the snes mini handling megadrive & pc engine games i have been adding & going through a small selection on my spare uk mini. Finished the ever wonderful galaga '88, pc genjin & pc genjin 2. Nearly completed PC denjin but that last boss rush made me lose all my lives. On megadrive im halfway through magical flying hat and loving every moment of it, also playing wonderboy v monster world III but not got too far in that one as i was concentrating on monster world iv which i'm nearly near the end as i just have the final temple to do and it looks like that's it for that game.

Tempted to add ghostbusters back in as i used to love that on megadrive, also been a while since i played castle of illusion i wonder if that still holds up today?
              Last edited by importaku; 14-08-2018, 19:40.

Comment

Castle of illusion is on my replay list too, great memories of it from back in the day. Was such a beautiful game for its time.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

PS1: Harmful Park, obviously. Brilliant to replay it again.
                  You inspired me to play it again, so I went through it earlier today. Such an uplifting game.

R-Type Leo
                  I also played through this the other day - love the graphics in Stage 3. I've always found it funny that the voice that says "Let's go!" between stages sounds like a northern English bloke. Very much like Bernard Manning.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  How is the neo emulation?
                  I had been playing World Heroes 2 on my AES a lot over the past year or so, so I used the game to test Neo Geo emulation on the Pi. I'd say it's perfect - and looks really nice with the image(scanlines & sharpness) set up properly.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-08-2018, 19:47.

Comment

Never played Harmful Park before but just bought it together with Lup Salad on PSN

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      Thanks to the snes mini handling megadrive & pc engine games i have been adding & going through a small selection

Tempted to add ghostbusters back in as i used to love that on megadrive, also been a while since i played castle of illusion i wonder if that still holds up today?
                      I still really like Castle of Illusion. QuackShot also still looks good. Both classic games in my book.

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                      Never played Harmful Park before but just bought it together with Lup Salad on PSN
                      If you like Parodius, you should really enjoy Harmful Park. Easily one of the best cute 'em ups.

Comment

So I’ve heard!

Colin: Soldier Blade is my favorite shmup ever. Boss music is too good

Last edited by Nico87; 14-08-2018, 20:11.

Comment

Excellent choice, it's one of my all time favourite games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I still really like Castle of Illusion. QuackShot also still looks good. Both classic games in my book.
                            Ah man totally forgot about quackshot, thats defintely getting added. Hehe the uk snes mini has been totally defiled all its built in games have been hidden and it's been filled up with japanese gb/gbc/pc engine/megadrive games. The famicom & super famicom minis are still only filled with their respective games. Now that the usa snes mini has come back down to retail im planning on getting that one to fill with the western only snes stuff. May do the same for nes too.

Castle of illusion is on my replay list too, great memories of it from back in the day. Was such a beautiful game for its time.
                            can still hear the forest music in my head from the first stage without even playing, it did indeed have lovely graphics, wish the megadrive got as many decent platformers that the snes did but there are a few at least. Magical flying hat is my absolute fave though, evemn after all this time i still enjoy playing.
                            Last edited by importaku; 14-08-2018, 20:40.

Comment

Hehe the uk snes mini has been totally defiled

Magical flying hat is my absolute fave though, evemn after all this time i still enjoy playing.
                              I've still got my original copy that I bought in 1991. I think it only cost me £20, but what a special game it is. Once you get used to how it plays, it offers a whole lot of fun. The graphics look really nice and clear, and the music is memorable. A Japanese MD gem, seeing it got a complete - some would say ugly - makeover for the West.

Comment

How? How is this teeny tiny wee computer running this so well??? This is giving me real flashbacks, I haven't played this game, looking this good, since buying an import PS1 on release! Can the Pi run anything for the OG Playstation?

Add this to my ever increasing ‘what have you been playing?’ List for this week. Man do I need to rebuild my skill level though!

Last edited by Colin; 14-08-2018, 22:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X