(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    Sin and Punishment 2 Wii. Left my Wii at Lucy's house so the kids can use it there if they want. So grabbed a 2nd hand one and modded it and checked region freeness(Tm) with S&P disc. What a game. So much fun.
    I must have spent about 50 hours on the very first intro level trying to get it done absolutely perfectly. I should probably go back and do some more.

I've been back in the Wii myself. Res Evil 4 though. Playing casually nets a chapter in around an hour, so it's great for doing one each day. Still not died yet and almost left the village, so I don't think the difficulty feels dynamic at all, [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION].

Comment

Had a quick go at Delphine Software International's 1991 apparently groundbreaking 2D action/adventure Another World aka: Out Of This World original version ported to the Xbox.

Not enjoying it much TBH. A typical game of its time I suppose: no clues how to play it just leave the gamer to learn each section by trial and error and then repeat by rote after multiple failures.

I have complained about Tomb Raider 3's almost steep learning curve being one of the things that make that the Marmite game of the old Core TRs (personally I still love it). But Another World was making that look like a cake walk seven years earlier by killing the main character literally seconds after you get control.

I was hoping for something more like Delphine's virtually forgotten early PS game Fade To Black, the sequel to Flashback, which came out around the same time as the original Tomb Raider. Their gameplay was sometimes mentioned in comparison mainly because they were both action/adventures and rendered in "fully textured 3D". There is really no similarities, they're very different games at their core.

I mostly enjoyed Fade To Black; although cruder than TR in every sense it did create a recognisable template for off planet action/adventures, trialed by Another World, which has been used countless times since. Another World though I'm just finding tiresomely repetitive and I'm barely into it.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 31-10-2018, 23:34.

Comment

Looks like arcade club is openming a second site and it's in kirkstall in leeds, they are planning on getting the bigger hydraulic cabs in that they couldnt in the Bury one. On man it's gonna be sick.

Comment

Power Golf 2 with core grafx, super cd rom rom and duo card. I’ll have to get the mouse I think, such a relaxing game, love the ambient soundtrack.

Comment

Well this week seems to be consisting of centipede & yet more centipede, finally after all these years i have learnt the rules of how this game works.

Comment

Wow, I just 1CC’ed Dragon Egg on my 2nd attempt.
              I sat and played it for the first time earlier, it’s another PCE game with infinite credits so I decided to grind it out using like 50 continues over approx. 2 hours to get to the end.

For people that don’t know, Dragon Egg is a platformer where you collect upgrades to upgrade your Dragon Egg from an Egg to a full on Dragon. The default weapon (the egg itself) has zero range, it’s literally the length of the characters arm. Using the 50 continues I was mainly in this mode and it was super, super tough.

I thought I would play again to see how far I could get in a credit now knowing the layout of the levels. However now that I knew the levels I was able to upgrade, and more importantly keep, the dragon to its final form. This just made the game sooooo much easier it’s crazy, literally blitzed the whole thing.

The last boss which is insanely tough in the default form (like 20 hits with a zero range weapon) died with the full dragon form in like 5 hits from full screen. It was dead before it even really started!

Seems to be quite a common practice with PCE games, unlimited continues. I’m not sure why companies did it TBH. I know it’s my choice to continue but I sure kids would be even more likely to keep continuing if they have the chance.

Still, I enjoyed the game overall. It initially comes across as brutally tough, you have no invincible fames when you’re hit so things can go south FAST if you get yourself into a sticky situation. Reminded me a lot of Legend of Hero Tonma actually, I think it’s the level design/layout.

Comment

Parodius Da!: it’s great, because it’s Parodius. Love the Super Famicom version’s chiptunes, so epically joyful.

Sensible Soccer: gave this a go (the Super NES version) after watching Kim Justice’s documentary about Sensible Software. Haven’t really played Sensi since 1993. It’s... not good, is it? Either I don’t ‘get’ it, or it’s aged awfully or, I dunno. Feels like an Atari VCS football game with more detail and colours.

Krusty’s Super Fun House: a bit meh, this. Perfectly competent for what it is, but on 2018 it badly shows up how it’s a rebadged Amiga game. Enjoyed some ‘90s Simpson’s nostalgia along the way, but not much more.

That was my games playing this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                  Love the Super Famicom version’s chiptunes, so epically joyful.
                  Yeah, brilliant music. The tunes in the second SFC game[Gokujou Parodius] are my favourite.

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                  It’s... not good, is it? Either I don’t ‘get’ it, or it’s aged awfully
                  The Amiga version[SWOS] with a joystick plays the best imo. It's a really fun game once you get into it -- especially playing against other people.

I seem to remember that people say the SNES version isn't very good next to decent ports on the MD and Jaguar.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                    Wow, I just 1CC’ed Dragon Egg on my 2nd attempt.
                    I sat and played it for the first time earlier, it’s another PCE game with infinite credits so I decided to grind it out using like 50 continues over approx. 2 hours to get to the end.
                    You 1CC'ed it with 50 continues? (I'm sure I've read this incorrectly!)

Comment

Me and the wife have been playing some Virtua Tennis 2 on the DC. It still holds up really well and there haven't been many tennis games since really. Such a fun game.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        You 1CC'ed it with 50 continues? (I'm sure I've read this incorrectly!)
                        I went through to the end of the game using 50 continues. I then started it again and went through it in 1 credit.

Comment

I played 'New York Warriors' for the Amiga. The designer was obviously inspired by films such as The Warriors and Escape From New York, so fans of those classics might enjoy some of the details in this game. It's all a bit amateurish, but there's something fun about the blasting action. Definitely a curio for Amiga fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                            I went through to the end of the game using 50 continues. I then started it again and went through it in 1 credit.
                            That's some improvement.

Alright, just read the post. Makes sense now.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 03-11-2018, 22:25.

Comment

The game has a MASSIVE dependency on you powering up your Dragon.
                              TBH I don’t think the game wants you to tackle some things without the Dragon, however giving you unlimited continues allows you to keep grinding, which I don’t think is right.

Comment

Playing through Halo 1 on PC, the level design is a lot more repetitive than I remember. Some corridors and rooms are literally copy and pasted. It's also quite glitchy and Master Chief moves so slow, I opened CheatEngine at one point just to double the speed.

Not quite the game I remember sadly but it has its moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X