No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES Sensi is absolutely a fine game, not Amiga good but still good.

Been playing Brave Fencer Musashi, so much better than I expected it to be! Owned it 19 years.....

Comment

I don’t understand people who don’t understand why Sensi is so amazing.

Comment

Moved on to DOOM 64 EX, about 60% through it and having a blast. It's a lot easier to play than on the N64 since you're using a mouse/keyboard and can actually see where you're going.

The redesigned enemies are really, really good; I love 'em. Ditto for the music and general atmosphere as well.

Comment

Been playing Alien 3 on the SNES. In terms of being faithful to a movie it is probably the worst movie-to-game tie in ever made. The main premise of the movie was that it was one alien and no weapons, this game has the assault rifle and flamethrower from aliens and hundreds of facehuggers, chestbursters and aliens lol Even the game over screen has a voice clip of Hudson from the second movie.

Game itself is pretty good though, if a bit repetitive. Finished all of the missions in Stage 1 last night and now on to stage 2. The password based save system is pretty strange to use, I guess the publishers didnt want to spend the money to have a battery in the cart.

Playing makes me think how cool it would be to have a metroidvania type game based on Aliens. Aliens Infestation came close but wasnt based on any of the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
            Playing makes me think how cool it would be to have a metroidvania type game based on Aliens.
            Yeah, an Aliens game in the style of metroidvania could be something special. I think you could create a really tense atmosphere with that sort of design.

Comment

C64 psu arrived. Loading leviathan, from original tape. Not expecting it to actually work. Tape is 31 years old...

Comment

Had a short session on cyber bots, violent storm, final fight and dodonpachi. Can’t beat the arcade stuff.

Comment

Never played violent storm. Thinking about setting up an emulation pc...

Leviathan didn’t work. Little computer people did but it’s highlighted a faulty Sid chip in this c64. Sourcing a clone replacement because the originals are all dying now so no point paying for another old one I reckon.

Comment

Are you planning on some kind of sd card based tape replacement?

Comment

Gonna have to I think. 30 year old tapes and floppies just aren’t resilient enough

Trying to decide between the pi1541 floppy emulator and the tapeduino datasette emulator.

Comment

A mate of mine uses a cartridge thing in the back with extra stuff on it. For my Speccies, QL and BBC I use SD card solutions, with the odd floppy.

Comment

Been umming and arring about having another crack at connecting a PC to a CRT for MAME/FBA or getting an RGB Pi etc , in the end bought home a 20" 1600x1200 rotatable LCD to use as a 2nd screen and for 4:3 content and it's sorted me right out. Add a decent MAME filter and i'm in clover, got a USB Saturn pad, screen rotates for vertical action i'm well please at £0 expense.

Now I just need a decent stick

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                            in the end bought home a 20" 1600x1200 rotatable LCD to use as a 2nd screen and for 4:3 content and it's sorted me right out. Add a decent MAME filter and i'm in clover, got a USB Saturn pad, screen rotates for vertical action i'm well please at £0 expense.
                            I bought a cheap Dell 1600x1200 rotatable monitor with a soundbar(actually give impressive sound quality) attached -- and retro games look nice with scanlines enabled. I like the fact that it's 4:3. I also bought a black stand to replace the silver, as silver distracts me.

I think quite a few people buy these old Dell monitors for MAME.

Comment

It's a sound idea, a 20" 4:3 screen looks bloody massive when rotated its quite impressive, very pleased. Yes im sure response time and motion arent amazing but all good still for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                It's a sound idea, a 20" 4:3 screen looks bloody massive when rotated its quite impressive,
                                Yeah, it looks strangely "massive" even though it's only 20". I think it's a bit too big because I want to sit close to it. but maybe I'll try to sit further away from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X