(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
    Finished my replay of original Xbox Yager. Still a good play if you're looking for a futuristic flight combat game that is a bit different from the norm. Essentially helicopter like controls rather than conventional aircraft ones and they work pretty well.
    I've been meaning to go back to it for a while, so I will try to give it a go sometime soon. Another OG Xbox game I want to go back to is 'Gun Metal', which is similar in some ways to Yager.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I've been meaning to go back to it for a while, so I will try to give it a go sometime soon. Another OG Xbox game I want to go back to is 'Gun Metal', which is similar in some ways to Yager.
      Always liked both Yager and Gun metal - I don’t think they have aged too well visually but both played well.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Always liked both Yager and Gun metal - I don’t think they have aged too well visually but both played well.
        I have a feeling that 'Gun Metal' might still look pretty good. There's another game with a similar vibe to Yager called 'Battle Engine Aquila' that I remember having a demo of back in the day.

I was playing the modern version of 'Defender' on the OG Xbox a few months back -- its visuals actually impressed me, and it was quite fun to play. Definitely a bit of a gem for the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I have a feeling that 'Gun Metal' might still look pretty good. There's another game with a similar vibe to Yager called 'Battle Engine Aquila' that I remember having a demo of back in the day.

I was playing the modern version of 'Defender' on the OG Xbox a few months back -- its visuals actually impressed me, and it was quite fun to play. Definitely a bit of a gem for the machine.
          Yes I played that one too - 3 good games

Comment

Not played Gun Metal so might give that a go sometime. I think the closest game I have played on the Xbox which is like Yager is Battle Engine Aquila, a decent game too. It mixes ground based mech type play with short hop flight combat so not quite the same thing but the feel is similar.

Yager's once lauded but now dated graphics still hold up reasonably well, particularly the sea and river areas where the water effects were very good for their time. The general landscapes are reasonable but don't have that much textural detail. However ground troops, who, thankfully, are minimal in number are crudely animated. The worst thing is actually the cut scenes.

The dialogue can often be annoying too - pantomime enemy bad-guys and being berated by officers for not doing your job quickly enough despite the fact you've single handedly destroyed 95% of the enemy. There are also very obvious event trigger points and artificial time limits, particularly irksome in the thinly disguised series of nannying missions you often have to do.

But these are minor criticisms really, the core game does what it is supposed to do well.

Comment

I got a little nostalgic for The Legend of Mir. Anyone remember that? Used to be featured prominently on Game Network when that was still a thing.

There's quite a few private servers for it these days so I grabbed one that looked populated and all I can say is, some things are best left in the past lol. It's all there, just as I remember it but it's shockingly basic with the absolute bare minimum of animation.

It was fun to run around in for ten minutes killing chickens and the like but I quickly had my fill.

Comment

Mushi Futari Black Label. I haven't played any Cave goodness in a while but my new 360 TATE set-up is an absolute dream (it's perfect standing height too ) ... and wow, Futari is one of the absolute best. Mind blown. In love all over again

Comment

Mushihime Futari Black Label is the only Cave shooter I’ve managed to 1cc.
                  I felt like I REALLY earnt those 20 achievement points I got for doing it.

Comment

Kudos [MENTION=152]Goemon[/MENTION]

Comment

Over Christmas I've been playing and just loving Rise of the Dragon and Batman Returns on the Mega CD with a bit of Snes R-Type (love the music so much)

Comment

Finished the original Xbox 'homebrew' port of Hydra Castle Labyrinth. Enjoyable little game of its type: old school 2D/dungeon basher which stretches you a bit with some of the boss fights. But but like all well designed fights once you recognise and learn the attack pattern its pitched at just about the right level of difficulty to stop it becoming annoying and so leave you satisfied at the end.

Comment

Does Tanglewood count as being retro seeing as it has just been released? Anyroad, it’s feckin’ brilliant.

Comment

R-Type on PCE.

The stage 4 boss is killing me. It's such a bastard when you die and lose all of your power-ups. The recovery on stage 4 is especially taxing.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              Does Tanglewood count as being retro seeing as it has just been released? Anyroad, it’s feckin’ brilliant.
                              Yeh it does and you are spot on its brilliant. I enjoyed playing through it!

Comment

Kid Chameleon is a game I constantly revisit. With Lizardcube reviving some old Sega IP's, I hope they do one with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X