No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been playing some Tetris Plus myself after seeing Yakumo's Retro Core and DF Retro videos on youtube. Overall I'm liking it. Controls can be a tad slow at times and no hard drop is frustrating as you're essentially against the clock in the puzzle mode. Also playing some Jumping Flash! Up to World 5. It's pretty fun, nothing too taxing.

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
      Kid Chameleon is a game I constantly revisit.
      A game I remember really enjoying when it came out, but the lack of 'battery backup' or passwords meant that I've never completed it. I think I still have my original copy somewhere.

Comment

Slowly getting better at the level 4 boss on R-Type. It's the first time I've felt more comfortable with the pod deployed rather than attached. The lasers can't be aimed too well due to the transforming nature of the boss, so better just to let multishot randomly do the work while concentrating on evasion.

The graphical limitations of the PCE also make this boss harder than it should be. There is a constant dead-zone around one inch thick right through the middle of the screen where all sprites enter a state of perpetual flicker, meaning projectiles become invisible. Even just quickly slipping through this section can be a gamble. It's pretty frustrating.

I'm getting better at recovery after death, but it's still tricky with all of the wall builders darting around and blocking off the power-up bi-pods. I'm learning the positioning slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Slowly getting better at the level 4 boss on R-Type. It's the first time I've felt more comfortable with the pod deployed rather than attached. The lasers can't be aimed too well due to the transforming nature of the boss, so better just to let multishot randomly do the work while concentrating on evasion.

The graphical limitations of the PCE also make this boss harder than it should be. There is a constant dead-zone around one inch thick right through the middle of the screen where all sprites enter a state of perpetual flicker, meaning projectiles become invisible. Even just quickly slipping through this section can be a gamble. It's pretty frustrating.

I'm getting better at recovery after death, but it's still tricky with all of the wall builders darting around and blocking off the power-up bi-pods. I'm learning the positioning slowly.
          I'm more familiar with the arcade version, but assuming it works the same, after death I tend to grab the first force power up, attach it to the back, then head to the bottom right and get into the wall of green blocks quickly as possible, where the builders don't go. You should then be able to get another two force power ups before the boss. I find the bouncing lasers best for the boss fight since the weak points are at an angle.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            I'm more familiar with the arcade version, but assuming it works the same, after death I tend to grab the first force power up, attach it to the back, then head to the bottom right and get into the wall of green blocks quickly as possible, where the builders don't go. You should then be able to get another two force power ups before the boss. I find the bouncing lasers best for the boss fight since the weak points are at an angle.
            Thanks. I had noticed that the bottom-right area was the safest zone to stick to for the most part.

I'm not moving on from this until I've 1-life'd it. An hour on it at the end of the day just flies by.

Comment

I’d recommend not using the laser on stage 4, you want to use the red dna weapon for the boss and stage. The boss is a pushover if you just point-blank him from behind (ooo err) with a fully beefed up pod. The key to stage 4 is knowing the formations of the green-dot fellas and not leaving it to chance and just winging it, sure you may fluke it now and again and then mess it up on the next, try and find a consistent strategy with less random improvising. I made a map to help me get a visual picture of what’s going on, it helped me hugely.

Heres a 2-ALL 1-life replay I did last year if you want some tips.

Last edited by ExMosquito; 07-01-2019, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                I made a map to help me get a visual picture of what’s going on, it helped me hugely.

I've not done that since F-Zero GX story mode, or maybe stage 4 on Gradius V (funnily enough). I was actually thinking about doing it again for this.

Cheers for the vid link, but that's basically spoilers as far as I'm concerned. I'll watch up to stage 4 later.

Comment

I friggin love needing to draw stuff!
                  That’s when you know you’re playing old school.

People complain that old school is hard but all it takes is learning and understanding. I’d sooner spend a few hours learning a level than mindlessly wandering around collecting 100 items

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    A game I remember really enjoying when it came out, but the lack of 'battery backup' or passwords meant that I've never completed it. I think I still have my original copy somewhere.
                    It's not really a long game. I complete it often through one sitting. Can usually take between 2-3 hours total but thats depending on deaths at certain points. It's also on the Mega Drive collection too which has save states and rewind functions. Still plays really well today.

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
                      It's not really a long game. I complete it often through one sitting. Can usually take between 2-3 hours total but thats depending on deaths at certain points. It's also on the Mega Drive collection too which has save states and rewind functions. Still plays really well today.
                      As much as I've always liked it, I never made it through the 100+ levels. I think my patience usually starts to dwindle after an hour or so.

I might pick up the Mega Drive collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                        I friggin love needing to draw stuff!
                        That’s when you know you’re playing old school.
                        I played The Legend of Zelda for the first time ever earlier last year. I had my nieces compose a map out of sheets of A4 in order to progress efficiently. It was mega fun! To think that we stopped playing Breath of the Wild to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          As much as I've always liked it, I never made it through the 100+ levels. I think my patience usually starts to dwindle after an hour or so.

I might pick up the Mega Drive collection.
                          Once you get used/reused to it, it doesn't really seem that long :P It boasts 100+ levels, but a majority of that number are really short thoroughfares as it were.

Comment

@DataDave: Heh yeah it really helps on some games doesn’t it

@Goemon: yeah same, that’s why I tend to stick to old games. I enjoy trying to work out hard arcade games, you just have to dig deep and work out a solution and think a little and it just so happens a map works good, especially or my 40 year old brain well.. 39 when I made the vid.

Comment

I attempted to play KOTOR but my god is it a nightmare to run today. The Steam version crashes if you have frame buffer effects turned on. Soft shadows aren't selctable for some reason either. Even then some of the character models aren't rendered correctly. I tried running it on my old PC with a 6800GT but it ran like a dog there. No clue why, I remember it running well with an FX 5200.

In between all the downloading and installing I played some rounds of NES Open on the Switch. I've always loved NES golf games, they're very relaxing and this one's no exception.
                              Last edited by Cepp; 13-01-2019, 12:30. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                                I attempted to play KOTOR but my god is it a nightmare to run today.
                                Original Xbox + game = 50 quid.

or Original Xbox + softmod + yarr! = 25-30 quid plus say two hours to setup the softmod and download the ISO.

Comment

Working...
                                X