No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is kickstarter. Also there is a huge difference between a promise and an intention at the time, as any WiiU-owning kickstarter backer knows well. No kickstarter should be considered a promise and we’ve all been around long enough to be fully aware of that.

That aside, I still find these Epic store tantrums hilarious. Unlike WiiU owners, anyone who could have played it on Steam can still play it with no extra expense at all. People watch the big three shows and ask: where are the exclusives?! Epic says ‘here they are’ and gamers explode.

Comment

When you donate for a certain tier and then you don’t get what’s offered is a scam in my books, pretty sure they have breached kickstarters tos. Hope they like chargebacks as they are about to lose loads of funding.

Sick of seeing devs begging for money, Gamers will never learn devs are not your friends, they see you as a gullible wallet.

Comment

People in the comments are pointing out that Steam wasn't mentioned in the KS itself(options are simply PC and PS4), just in the survey.

KS itself is tricky. I backed a documentary which was eventually delivered, but the guy had already released a shorter version. Otherwise it's been a few quid each time. I backed Shenmue III for $5 knowing I'd get nothing in return beyond helping make it possible. A lot of people go nuts on it but it reminds me of Uber and those other gig economy things - a lawless, wild west town.

I know the Shenmue KS was apparently done to prove the demand was there, but I sometimes think KS rewards shouldn't include the game itself as a reward, instead offering first dibs and a coupon to buy it at a discount relative to the amount pledged.

Comment

Donate is a critical word there. That’s what kickstarter is and, again, it’s been around long enough for people to know that. It’s not a buy button. It’s a back button because you go in to back the project. Now whether something like Shenmue should ever have been a kickstarter is certainly up for debate - I think any game from a large company that could have raised finance themselves is abusing the system but that’s just my personal view. Nevertheless, they did it and people backed the project and now they have obviously made a deal with Epic for what they feel is to the benefit of the project. And that’s kickstarter. You back the project. Sure you expect the rewards you were offered but changes come with the territory. Doesn’t make it a scam (beyond a game from a big company being on kickstarter at all), just a part of the journey. But sure, if it’s that big a deal (and people are certainly making it that) then if they have breached the KS terms they will surely get a refund.

Still, I look forward to solidarity from all my Epic Store hating brethren when I complain about this being a PS4 exclusive and that it isn’t coming to Switch.

Comment

Apparently those seeking a refund have already been told they won't be allowed one. The devil's advocate in me says it's poor form to change it in the manner they have done. There's a healthy dose of reality when it comes to a game not releasing on a promised platform like WiiU when the project life ends up going beyond that of the system but with this Steam is still there and still perfectly viable. Metro Exodus, for all the fuss that deal caused, showed that Shenmue III could have been Epic Store exclusive but KS backers still have received Steam keys or offered a choice between an Epic key/Refund.

On the counter argument side there may be a clear reason that wasn't possible but the communication has been terrible over the decision and given it's the same publisher as Metro then they really should have known better. I mean, it'll come to other stores in time at the least as even the Metro Exodus exclusivity was cancelled double quick with the game now on Game Pass, Epic Store just doesn't have the sales legs to avoid games migrating back to Steam down the line. It's a small inconvenience, it'd be nice if the exclusivity earnings helped secure Shenmue IV.

But if they do make Shenmue IV I can't imagine attempting crowdfunding will be viable anymore.

Comment

Will say i think my best experience with a Kickstarter ever was Project nimbus

Got a name and also a line of dialogue (voiced by someone else of course lol) in the game was only a $40 tier

I had a problem with the game and the main programmer contacted me on messenger on steam to run through what happened with the game and bam it was fixed in the next update. And actually chatted a few times when issues cropped up

Thing we had mentioned in the forum on improvements we would like to see inc some i suggested were actually implemented in the game, one was we felt fighting at a distance lacked some satisfaction as they were tiny specs in the distance so they implemented when you locked on it gave a zoomed in view of the target on a small part of the screen

And the really really ridiculous thing was the funding they got was only £17,689. and while progress was slow updates were regular and while i do not think it was a one man game i think it was such a small team as well.

Anyway that impressed me and i would back anything they did going forward......I believe with crowdfunding you have one shot if you screw up you have no chance getting crowdfunding with future projects, if you do well then you are almost guaranteed to get funding later on

Comment

At least it isn't 90s arcade racer!

Epic charge 12% and Steam 30%

If anything it is Steam's fault for not competing with the new launcher.

Comment

Haha, loving the indignation explosion on the Kickstarter page. They did this knowing full well what the reaction would be, so they obviously felt the cash they got from Epic would make it worthwhile.

I've made my thoughts on people's reaction to Epic exclusivity clear elsewhere on the forum - I think it's a massive overreaction, every single time, and it's pretty hilarious - but it is a bit of a gyp that they told people that they would get a Steam key and now they won't. As big a deal as people, inevitably, are making out? Nah. But not quite cricket either.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    but it is a bit of a gyp that they told people that they would get a Steam key and now they won't.
                    Apparently it didn't say that on the backer page itself - it offered PS4 or PC versions and you had to back it before a mention of Steam came up. I can't vouch for that myself as I don't remember but, if that's the case, it's clear Steam was just an intended distribution method to deliver a PC version, something they are still doing. But why didn't they choose the Epic Store at the time? Because it didn't exist.

Comment

Oh, OK. If they didn't say Steam at the point at which people backed it, I don't think it is a big deal.

People just hate EGS.

Comment

Kickstarter is a curious beast.
                        If everything is going to plan, it's great.
                        The moment there's an issue, it all goes to hell in a handbasket, fast.

Backers get confused between buying from a shop and crowdfunding.
                        Creators forget that they should try to adhere to what they've proposed and "meh, welcome to Kickstarter" is not a valid excuse for delays.
                        Backers tend to get an incredible sense of entitlement when it comes to changes to the original campaign and it can be embarrassing.

I don't really get the issue here. Why the hate for the Epic store?
                        Haven't people already paid for the game and this is just the store that they're getting it from?
                        As a non-PC gamer, why are people so angry about using Epic?

Comment

I know. People react like it's Microsoft paying for Xbox exclusivity. As a console gamer, I don't see the issue at all. Nowhere near as salty as the console wars have been. Everyone has like 9 launchers anyway, they just like steam achievements.

Comment

Era has been vague on it, plenty times people have said that the cause of the outrage isn't having to use more storefronts but then not explaining what the problem is. Whatever it is, it's very specific to Epic

Comment

There was a discussion on it here. The main point was that people like Steam's features and Epic doesn't have those same features - I get that but the game is still the game. Others didn't really hold up, like the idea that exclusives are bad for competition when, in reality, it's likely one of the only things that could make a store any kind of viable competitor to Steam and those same people will look for the exclusives on a console. That's about as much clarity as I could get on it.

Comment

Wonder how long it will be before Suzuki is back begging for more money to add in other stuff. Can see it been like mighty disappointment number 9 where before it’s done they’ll be back begging for dlc funding.

Comment

Working...
                                X