X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christ, that Amstrad version :x

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      It looked good but I never really rated it as a shooter. Maybe because I was playing Japanese shooters for a while before Xenon 2 came along.
      I had played quite a few Japanese shooters by the time of Xenon 2 on the Amiga (more so in the Arcades) But I liked Xenon 2 at the time it looked great, lovely smooth scrolling and those Bomb The Bass samples were awesome: shame the Mega Drive sound chip was so crap at samples wit it limited to one channel, because other than the sound the Mega Drive version kills the Amiga game .

I also loved Battle Squadron on both the Amiga and Mega Drive too. Back then Western teams could make the odd good shooter before the Japanese showed them how it was done later on in the Mega Drive life lol

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        It looked good but I never really rated it as a shooter.
        Yeah, it was a cool tech demo. But unfortunately the actual game felt very lacking when it came to being a fun experience. The designer(s) didn't craft a complete package that kept people interested level after level. It all felt too slow and samey. I remember showing the intro off to a few friends and only playing it a few times -- what a waste of money.

Hybris was an early Amiga shooter that actually felt like a reasonably fun arcade game. Then Battle Squadron, by the same developer, offered arcade style thrills with top quality graphics and music.

It's just a sad fact that lots ofUK/Euro shoot 'em ups were usually quite poor next to the best examples from Japan. Even something very basic like 'Astro Warrior' on the Master System is much better than most of the rubbish found on 16-bit computers. The Amiga can do all the things a good shoot 'em up demands, but creating fun, polished gameplay was obviously beyond a lot of UK/Euro devs.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-10-2019, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I had played quite a few Japanese shooters by the time of Xenon 2 on the Amiga (more so in the Arcades) But I liked Xenon 2 at the time it looked great, lovely smooth scrolling and those Bomb The Bass samples were awesome: shame the Mega Drive sound chip was so crap at samples wit it limited to one channel, because other than the sound the Mega Drive version kills the Amiga game .

I also loved Battle Squadron on both the Amiga and Mega Drive too. Back then Western teams could make the odd good shooter before the Japanese showed them how it was done later on in the Mega Drive life lol
          Hopefully someone will release a version for the MEGA SD using the MegaDrive ROM and the Amiga or actual soundtrack.

Comment

I hated the game but nobody could deny Super Nashwan Power was brilliant in any language.

I think Midnight Resistance was the better Amiga game that year. Had a cracked version and ended up playing it uncracked for the difficulty cos I played it so much.

Then the MD version flounces out a year or so after and wipes out how cool it was away...

Comment

What I used to do with the MD version of Midnight back in the day, I'd set left rotate to A, right rotate to B and toggle auto fire with C.

Makes...the game...even more brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                Hopefully someone will release a version for the MEGA SD using the MegaDrive ROM and the Amiga or actual soundtrack.
                Hopefully they could use the remix CDDA tracks from the CD32 version

Comment

OK, why not? Let's jump on the Halloween band wagon (admittedly a few days late) with a spooky Battle of the Ports. Here were are taking a look at 4 versions of the Japanese only cult classic, Clock Tower.

Comment

So, two weeks ago we took a look at Xenon. Now it's time to take a look at Xenon II, a game that may be effected by rose tinted glasses than many others out there.

Comment

Just come up on my YouTube, watched it now, BRILLIANT vid but I **HATE** the game.

It's rubbish!!!!!

Just reminds me of the old Amiga days where they got so good at bas relief-style gfx, they decided to make games around it.

UGH!!!!

Bitmap Bros back in the day to me equalled bas relief boredom.

Bloody ACE vid, tho, and it's nice seeing it again, it *looks* quite seductive in motion but actually playing it will make your inner soul go all pale.

Sheet-white with the most dreadful of apathies.

Comment

Great vid again, mind!!!!!

Comment

(I had the 1990 A500 Batman pack with Batman, New Zealand Story and my mate had given us a free pirate copy of Xenon 2 (and Monty Python) in order to bolster my collection upon startup).

Best game was BATMAN!!!!!! It was ace!!!!!!!

Comment

Speedball 2 = REDEMPTION

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              (I had the 1990 A500 Batman pack with Batman, New Zealand Story and my mate had given us a free pirate copy of Xenon 2 (and Monty Python) in order to bolster my collection upon startup).

I remember liking the car sections on Amiga Batman. Especially throwing out the hook to turn corners.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

The platform sections were crap, but the driving sections were amazing and the head programmer would make the driving sections to Batman Returns on the Mega CD

Comment

Working...
                                X