(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    I finally got around to installing the USB GD-ROM Controller into the Dreamcast... so I’ve been on Jet Set Radio. And then the Twin Sticks came out for some Virtual-ON action.

I love JSR, but whoever designed the controls is a moron. The camera is awful too, but the game has so much charm and character, I really want to love it so much. It just annoys me that they were so close to something legendary.
    Have you tried JSRF on the original Xbox? I could never get into JSR on the DC for very much the reasons described.

Currently playing original Xbox Brothers In Arms: The Road To Hill 30. It could have been great but instead it is merely good. Not being able to shoot through hedges, delay grenade throws, single hit kill even at point blank range or jump over over most fences and gates but not all are all very 'gamey' devices.

There's also something off with the vibration function too where that should be giving you the very useful, palpable indication of damage being taken but it seems inconsistent. If you take your eye off the health meter you sometimes have no idea you're actually being shot until your character keels over.

Allied AI annoys and the control system, whilst adequate, causes problems when you're trying to place your vulnerable squad members precisely behind walls or wherever.

I tell you Panzer Front nailed how to do this sort of game better years before, particularly the asymmetric situational awareness map view which in this game feels like the camera is fighting you, In Panzer Front you could actually direct and control your allies from the equivalent map view, putting in paths, way points for them to follow to outflank the enemy. That is the essentially the same, authentic core of Brothers In Arms gameplay too but was made much better by using that 'god like' RTS element.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 21-05-2018, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      Nice. Have you managed to get night slashers working on the RGB-pi?
      I wouldn't have thought it's powerful enough mate, sadly.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
        been playing quite a bit of Night Slashers today,
        Such a great game. Easily one of my favourite scrolling beat 'em ups.

Comment

NeoSD arrived, I got inpatient waiting to secure a couple of sticks so modded my HRAP3 and away I went:

Magician Lord - Thought I'd give this a go and immediately realised I'd played it quite a lot in and arcade near east dulwich. Anyway, I got owned pretty quick so rebooted and had a go on...

Neo Drift Out - This is excellent! I expect to sink many hours into this.

Finished off with Strikers 1945, which is really rather good. But now bedtime...

Comment

I've been thoroughly enjoying Stunt Race FX since buying it from ghost.

Very nicely, the latest round of Chinese knock-off SNES handhelds let you select 4:3.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              NeoSD arrived, I got inpatient waiting to secure a couple of sticks so modded my HRAP3 and away I went:

Magician Lord - Thought I'd give this a go and immediately realised I'd played it quite a lot in and arcade near east dulwich. Anyway, I got owned pretty quick so rebooted and had a go on...

Neo Drift Out - This is excellent! I expect to sink many hours into this.

Finished off with Strikers 1945, which is really rather good. But now bedtime...
              Didn't you say you were giving up retro gaming? Whatever the case, those games are all really good, so lots of retro fun.

I feel like getting my AES out and spending a few days playing loads of Neo Geo games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Didn't you say you were giving up retro gaming? Whatever the case, those games are all really good, so lots of retro fun.

I feel like getting my AES out and spending a few days playing loads of Neo Geo games.
                I did
                What I'm actually doing is giving up modern, non-VR gaming. So, VR and retro. I may change this again in the future though!
                Day off today to go on a hot air balloon, but it's been cancelled so instead it's Neogeo time.

Comment

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] Try Nightmare in the Dark, see what you think... also Super Dodgeball and Shock Troopers. Some titles you probably wouldn’t immediately think to try...

Comment

Will do. Broke my ossc so I'll have to use the amiga monitor. 14" of CRT goodness lol

Comment

Been playing this on the pi, and it’s great!

Guardians/Denjin Makai II is a Videogame by Banpresto (circa 1995). A beat 'em up in which you control cyborgs against different sorts of enemies.

Comment

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...?game_id=10984

Ooh, that looks good! I might see if it's on my Coinops Xbox, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          So, VR and retro.
                          I might buy the Sony VR seeing that the price is attractive. I'd like to play Polybius VR.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...?game_id=10984
                          Looks like a winner.

Comment

[MENTION=15014]_SD_[/MENTION] 3 winners! Nightmare in the dark is my favourite. 2nd boss owns me though!

Comment

Here’s another great one

This is the full cheated play-thru of Gaia Crusaders for the Arcade (MAME)Please be sure to Rate, Comment, Share, Subscribe!Donations can be sent via PayPal:...

Comment

"What you playing there, bud?"
                                "Gaia Crusaders."
                                "Gayer Crusaders? Who are they more gay than?!"

Comment

Working...
                                X