No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisited Axelay this week. For some reason I never clocked there are two fire buttons. Doh! That’s changed things a bit for me.

After reading the Athena chapter in The Untold History of Japanese Videogame Developers volume 3 (well worth a read BTW) I had a look at Biometal on the SFC. It seems like fairly standard low res side scrolling shmup fair at first but you are bombarded with large enemies from the off. The game uses the typical R-Type style force orb but with a twist. You can only deploy the orb in short bursts and have to wait for it to charge. You can use it as a shield or send it out as a powerful weapon to attack enemies. Makes the game feel kind of tactical. Interesting.

Comment

Metal Slug, Prehistoric Isle 2 and Last Blade 2 on the Neo•Geo.

R.C. Pro-Am 1 and 2 via Rare Replay on the Xbox One. You should have seen the look on my boy’s face when he saw the racing games I’d been going on about so enthusiastically... welcome to the land of crap graphics. Personally I still think they look awesome for what they are, and they’re just how I remember them.

Also got around to doing this...

Last edited by _SD_; 20-03-2018, 04:17.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Revisited Axelay this week. For some reason I never clocked there are two fire buttons. Doh! That’s changed things a bit for me.
        You can (and should) remap them both to a single button. There's no reason not to be firing both weapons at once.

Glad you're enjoying the book!

Comment

Beat Advance Wars. Had a fantastic time with it overall but had to turn animations off for the final battle due to the insane amount of units on the map.

Got a B Rank as my final score.

Comment

Jumped back into FFV, continued my four job fiesta run I started last year. Just reach the N-Zone so I think I'm close to the end of the game.

Comment

Been playing Wipeout XL (2097) and RR Type 4 - beat Wipeout today, but RRT4 will take a while due to the amount of cars to unlock (probably won't bother fully to be fair, there are too many!). I got them all bar one or two nearly 20 years ago* though, vaguely remember the game not letting me get them due to a bug whereby it would unlock the wrong car after finishing in a certain position.

*Terrifying how quickly time flies

Comment

Been continuing my attempt at Metroid Zero Mission via my original Phat DS. Loving the game, but poor Samus has died at my hands enough to be thinking she's living in version of Groundhog day.
                Last edited by gunrock; 05-04-2018, 10:28. Reason: Auto correct made Samus == Samsung!

Comment

Prehistoric Isle 2 remains in the Neo’s cart slot. I’ve mostly been on Demon Front on the PGM though. I’d really like it if my USB GD-jobbie showed up as I have a Dreamcast and twin sticks sat here waiting for some Virtual-ON action...

Comment

Resident Evil: Gaiden (GBC)
                    I played this back around 2007, and liked it. Decided to go through again, and it's even better than I remember. Marvellously tense, great sprite graphics, and I like the combat. Once you get into a rhythm you'll be double-popping zombs in the head and dropping them easy.

Never got all the hate it received. It's a portable game, it's not exactly going to be Resi 4, is it?

Man, I miss games like this.

Comment

Spriggan on PC-Engine has taken up the bulk of my spare gaming time this weekend, genuinely has to be one of my all time favourite shoot 'em ups, just an absolutely gorgeous and superbly playable game. Also put a fair bit of time in to PCE Zero Wing and Hellfire S, they are generally I've found by most people to be regarded lower than the MD versions, but I just love the CD soundtracks of these versions, and they're both brilliant games. All three are games I've put a huge amount of time in to over the years from release until now, yet I've never become sick of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        Spriggan on PC-Engine has taken up the bulk of my spare gaming time this weekend, genuinely has to be one of my all time favourite shoot 'em ups, just an absolutely gorgeous and superbly playable game. Also put a fair bit of time in to PCE Zero Wing and Hellfire S, they are generally I've found by most people to be regarded lower than the MD versions, but I just love the CD soundtracks of these versions, and they're both brilliant games. All three are games I've put a huge amount of time in to over the years from release until now, yet I've never become sick of them.
                        I love the Hellfire music! PC Engine Soundtrack is x100 more epic, but I'm fond of the Arcade original

Comment

Playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Tried this years ago on the PS and it didn't grab me so really barely touched it. Now I'm disappointed I didn't go back to it earlier. Like Quake I/II, Doom I/II, the great Exhumed/PowerSlave and several other old school FPS' I've discovered very late I'm finding it just as entertaining as anything more recent I've played in the same genre.

Comment

Just finished Soulblazer MSU-1 and Rock N Roll Racing (on Veteran) normal version.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                              Just finished Soulblazer MSU-1 and Rock N Roll Racing (on Veteran) normal version.
                              I really need to replace my everdrive with an SD2SNES for the MSU-1 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                                I really need to replace my everdrive with an SD2SNES for the MSU-1 stuff.
                                Macross and all 3 Star Wars games released today

Comment

Working...
                                X