No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving the old PC game Outcast a whirl at the moment and its recent PS4 remake, it's got flaws there is a solid open world Sci-fi game, under the flaws. PS4 version address most of the issues with the original. Not all as the voice acting is the same dialogue, prefer the original CGI opening movie it explains the start better as the remake version looks a bit rushed.

Comment

Lots of 2-player Metal Slug on Neo•Geo along with Demon Front and The Gladiator on the PGM with my son as he’s been on Easter holidays. The jury’s out as to which is the better run n’ gun, but he’s definitely liking the scrolling beat ‘em ups... I’ve explained Gauntlet Legends on the Dreamcast to him and he wants to give that a try too.

Comment

Just been playing the original Xbox Arcade version of Gaunlet myself. Not the sort of game I usually enjoy but I still found myself getting into it.

From the YT videos I've just looked at DC Gaunlet Legends is a significant evolution from that and reminds me very much of DC The Record Of Lodoss War which I played and completed long ago. A bit of a slog at times but I surprised myself by enjoying it despite the less than great graphics and the frustration caused when it got really tough later on.

Comment

Golden Sun on gba today, enjoying it a lot.

Comment

There’s a decent unreleased Gauntlet game for the DS that’s definitely worth a spin.

Comment

Ridge Racer T4 has been killing a few hours for me. I'm rubbish at it though.

I bought a load of Dreamcast games last year, but haven't really got round to them yet, so that's on the agenda for tonight while my wife is on her nightshift.

Comment

Just played through God of War (2005) for the first time this week. Well, it was the ps3 hd one. Really good game with only a couple of annoying parts. The platforming bits near the end and the wall climbing annoyed me and then the final boss destroyed me for ages until i realized if you use the circle button he becomes much easier. Looking forward to the next one now.

Comment

Just tried streaming a bit of Gradius V. It's weird, I can't remember a thing about the game, but because I played it so much the memories come back around one or two second in advance of my progression through the stages. It feels like I'm on mushrooms. Such a strange feeling!

Comment

Panzer Dragoon Orta in 4K for my retro fix this week. Games that age have no right looking so good. And it’s still an absolute treat to play too.

Comment

Had the house to myself for a few hours yesterday so absolutely hammered some gaming time on the PC-Engine and Neo. Managed to fit in full play throughs of -

Metal Slug
                      Metal Slug X
                      Gunhed
                      Magical Chase
                      God Panic
                      Star Parodier

Don’t think I could cope without my NeoSd and Super SD3 now, just the sheer convenience of having every game I want to play on both systems is amazing, and nothing else ever really compares to genuine hardware to play on. Couldn’t give a stuff for owning the actual games now though.

Comment

I tried to play OutRun 2 on the Xbox, because someone keeps banging on about it, but spent most of my time working out how to open the disc drive, which was stuck. A paperclip sorted it.

Comment

Once you get the disc in there you're set. Surely there's no reason to remove it.

Comment

I need to work out how to drift properly.

At the moment, I'm taking a corner, do the brakey-turn powerslide and my car just pivots about 43 degrees and then tries to drive off the course at that angle.

Arcade racers are fun, but like Ridge Racer 7, it doesn't feel like a natural powerslide, just a "pivot" button.

I like it when you're powersliding and your juuuuust keeping momentum and control.

I'll need to take the disc out if the Xbox autoboots it, rather than let me run Coinops!

Comment

What games in your opinion have the powerslide feels?

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                                What games in your opinion have the powerslide feels?
                                I did start making some suggestions, but I was thinking (off the top of my head):
                                Forza 3
                                Stuntman: Ignition
                                Drift: Zen Edition
                                Initial D
                                Driver: San Francisco
                                Burnout 2

Not played enough to comment properly:
                                The Crew
                                Forza Horizon

Now, some games are really technical, like Gran Turismo, and some are arcadey, like Ridge Racer, but I like that sweet spot between the two where you feel like you're manipulating the weight of the car to heft around a corner, but it looks cinematic enough so that you don't grind to a halt.

Comment

Working...
                                X