No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Strike for the Lynx is a very impressive port which looks and plays just like the 16-bit versions. None of this Gameboy/Gamegear-esque cut-down crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post

No Lynx collection should be without Zarlor Mercenary.
      A very nice looking shooter, but it moves a bit too slow and is painfully difficult. If someone really wants a shooter for the Lynx, it's at least a reasonably good game.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Desert Strike for the Lynx is a very impressive port which looks and plays just like the 16-bit versions.
      Sadly, it's too expensive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Sadly, it's too expensive for me.
        Depending how many people notice, you might be able to snag it in this bundle:

Comment

Never tried DMC3 before. I know it's PAL, but it's 60hz optimised anyway so no big deal. Now I just need a PS2 (PCE first though).

Bayonetta is a gift, I'm always buying it for people.

Comment

Bloody pricey copy that, it's like £2 in CeX!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Bloody pricey copy that, it's like £2 in CeX!
              Yeah, I always sweep them up whenever I see it in stock.

Currently 6 euros plus in the Steam weekend sale, along with Vanquish.

Comment

Yeah, the PC version seems pretty great from what I've played of it port wise. Not got Vanquish though, never stuck with me when I tried it before.

Comment

I'm not much of a fan either.

Comment

Now, my "Parodius" collection is complete!
                    Always had the first two as well as "Sexy Parodius" on Saturn so this one was sorely missing. Feels good!

I still have the very first "Parodius" for Super Famicom since my childhood....it's kind of superfluous but I can't get myself to get rid of it. There's also "Parodius Portable" for PSP and maybe we could even count the two "Otomedius" games for the Japanese X360. Anyway, I'm happy.

EDIT: I find it always helpful to post a price with retro purchases, simply as a reference outside of eBay....and I totally forgot this time. It was 35€.
                    Last edited by Samuray; 30-10-2018, 21:19.

Comment

Looks like your Parodius cover is a little sun faded. Probably why it was cheaper. No spine card can also help in reducing the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post

I still have the very first "Parodius" for Super Famicom since my childhood....it's kind of superfluous but I can't get myself to get rid of it.
                        I have all the SFC Parodius games -- they're worth having, because you get a distinct SFC flavour with how the graphics and sound are different. So as much as you could say the arcade/Saturn versions are more impressive, at least the SFC versions have a vibe of their own. it's the same with Parodius on the Famicom/NES.

There's also "Parodius Portable" for PSP
                        It's really sad that Konami didn't release that for the PS2 in Japan -- as it would have been one of my most treasured compilations. I have the PSP version, but outputting the image to a TV doesn't look very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Looks like your Parodius cover is a little sun faded. Probably why it was cheaper. No spine card can also help in reducing the cost.
                          Yeah, looks like it. I don't mind though.

I have all the SFC Parodius games -- they're worth having, because you get a distinct SFC flavour with how the graphics and sound are different. So as much as you could say the arcade/Saturn versions are more impressive, at least the SFC versions have a vibe of their own. it's the same with Parodius on the Famicom/NES.
                          That's actually a very good way to put it. A distinct flavor. Yeah. That applies to other cases as well and probably explains why I keep two copies of the same game around. Examples are "Night Trap" (3DO+PS4), "The New Zealand Story" (MD+FM Towns Marty), "Rainbow Islands" (Saturn + Marty again), "Final Fight" (SFC+MCD+GBA+X360+SWI....soon), "Windjammers" (NEO+PSV).

Interesting. This topic feels kind of worthy of its own thread.

Anyway, didn't "Parodius" on SFC, or NES, have its own unique level? Have to admit I have only played the Saturn version in recent years.

It's really sad that Konami didn't release that for the PS2 in Japan -- as it would have been one of my most treasured compilations. I have the PSP version, but outputting the image to a TV doesn't look very good.
                          I can imagine. Not personally sharing your feelings here because the PS2 is one of my least favorite systems, "flavor"-wise , but I totally get that it would have indeed been nice! Alas, we'll always have Saturn and SFC, at the very least.

Comment

Anyway, didn't "Parodius" on SFC, or NES, have its own unique level?
                            The SNES version has a unique level -- and the Famicom version also has a level not found in other versions. Plus the Famicom has a lot of changes to the graphics.

Also, the game was censored in the West, with some of the more risque stuff changed. I always choose to play Japanese versions of old games because of this sort of thing.

I can imagine. Not personally sharing your feelings here because the PS2 is one of my least favorite systems,
                            I also don't have a lot of love for the PS2 for various reasons. But it certainly has quite a few good games amongst all the dross. I can enjoy the system's best games when I go back to it now and then. I was playing Gran Turismo 3 a few weeks ago -- and it's still my favourite game in the series.

Comment

I have 2 boxed Super Famicom Parodius games (with the missing 3rd one currently on its way from Japan). I've always really loved the style and goofiness of the Parodius games. For someone who's not a hardcore shmup fan the difficulty suits me also.
                              I still have Parodius Portable for my PSP which is a great collection, shame its stuck on the PSP though.
                              Looking to get Sexy Parodius for the PS1 next (not that I have Japanese PS1 to play it though!)

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                                I've always really loved the style and goofiness of the Parodius games. For someone who's not a hardcore shmup fan the difficulty suits me also.
                                Yeah, the style is really fun and charming. I love the way the music always compliments the action perfectly. All the games in the series are expertly crafted to offer beautiful graphics, great music, and solid gameplay. I also like that you can adjust things for all skill levels.

I'd definitely buy a PS4 compilation if one appeared . Or for the Switch if I owned one.

Comment

Working...
                                X