No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well use an emulator if you're going the Framemeister route.
    I'm willing to bet most do .

I have a Framemister and its ace . I also have a Philips old 42 CRT Widescreen TV and a 14' SONY CRT TV and I have to say I rather use the Framemister on my 50 LCD TV. Its looks almost as good and it also means I can play my Saturn through the Amp while enjoing crystal clear Scart image.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Might as well use an emulator if you're going the Framemeister route.
      If there were simply an option in LCD televisions called "Framemeister Mode", you could just use that with retro consoles and not worry about spending ?200+ on a scaler/scanline generator. It would make retro consoles look nice at the press of a button.

When it comes to emulation, you can't escape the fact that you're using a computer to emulate the graphics and sound. That bugs me to some degree(although I think emulation is a great and really respect the people who craft emulators for free) so I do like to use real hardware, as you know it's a 100% authentic experience. All a Framemeister is really doing is making the image look like it would on a CRT(although not 100% exact) and that is important in a world that it now dominated by LCDs that hate low resolution retro consoles.

If I had a games room, it would be have a few Sony CRTs - both of the television and monitor variety. CRT is where it's at if you want to have a proper retro experience. And I actually think there's something entrancing about CRTs that LCDs don't deliver. The technologies are completely different.

Comment

And I actually think there's something entrancing about CRTs that LCDs don't deliver. The technologies are completely different.
        I don't . They were a pain in the ass for me too bulky and a pain the ass to conect your scart console too . I'm glad they are gone tbh .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I'm willing to bet most do .

I have a Framemister and its ace . I also have a Philips old 42 CRT Widescreen TV and a 14' SONY CRT TV and I have to say I rather use the Framemister on my 50 LCD TV. Its looks almost as good and it also means I can play my Saturn through the Amp while enjoing crystal clear Scart image.
          I know that emulation is frowned upon by quite a few people, but I think any dedicated gamer would love to have a games room full of retro machines, as you really can't beat using real hardware.
          Emulation is a brilliant option, as lots of emulators deliver an experience that is very close to the real thing. Not having to worry about space, whether the consoles will look rubbish on your TV, or having to buy a CRT or Framemeister, really is nice. I have a PC with a scanline generator connected, so I output at 640x480 and get, what looks to my eyes, something close to using the real hardware. It's especially nice to use MAME with the scanline device enabled.

I'd never use emulators with filters and running in widscreen at a high resolution. No, use an emulator in 640x480(or maybe 1024x768) and turn off all filters so it's a pure image, then buy a scanline generator for VGA(around ?25) and the image looks really nice. Emulation is great if you set it up right and use a decent controller. I use Japanese Saturn pads.

Despite that, I still love using real hardware. I think, for dedicated gamers, that emulation often inspires them to buy real hardware and software. Emulation is just an option for convenience.

I don't . They were a pain in the ass for me too bulky and a pain the ass to conect your scart console too . I'm glad they are gone tbh .
          Yeah, I also hate the bulkiness and weight. I still have nightmares about lifting them up and down stairs.

The image, though. That has a magical quality that is completely different to what you get from LCD.

Comment

I use a scart splitter. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              Yeah, a scart splitter is a must-have for retro gaming enthusiasts. I have a nice one with 4 sockets. I remember fiddling around trying to change scart cables as a kid - and it was really annoying as I had to keep moving the heavy tv forwards then back.

Comment

Pain in the ass not matter which way you do it . The TV's are too big and bulky at the back and so any time you had to put a Scart Socket at the back it was an pain, as was any time you move the room around or need to change the TV upstairs . Modern TV are just so much easier and HDMI a much better and easier interface.

Comment

I don't use a SCART splitter. Switching between my Cube RGB cable and a PlayStation one isn't hugely difficult. A CRT is a must for a retro gaming enthusiast though.

Comment

Pain in the ass not matter which way you do it . The TV's are too big and bulky at the back and so any time you had to put a Scart Socket at the back it was an pain, as was any time you move the room around or need to change the TV upstairs . Modern TV are just so much easier and HDMI a much better and easier interface.
                    I don't move my room around. My TV has been installed for over 15 year without issue and is extremely easy to use.

Comment

Modern TV are just so much easier and HDMI a much better and easier interface.
                      Yeah, HDMI is great. But be happy that we had Scart, as we got to use RGB, something that Americans couldn't do with their TVs. At least they had 60hz as standard, but mostly used RF or Composite. Of course, I had friends who used 50hz RF Street Fighter 2 on a Pal SNES through RF is a nightmare I never want to experience again.

A CRT is a must for a retro gaming enthusiast though.
                      All this talk about CRTs has stirred my nostalgia and made me want to investigate my options. I did a buy a B&O, but hated it. I think I'll track down a Sony Trinitron. CRT is the only way to make retro console games look like they should. And the image really delivers a feel that LCD, even with a Framemeister, can't replicate.

I don't move my room around. My TV has been installed for over 15 year without issue and is extremely easy to use.
                      My Sony had two scart sockets, but only one was RGB, so I had to move my screen forward to change cables. It was a bit fiddly, but that's only because I had to have my tv close to the wall. With a scart switcher, you also know that makes things really simple. Of course, then you have to make sure your scart switcher is good quality. Having high standards can be a headache, but I won't change.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 13:16.

Comment

I don't move my room around
                        What you don't paint for decorate your room every few years ? . CRT are a total pain and the back sticks out far too much.

But be happy that we had Scart, as we got to use RGB, something that Americans couldn't do with their TVs
                        Yeah I get that, But if we had HDMI and LCD back in the day , CRT wouldn't have a look in. I'm glad to see the back of CRT for my TV and PC Mointor

Comment

Yeah I get that, But if we had HDMI and LCD back in the day , CRT wouldn't have a look in. I'm glad to see the back of CRT for my TV and PC Mointor
                          If scart had been a small connector like HDMI, that would have been cool. LCD, though. It looks terrible with low resolution games. Well unless you buy a Framemeister and add scanlines. I agree that a good LCD screen has many benefits. There's no need for a CRT, unless you're using pre-720p consoles.

Comment

Different things have different applications.

For 240p/480i I use a CRT - everything else I have 1080p LCD and two top quality IPS monitors which I use on my PC.

Comment

I have 1080p LCD and two top quality IPS monitors
                              Traitor!!!

I'll be buying a 4k IPS monitor at some point in the near future. My 1080p monitor is just too lacking these days.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 13:50.

Comment

If scart had been a small connector like HDMI, that would have been cool. LCD, though.
                                Scart not an issue. It was just how heavy and how much the back stood out with CRT Tv's and PC Monitors . Which made them pain

Comment

Working...
                                X