Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Scart not an issue. It was just how heavy and how much the back stood out with CRT Tv's and PC Monitors . Which made them pain
    Yeah, the bulk and weight were an issue, but we didn't have any other option. But since having access to good quality LCD screens, it's little wonder that CRT was cast aside, as its good points aren't needed by most people. There's no need for CRT with modern resolutions.

Comment

Yeah, the bulk and weight were an issue, but we didn't have any other option
      I know, but I never want to go back to that tech . Same goes for Record players, Tape deck and so on . I miss my coal fire though lol; Waking up on a cold Christmas Day with the coal fire on full blast and playing my brand new Mega Drive with dog sleeping by the fire is one of my happiest childhood memories

Comment

All this talk here reminds of how the forum was about 10 years ago, when we were talking a lot more about picture quality and import consoles/games

I've still got the 14" Sony TV I originally had my US SNES connected to via RGB in 1992, and the picture quality was ace. So maybe Sony had something about TVs in that time period. It was a huge step up from me using RF on my C64 hah hah. Since then I have got an S-video cable for the C64 and I could never go back to something else now.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        It is a redesign. It combines the functionality of two chips in previous revisions. It is sharper, and also brighter. Because it is brighter, I added 100ohm resistors instead of the usual 75ohm ones to give it a more similar output to a normal Super Famicom.
        Cheers. Is there a TECHNICAL release though for that being the case? Why is it sharper and brighter?
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          There's no need for a CRT, unless you're using pre-720p consoles.
          I now use a framemeister for everything pre-720p, if i can and even some 720p+ consoles, to scale to 1080p with scanlines) and much prefer the image over a crt ( and i have had over 20 of them since 1980). The image is sharp and cleanly scaled, with crt like motion/perfect geometry and scanline reproduction (should you want it). The colour reproduction on my glossy dell screen, looks absolutely amazing. I had a trinny ISF calibrated and the FM image i have now piddles on it on everything, bar black level and 480i signals.

Those who say the image looks false or too processed, clearly havent spent enough time with it (or any), exploring the massive range of options available. Stunning piece of equipment for using original hardware or emulation.

Comment

I've explored options the last 5 years or so? CRT wins it out for me. I will say though, a 240p image on my TVL800 Trinitron tube looks way better than a consumer set.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

I've still got the 14" Sony TV I originally had my US SNES connected to via RGB in 1992, and the picture quality was ace.
              I've had five Sony Trinitron TVs over the past 25 years - from 14" to 29". They gave a truly beautiful image with all sorts of retro consoles using RGB. I knew a lot of people with Sony TVs, as they had such a great reputation with gamers.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              I now use a framemeister for everything pre-720p, if i can and even some 720p+ consoles, to scale to 1080p with scanlines) and much prefer the image over a crt ( and i have had over 20 of them since 1980). The image is sharp and cleanly scaled, with crt like motion/perfect geometry and scanline reproduction (should you want it). The colour reproduction on my glossy dell screen, looks absolutely amazing. I had a trinny ISF calibrated and the FM image i have now piddles on it on everything, bar black level and 480i signals.

Those who say the image looks false or too processed, clearly havent spent enough time with it (or any), exploring the massive range of options available. Stunning piece of equipment for using original hardware or emulation.
              I have a Framemeister Mini and agree that it does a really good job with really old retro machines like the SNES using RGB scart. Running in 720p with scanlines enabled, creates an image that is like a CRT, but without geometry issues.

With a good CRT, though, you get that CRT glow that an LCD can never reproduce. There's a certain look about a CRT image that is appealing for people who want an authentic retro experience.

You're right - the image definitely doesn't look false or processed. The Framemeister does a really nice job at delivering an authentic look. The benefits of an LCD combined with the good job a Framemeister does, makes me happy with the image quality.

I've explored options the last 5 years or so? CRT wins it out for me. I will say though, a 240p image on my TVL800 Trinitron tube looks way better than a consumer set.
              What are the differences between that sort of Trinitron monitor and a Trinitron television, when it comes to specs? I guess the monitor cost a ton of cash when new?
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 15:01.

Comment

Picked up this original HRAP off the bay for the ps1/2

Wasnt too fussed about the pink buttons, but they turned out to be semistsus and are heaven to play with.

Its in amazing condition too, with the plastic protective layer over the top of the stick, covering the mirror finsh .(Although i might remove this later)
                Last edited by dvdx2; 20-09-2015, 15:03.

Comment

I meant the options on the FM. I'm sure the image on that tube looks awesome too. Maybe we sould get a CRT vs FM image shoot out thread started!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    What are the differences between that sort of Trinitron monitor and a Trinitron television, when it comes to specs? I guess the monitor cost a ton of cash when new?
                    As I recall, it provides a finer image due to having more "lines" or something. And yes, they cost thousands new. High quality components galore.

A CRT vs FM thread sounds like a fun idea!

Comment

Redecorate every few years? No I just buy stuff that lasts a bit longer than a few years!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        Redecorate every few years? No I just buy stuff that lasts a bit longer than a few years!
                        ? Even the best wallpaper and longest last paint , will need to be redone at some point

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

Have to agree

Comment

Team Andromeda, Nakamura, give it a rest with the bickering please.

Comment

On a side note does anyone have recommendations for a scart splitter?
                              Or are they all of the same quality despite price tags?

Comment

As I recall, it provides a finer image due to having more "lines" or something. And yes, they cost thousands new. High quality components galore.
                                Yeah, people got what they paid for. I guess they're also built to be moved around and have inputs that the tv/film industry used with their equipment. The BVM/PVM is another part of the retro gaming scene, so the debate is also between them and standard CRT televisions. I think a good condition BVM probably does deliver the best image, but I haven't seen one in action. I will trust people's judgment, though, as it makes sense that a Sony monitor that cost many thousands would deliver a great image. A standard Sony Trinitron from the '90s does produce a really nice picture using RGB, though.

Originally posted by punio75 View Post
                                On a side note does anyone have recommendations for a scart splitter?
                                Or are they all of the same quality despite price tags?
                                I've heard they vary quite a bit in quality. Some don't like RGB. It's best to investigate gaming forums by googling and seeing if you can get one that people recommend.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 16:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X