• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    To be this Cool, takes SEGA £350

Well...

Comment

Had a few bits shipped to me this week. Love the look and layout of the design on the packaging.

Comment

so I can buy the Saturn Hi Saturn Navi.

Looks like something from a sci-fi movie. Such an awesome looking machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

The best looking system going. Now if only GOD would allow me me to win the Lotto

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
            Well...
            To spend £300 so well, takes SEGA and no footy

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

This looks so 'retro-futurism'. What does it do compared to a normal Saturn? Those controls look like they're for proper audio equipment.

I've been on a bit of a Pokemon binge recently. This is my most recent Book-Off / Yahoo Auctions haul:

It's interesting that while English-language Pokemon games have appreciated massively in recent years - just look at how much a complete copy of Crystal will set you back on eBay UK - in Japan they're pretty much a dime a dozen. I got Stadium 2 (which is our Stadium 1) for about £2.50.

Comment

To be this Cool, takes SEGA

I have the very same. It's not Wondermega levels of design but it's still pretty damn good. I paired mine with the matching transparent black Retrobit 2.4ghz Saturn controller.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
                  This looks so 'retro-futurism'. What does it do compared to a normal Saturn? Those controls look like they're for proper audio equipment.
                  I believe it has karaoke stuff built into it, like the Womdermega did. Plus there's an LCD screen attachment for it to turn it into an early car GPS system.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                    I have the very same. It's not Wondermega levels of design but it's still pretty damn good. I paired mine with the matching transparent black Retrobit 2.4ghz Saturn controller.
                    I love the Cool Saturn, Wondermega and the Multi-Mega. Such amazing and 'cool' looking systems

Comment

Wondermega
                      WONDERMEGA

Comment

@danstan21

There is an attachable screen for it:

Which you can use for playing games, like a PSone screen. Or, if you're living in Japan in the 90s, as a GPS unit. There was an adaptor available separately so you could plug it in in the car and use it for navigation, presumably sat on the passenger seat, like you're a character in some sort of cyberpunk anime.

There are karaoke functions too and I believe it also plays VCDs.

Seriously cool console. One thing I really like about it is how much slimmer it is than an ordinary Model 1 or 2 Saturn - it's a shame the regular HiSaturn didn't really look in any way special like this.

I think they were about £1500 when they came out and not many were sold.

Comment

If I remember rightly [MENTION=3905]wheelaa[/MENTION] owned several of these.

Comment

I think if I got in a Japanese taxi and saw one of those sat on the passenger seat being used for GPS, I'd probably just keel over and die with a smile on my face. You've seen pretty much everything worth seeing by that point, no?

Comment

It also came with a TV Tuner, although I have never seen one with a stamped reg sheet, so it might not have ever hit general retail (and by general retail I mean car dealerships, as afaik, the navi saturn was a car dealership exclusive.) I've only ever seen three boxed tuners, and three (or possibly four, I'd need to check) loose units.

Two pics of my former navi sets. Sold the best and worst earlier this year. (Best TV tuner I've seen!)

Comment

I believe the console, screen, satellite navigation unit and TV tuner were all sold separately as they priced them up like such. Why you'd want the base console on its own is beyond me though, it'd just be an unusually expensive Saturn with a GPS antenna you can run off 12V.

As best as I can figure out from a blurry flyer:
                                Console MMP-1000NV 150,000 Yen
                                4-Inch Monitor NX-4YD 45,000 Yen
                                TV Tuner MMP-TU1000 20,000 Yen
                                Video CD Card HSS-0199 19,800 Yen
                                Photo CD Operating System HSS-0121 3,800 Yen
                                Extra Pad HSS-0118 2,500 Yen
                                Virtua Navi (Satnav Software) 16,800 Yen
                                Virtua Navi Maps 9,800 Yen (6 exist for different regions)

Just think, if you got the console, most of those accessories above (which you'd be daft not to get) and maybe 3-4 games you'd be staring down the barrel of two grand. Car culture was crazy there in the mid-90s though, you had loads of people happily buying car stereo systems worth a few thousand quid and those satnav systems were really taking off then and it wasn't far off the going rate. Plus it was a pretty fancy one with 3D and what-not. To put into perspective, this fairly basic all-in-one Sony Discman GPS came out only a few months before, had only a pretty basic 2D map and was 165,000 Yen. You could have a Saturn doing all this and Sega Rally too for 221,600 Yen.

Comment

Working...
                                X