• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    What is the SD2SNES for? You can load ROMs on the Super Nt lol
    MSU-1 is why I got mine.

Comment

Ah, fair enough.

Comment

[MENTION=2924]Leon Retro[/MENTION] Burnout 2 on Cube is the absolute nuts.

I think, deep down, Revenge on the 360 is my favourite but B2 is bloody close!

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
          not sure why this guy decided to screw you over on a cheap Dreamcast.
          I tend to have the bad luck of buying things from people who are scared to mark parcels as a 'Gift'. I contacted a seller once asking about it - and he said he was worried that the authorities would close down his business if he pretended an item was a gift.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          VAT is charged against both the value of the item AND the cost of the postage... yeah, exactly... ****ing con. And it’s Royal Mail who charge £8 for handling, and Parcelforce who is more...
          Thanks for the info - I didn't know VAT is charged on the postage as well.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          @Leon Retro Burnout 2 on Cube is the absolute nuts.

I think, deep down, Revenge on the 360 is my favourite but B2 is bloody close!
          I also love Revenge on the 360, but Burnout 2 holds special memories for me, as I've played it a lot over the years. I really like the arcade style look of #2, but Revenge is also really attractive and offers a nice contrast in style to #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I tend to have the bad luck of buying things from people who are scared to mark parcels as a 'Gift’
            Scared? Would you be prepared to take the hit if your package was to go missing and you requested the seller mark down a $200 item down to a $10 gift?

You would have zero recourse to compensation. I have sent items all around the world, and the full value goes on, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              Scared? Would you be prepared to take the hit if your package was to go missing and you requested the seller mark down a $200 item down to a $10 gift?

You would have zero recourse to compensation. I have sent items all around the world, and the full value goes on, every time.
              Yeah, you're right. I've just had people say they don't want to get in trouble by marking down the cost of an item, so for them that was the reason.

It just annoys me a bit when something like an import retro game from Japan for say $20-30 isn't marked down to save me unfair import tax. I'd understand if it were an expensive £50+ item. So I totally agree with you when it comes to expensive items.

I bought a rare tabletop game from America for $30 and had to pay around £20 import fees. A Japanese copy of Castlevania IV cost £25 but I had to pay over £10 import fees. It's that sort of situation where I wish the seller had marked down the price on the front of the package.

At the end of the day, it's the government that annoys me. I don't think I should have to pay import taxes on items that aren't readily available in the UK. I can understand why the government wants to put people off importing items that are available on UK shelves, but something like a really old PC Engine game shouldn't be taxable.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2018, 16:29.

Comment

Actually bought a minty CIB NTSC GameCube DOL-001 today on eBay, requested the usual stuff with regards to import fees. Seller politely expressed that he/she wished to buy insurance in case something were to happen during shipping so wanted to mark full value. Zero problem for me, 100% understandable. I agree with you though Leon, I’d be annoyed as well if I had to pay extra for a $30 game. The GC was a fair bit more expensive than that.

I often ask myself why the government wants money because I buy an item that went out of print a decade ago. I can, to a degree, understand it for current items, but for old, used stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  What is the SD2SNES for? You can load ROMs on the Super Nt lol
                  I’m pretty sure it doesn’t?

Comment

Custom firmware lets you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post

I often ask myself why the government wants money because I buy an item that went out of print a decade ago. I can, to a degree, understand it for current items, but for old, used stuff?
                      Someone will probably have excuses for this, but unless there is a truly convincing argument for taxing items like old import retro games, I will believe it's just the government being money grabbers.

When I have bought a really old game for the Super Famicom from Japan for around £20, I think having to pay maybe £15 extra for tax and handling fees when it arrives in the UK, is bang out of order. It feels like I've been mugged.

Comment

I’ve never been able to work out what prompts them to open some packages and not others. A package from Play Asia, which they helpfully stamp their logo all over the box, usually has a 50/50 chance of getting busted. And that’s for a small box with a PlayStation game or two.

Yet I have relatively huge boxes containing 1/60 Perfect Grade Gunpla sneak through without attracting any customs fees at all. It’s nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                          I’ve never been able to work out what prompts them to open some packages and not others.
                          It's one of the mysteries of the universe. It really annoys me having to pay tax and handling fees on something like a £20 Super Famicom game from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Yeah, you're right. I've just had people say they don't want to get in trouble by marking down the cost of an item, so for them that was the reason.

It just annoys me a bit when something like an import retro game from Japan for say $20-30 isn't marked down to save me unfair import tax. I'd understand if it were an expensive £50+ item. So I totally agree with you when it comes to expensive items.

I bought a rare tabletop game from America for $30 and had to pay around £20 import fees. A Japanese copy of Castlevania IV cost £25 but I had to pay over £10 import fees. It's that sort of situation where I wish the seller had marked down the price on the front of the package.

At the end of the day, it's the government that annoys me. I don't think I should have to pay import taxes on items that aren't readily available in the UK. I can understand why the government wants to put people off importing items that are available on UK shelves, but something like a really old PC Engine game shouldn't be taxable.
                            Also keep in mind that if these are games you are buying from eBay then the seller has probably had problems in the past with scammers saying that items didn't arrive or were damaged and demanding a full refund. I lost about $200 in a span of 3 months because of people claiming the item didn't arrive or was damaged and ebay refunded them no questions asked. If I ever sell on eBay again I will make sure that every item is sent with tracking and insurance for the full value, even if its a $20 item, then that way Im protected if someone tries to pull that stunt again.

Ive never had any problems with people on here and I would mark things down as $5, eBay though, never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                              Also keep in mind that if these are games you are buying from eBay then the seller has probably had problems in the past with scammers saying that items didn't arrive or were damaged and demanding a full refund.
                              I definitely appreciate that it's too risky to mark down the price of high value items. Ultimately, I'm just annoyed at the government for making sure I have to pay £22 fees on a $25 Dreamcast. That sort of thing makes me feel....

Comment

Just scour UK eBay tbh. I rarely import these days, you can find the majority of imports are already available inside the UK.

Comment

Working...
                                X