Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    I’d like to think the reason there’s been no official N64 Mini announcement is because Nintendo and Microsoft’s legal teams are faffing around...

Both companies know that an N64 without Rare isn’t an accurate representation of what the system had to offer.
    Good on MS. Why should they even look to help Nintendo, after what Nintendo did with blocking GoldenEye remake on the 360.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-08-2018, 07:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      Yeah, it's obvious that some developers didn't know how to make the most of the N64 tech. There's a stark contrast between the nicest looking N64 games and the worst.
      Well, some of that is down to Nintendo. The cost of the N64 development environment was huge, Nintendo wasn't the best at allowing developers to code to the mental or in proving full documentation of the Hardware. The move to stay on carts totally brain dead, add to that how SCI overhyped and undelivered on their N64 hardware

Even the main games had some issues bar 1 or 2. The Zelda games suffered from the low res display and washed out look, same went for Star Fox, Pilotwings N64 run at 22 fps and in low res mode and like Wave Race64 (which also never hit 30 fps) had to run in a borded display even on a NTSC system and while F- Zero run at 60 fps (like 2 other N64 games) that was at the cost of any sort of detail on the environment or fancy 3D polygon effects on the Background.

Mario 64 was like the only game that never suffered any sort of issues of low res or blurry gfx and that's no doubt because it limited its textures. I loved my N64, but the tech wasn't that great, the display output was terrible and the move to stick to carts and no have a dedicated sound chip, just silly moves that cost the system in the long run.

But I have to say Nintendo In-House teams and RARE made one look over the issues, becasue the games were so amazing

Comment

Ahh, the other 'modern retro' game I was talking about just arrived:

Took a quick peak already and I'm happy with the purchase. Sure, it seems rather simple, but the music is nice and hey, it's a shmup. Can't pass that up.

Comment

N64 Mini would be a funny one ... it represents the birth of the kind of games were playing now and would definitely show its age, whereas the SNES was the peak of 2D (in the mass market) and the kind of games many of us grew up with, and most look just as great today on the Mini as the day they came out.
          Personally I'd still buy an N64 Mini, if only for Pilotwings

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            N64 Mini would be a funny one ... it represents the birth of the kind of games were playing now and would definitely show its age, whereas the SNES was the peak of 2D (in the mass market) and the kind of games many of us grew up with, and most look just as great today on the Mini as the day they came out.
            Personally I'd still buy an N64 Mini, if only for Pilotwings
            3D games will always age more and faster. Playing games today are making a lot of 360 and PS4 games look old hat, never mind 32bit or 63 bit gfx of the mid and late 90's. I mini N64 is totally worth it as soon as you play a N64 game in emu, the issue of the washed out blurry mess of a display via the N64 is gone

I would buy one for Mario Kart64, StarFox 64 and Pioltwings 64, Wave Race 64 alone, which for me are the best in their respective series. It would be nice if Nintendo could get the rights to Acclaim Iguana. They pushed the N64 as much as NCL and RARE

Comment

Here's your N64 essentials list for the potential mini:

Mario 64
              Wave Race 64
              Ocarina of Time
              Majora's Mask
              Mario Kart 64
              Mario Party 2 (the best!)
              Ogre Battle (first time for UK)
              Harvest Moon 64 (first time for UK)
              Bangai-O (different to DC version)
              Sin & Punishment
              Mischief Makers
              F-Zero X
              Goldeneye
              Diddy Kong Racing
              Pilot Wings
              Excite Bike 64
              Paper Mario
              Starfox 64
              Super Smash Bros

(N64 Rare games on the Rare replay disc unlikely to be released on it?)

I'm sure they'd clean them up nicely for HD too.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                that was at the cost of any sort of detail on the environment or fancy 3D polygon effects on the Background.

Mario 64 was like the only game that never suffered any sort of issues of low res or blurry gfx and that's no doubt because it limited its textures. I loved my N64, but the tech wasn't that great, the display output was terrible and the move to stick to carts and no have a dedicated sound chip, just silly moves that cost the system in the long run.
                The N64 was the only console at the time that featured anything remotely resembling 'environments' to begin with. They could see that the future of gaming was going to be all about large 3D environments, so they catered the hardware towards that and made sure the industry/market/gamer understood by launching with Pilot Wings besides Mario 64. The PSX and Saturn simply couldn't draw distance in the same way, if at all. You can easily bet that say an Ocarina of Time port would be pretty much impossible on rival 32/64-BIT hardware without looking hilarious. Draw distance was practically the console's main USP from a technical standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post

Mario 64
                  Wave Race 64
                  Ocarina of Time
                  Majora's Mask
                  Mario Kart 64
                  Sin & Punishment
                  Mischief Makers
                  F-Zero X
                  Goldeneye
                  Diddy Kong Racing
                  Pilot Wings
                  Excite Bike 64
                  Paper Mario
                  Starfox 64
                  Super Smash Bros

Would buy. Missing Kirby 64 and DK 64 though which would obviously replace Bangai-O and Mischief Makers from your list Wouldn’t mind the first Goemon game for Mario Party 2 or 1080 either!
                  Last edited by Nico87; 06-08-2018, 11:31.

Comment

Wonder if the snes mini hardware is even upto it as when i looked into the emulation side of things only a handful of games even ran decently on it although that could be down to the emulation core not been too good. Nintendo would most likely need to upgrade the board they are currently using.

Thinking of games there's not much i'd actually wantto play again.

All 3 goemon games
                    Both banjo games
                    conker
                    puzzle dama
                    mario 64
                    mario story

thats pretty much it

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      The N64 was the only console at the time that featured anything remotely resembling 'environments' to begin with. They could see that the future of gaming was going to be all about large 3D environments, so they catered the hardware towards that and made sure the industry/market/gamer understood by launching with Pilot Wings besides Mario 64. The PSX and Saturn simply couldn't draw distance in the same way, if at all. You can easily bet that say an Ocarina of Time port would be pretty much impossible on rival 32/64-BIT hardware without looking hilarious. Draw distance was practically the console's main USP from a technical standpoint.
                      Draw distance wasnt a N64 strong point really, the N64 had loads of games with heavy use of fogging. The 3D was more solid and the small ram of consoles held them back, but far too many N64 had rubbish frame rates, washed out blurry Gfx and run low res. This display of the system was pretty poor too and most N64 sounded worst than a Snes game, the lack of dedicated sound hardware was a step backwards.

I love the system, but I think SGL overhyped and underdelived with the N64 hardware

Comment

Mario 64
                        Wave Race 64
                        Ocarina of Time
                        Majora's Mask
                        Mario Kart 64
                        Sin & Punishment
                        Mischief Makers
                        F-Zero X
                        Goldeneye
                        Diddy Kong Racing
                        Pilot Wings
                        Excite Bike 64
                        Paper Mario
                        Starfox 64
                        Super Smash Bros

No Blast Corps = Fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          No Blast Corps = Fail.
                          It's already on the Rare Replay disc C-dawg!

Comment

Star soldier is great on the n64!

Comment

It's already on the Rare Replay disc C-dawg!
                              Yeah but owning an Xbox One is fail.

Comment

Fail enough

Comment

Working...
                                X