SNK's new console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNK's new console

I remember a similar thread already existing but I can't find it. Oh well, mods are free to close it down if they can find the orignal.

SNK via tweet announced a new "NEOGEO hardware", withholding any other kind of information...maybe with the exception it will have a modern and stylish design. Another tweet by SNK Japan hinted at the possibility to connect it to the Mini.

[edit] also, if anyone can show me how to correctly embed tweets...
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 02-08-2019, 07:14.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug
    Neo Geo '2 and 3' on the way, apparently

SNK is making a new version of its legendary Neo Geo system, it has been revealed.

The announcement came from SNK Corporation chairman Ge Zhihui, who also revealed that a new Metal Slug title is in development for the new console, as well as other systems. The news came during an investor relations press conference in Seoul.

While it's not known exactly what form the new Neo Geo system will take – or why we're getting two versions, numbered '2 and 3' – Zhihui revealed that higher-than-expected sales of the Neo Geo Mini had convinced the company to create more hardware. However, he was quick to add that these new consoles are unrelated to the Neo Geo Mini, a stand-alone mini arcade cabinet pre-loaded with games that plugs into your TV via HDMI.

Fingers crossed for a new hardcore 2d system! FPGA based designed to throw around loads of colourful high resolution sprites. With FM and PCM sound hardware please.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug
      Neo Geo '2 and 3' on the way, apparently

SNK is making a new version of its legendary Neo Geo system, it has been revealed.

The announcement came from SNK Corporation chairman Ge Zhihui, who also revealed that a new Metal Slug title is in development for the new console, as well as other systems. The news came during an investor relations press conference in Seoul.

While it's not known exactly what form the new Neo Geo system will take – or why we're getting two versions, numbered '2 and 3' – Zhihui revealed that higher-than-expected sales of the Neo Geo Mini had convinced the company to create more hardware. However, he was quick to add that these new consoles are unrelated to the Neo Geo Mini, a stand-alone mini arcade cabinet pre-loaded with games that plugs into your TV via HDMI.

Fingers crossed for a new hardcore 2d system! FPGA based designed to throw around loads of colourful high resolution sprites. With FM and PCM sound hardware please.
      We can but hope . Looking forward to this

Comment

I honestly have no idea what to expect with this.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Yes! So tht the only games running on that will be indie games trying to recreate 8-bit consoles! 16-bit if we're lucky.
          To be honest, I'd love a new 2D powerhouse, but I wonder how many developers would take up such system and how many will actually be able to use such capabilities, whatever they might be.

Comment

Do SNK have any game developers these days?

In my mind, it's one guy who bought the name when they imploded, just licencing stuff and making a living off nostalgia.

Comment

Given some of their recent work I've got a fair bit of faith in their software development capability, but throwing resources at new hardware feels quite ambitious. I'm interested for sure, but I also think whatever comes is likely to be bloody expensive.

Comment

Uh. This is an interesting one. No idea what to expect.

Comment

4K Blu ray capacity without the loading times:

MAX 100 GIGA PRO GEAR SPEC

Game prices range from £1000 to £10,000

Comment

I for one look forward to buying Magician Lord 2 for £8000.

Comment

Yes. NAM-2020

Comment

One things for damn sure, they wont be able to get away with the lacklustre grossly unbalanced genre library in 2019 even now the only games worth playing are the slug series.

Comment

*cough*steambox*ahem*
                          I can only assume the SNK branding shifts just enough units of cheap hardware to make these regular releases worthwhile. At this point it's hard to work out why anyone would want to buy yet another SNK emulation device.

Comment

Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.
                            Please be good and 2D.

Comment

It'll be a refined Raspberry Pi with KOF94 ports

AND YOU WILL LOVE IT

Seriously though, if it can run Metal Slug 8 then it's blatantly a low end PC that will be running SNK ports of past games and their recent output scaled to the device. SNK have neither the money, the market or the resources to develop 2D titles anymore and are barely out of the first early stages of salvaging themselves as a company via the aid of KOF14 and Shodown. There'll be no third parties and no exclusives and it'll be a partner company licensing the Neo Geo name because the X and Mini have shown nostalgic branding can shift the minimum numbers needed to make a buck. The only news is literally that Metal Slug 8 is a thing

Comment

Working...
                              X