Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    But it is free for many of us. A lot of these games I already own. I've not bought any of the 20 odd games I play on back compatiblity recently. They're all games I bought years ago which are getting a new lease of life for free. For example, someone bought God's of War on the PS3 but would like to play the enhanced version. They now have to buy a new enhanced copy costing the same as the original. Owning the original has no benefit. With Microsoft's approach it does.
    Plus almost all multiplatform titles are better on the X and it also plays UHD BluRay with Dolby Atmos. There's nothing not to like.
    Lack of exclusives. I'm not arguing about the awesomeness of the way ms are doing back compatibility. I wish Sony did the same. It makes no difference to me because I kept my PS3 so I have a way to play those games still and the fact I have an ossc means that SNES and PS1 and neo Geo games all have a new lease of life on my big TV. For free. Well, for free if you have an ossc same as the Xbox one X situation. Point people are making is that a lack of exclusives on that platform means it's a hard sell, especially at 450 quid so the back compatibility is a way to sweeten the deal. If they had sufficient exclusives they wouldn't need to put the effort in that area. Sony are winning this gen, they have the exclusives, they have VR, they don't need back compatibility. If it was the other way around Microsoft wouldn't have bothered either. It's always been this way. 360 won last gen so Sony were going on about Microsoft blocking cross platform gaming. Now Sony are winning Microsoft are saying yeah, we're up for cross platform but Sony say no, because there's nothing in it for them.

TL;DR whoever is winning a generation will be a bit more dickish about stuff than whoever is playing catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Lack of exclusives. I'm not arguing about the awesomeness of the way ms are doing back compatibility. I wish Sony did the same. It makes no difference to me because I kept my PS3 so I have a way to play those games still and the fact I have an ossc means that SNES and PS1 and neo Geo games all have a new lease of life on my big TV..
      Lack of exclusives have been an issue for MS from Day One . SONY since the PS2 have always enjoyed the best In-House and 3rd part support.

I still have the OG XBox, but that can't compare to being able to play Orta in 4K or how BC not only improves the screen res, but also in a number of titles the frame rate too. If you own a 4K TV and want to play consoles games, watch films at their best and have the dosh the XBox One X is a non-brainer. I'm pretty sure BC was planned at the start of the XBox One and if we listen to digital foundry baked into the hardware.

For me its very much like how I owned both the Snes and Mega Drive, where I used the MD for the 3rd party stuff and then enjoyed the unmissable and unbeatable NCL In-House games like Mario IV and Super Metroid; I use the PS4 for the incredible In-House efforts and the One X for the 3rd party stuff. BC is just a totally nice bonus and I don't get why others look to knock it, other than childish point scoring, which I guess shows it a lovely feature when fans of rival systems look to knock it.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post

Why, oh why wasn’t this system made backwards compatible NEC?

Comment

I'll never be interested in the PC-FX until someone miraculously finds a way to get RGB out of it.

I mean, I'm interested but I won't investigate properly until then.

Comment

There's barely anything worth playing on it anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Says the one who goes on about Neo Geo ports on the Switch lol.
              Not once have I "gone on" about NeoGeo ports being on the Switch - what I do like is the portable 2-player arcade machine concept, and that can be applied to any 2-player game, even FIFA. You really need to stop throwing the fanboy argument around because it's outright incorrect, super-childish, and quite frankly offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                I'll never be interested in the PC-FX until someone miraculously finds a way to get RGB out of it.

I mean, I'm interested but I won't investigate properly until then.
                It's not the best picture. but it's more than playable. I'm going to try one of those s-video to HDMI boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Not once have I "gone on" about NeoGeo ports being on the Switch - what I do like is the portable 2-player arcade machine concept, and that can be applied to any 2-player game, even FIFA. You really need to stop throwing the fanboy argument around because it's outright incorrect, super-childish, and quite frankly offensive.
                  I think we had a debate over that last year before the site crashed. I like the irony over fanboy, but I'm only saying BC is a nice feature and looks a hell of a lot better even, than some full price remasters and all you need is the original disc.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                    It's not the best picture. but it's more than playable. I'm going to try one of those s-video to HDMI boxes.
                    I got one of the boxes and they work a treat for my DC. Btw you going to get any of those FMV games. I've often thought about getting a PC FC to play the likes of Battle Heat . Sometimes one sees the PC FX going really cheap and it maybe worth a punt if the FMV games play ok and are fun

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      I think we had a debate over that last year before the site crashed. I like the irony over fanboy, but I'm only saying BC is a nice feature and looks a hell of a lot better even, than some full price remasters and all you need is the original disc.
                      I agree! Just... where are the original games? I want to buy an X! The hardware looks amazing, it just needs backing up with equally amazing content. As you know I have the same problems with the PS4 (but not PSVR, funnily enough). I'd be all for playing Orta again in 4K but it's just not worth buying an expensive console for.

I really don't know how they're going to justify an Xbox 2 if they don't segregate the X software library from the base One and start giving it some platform-exclusive content. That would mean alienating a ton of early adopters (as Nintendo found out with the n3DS - another stupidly powerful device that hasn't seen much exclusive support), so at the end of the day the best we can hope for are Xbox One games in 4K.

Sorry for my reaction yesterday, btw. I was just in a foul mood after being mis-quoted. I don't care what anyone says to me in all honesty, it's all banter and I'm a big boy. Donkey Kong, Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors... I won't be buying those because I already have them in half-played form on the WiiU (although they are great for people who skipped the WiiU entirely, which let's face it is practically most people). Those games don't immediately disqualify the stellar 2017 support in the form of BoTW, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and more. Pokemon and Animal Crossing don't interest me at all, so besides Smash Bros. 2018 has the potential to be a dry year for me - a good time to clear 2017's backlog.

Now, isn't this a retro thread?

Comment

I agree! Just... where are the original games? I want to buy an X! The hardware looks amazing, it just needs backing up with equally amazing content. As you know I have the same problems with the PS4 (but not PSVR, funnily enough). I'd be all for playing Orta again in 4K but it's just not worth buying an expensive console for.?
                        Any game I would list, you would dissmiss or say it looked crap on Youtube or from your 5 mins playtime in a shop, so its would be pointless.

All I will say is there are some very nice exclusives, the BC is utterly amazing as are 3rd party games on the One X and that EA access and Gamepass offer incredible value for money with a huge collection of both current and retro games , for less that the price of a couple of retail games... Great vaule, more so for NHS workers on a limited budget and who can't afford a gaming PC setup

Comment

Well anything that isn't directly from Platinum Games or Treasure deserves immediate dismissal. I'll give passes to Monster Hunter and Souls, but just barely. GOW looks like a step in the right direction but I fear it suffers from the same repeated executions time and time again. A game always needs more than five gays to skin a cat for it to pique my interest, and you can easily tell the stinkers a mile away from Youtube*, or even better; almost three hours on the game in question in a shop with a full abilities load-out. I agree with [MENTION=938]Tobal[/MENTION] on that.

*Admittedly this can sometimes be down to crappy game play.

Comment

five gays
                            is that the new tasty burger joint that opened lately for homosexual men?

Comment

Nothing but curly fries.

Comment

Cheapy svideo to hdmi box arrived!

Composite direct to TV

S-Video to HDMI box 1080p

Comment

Working...
                                X