No announcement yet.

If you could only own one console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a tricky one to answer, because I choose to play my PS4 out of any console right now, but the 360 has given me the most joy because it stayed around so damn long.

I have memories of playing Dead Rising in my tiny bedroom at my parent's house, through playing Ken's Rage with my baby son on my lap, to hammering GTAV and EDF 2025 on my projector before going current gen.

That's over a decade of gaming joys!

I also had more disposable income, time and friends online in those early days.

I think the question is "What's your desert island console?", so I guess it's still the 360.

Comment

If you get access to every game along with it, it’s hard to argue with the PS2. I reckon it probably has the most good games and the most variety. You’d never get bored with it. Now if games were limited, I’d end up going with something different because, while the PS2 has the most good games, other systems have my favourite games. Silent Hill 2 might actually be the only one of my game favourites on the system.

But I also reckon the DS would be a good choice, especially if you get to play the GBA games (which I think you should given that the system has a dedicated slot for them).

Comment

Yeah, backwards compatibility naturally counts, perhaps I should have made that more clear. I simply meant that I wasn't even taking PS1 BC into account when I made the variety claim. My list would be twice as long had I added in PS1 games as well.

I'd pick the Xbox One over the 360 for example, seeing as you get access to some excellent exclusives in addition to a huge selection of BC titles.

Comment

Well up until last Christmas when my missus bought me a Switch, I had lasted years with only two consoles, an MD/MCD combo and a SNES. Therefore either of those will do, and if b/c counts as well then as a bonus I get to play either SMS or GB (via SGB) games too.

Between the two I think they each have their strengths. The MD obviously has better shmups, but also better beat ‘em ups IMO (the best SNES ones tend to be single player), better sports games and the MCD adds some decent PC conversions as well of course as its own library. SNES on the other hand has some of the best RPGs ever crafted - great if you’re stuck on a desert island - Nintendo’s amazing first-party titles, and better one-on-one fighters.

Tough call between those two but for me I’d be happy with either.

Comment

I could easily live on a desert island with a PS4 and Fallout 4, Minecraft, No Man's Sky VR, Skyrim VR, Witcher 3, Deus Ex and so on.

Maybe Desmond's Lost hatch, rather than a sparse island with only one palm tree, but that's kinda how these things go.

Comment

Well hang on, if we’re on a desert island I’m definitely going with the DS because I can play the Lost In Blue games and they’ll teach me how to survive and discover a mystery and get off the island.

Comment

I just thought of a good ‘un.... does a Supergun count?

If ‘yes’ let’s see everyone change their response...

Comment

Come on now... anyone who has given backward compatibility(ies) as a deciding factor needs to go back and give a proper answer. It totally defeats the purpose of the question

Comment

PS2 really is the ultimate console just by virtue of being capable of playing PS1 and PS2 games though.

If we're completely ignoring backwards compatibility then it's still PS1 for me. There's just so much to explore and discover there.

I may have said this before but there's something very appealing about going back to basics and starting over with just a PSX, a small CRT TV and a copy of Ridge Racer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                      Come on now... anyone who has given backward compatibility(ies) as a deciding factor needs to go back and give a proper answer. It totally defeats the purpose of the question
                      I guess the obvious answer would be a modded OG Xbox with a bunch of knockoff SNES, PSX, MD etc USB pads and a stick for Mame.

Comment

Japanese Sega Saturn without a doubt. It was a time I was really in to arcades and the Saturn had the most and best arcade ports of that time, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                          Yeah, my bad. It only goes for PS2 and Xbox 360 though. It's not like I'd refuse people to use Virtual Console on Wii U either!

Comment

Although technically it's a handheld more than a console i'd go with DS everytime the library is vast and varied theres enough high quality gaming to last several lifetimes along with all the other software that was released for it so in between gaming i could learn a crapton of other things.

Comment

Ps2. I preordered it, and put up my letter from Sony. Got a weekend job to pay for it. It was magical playing for the 1st time.
                              I really regret selling it for a 360. Ive never loved a console as much since. I should get one again really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                                Probably shouldn't have made this thread as it just makes me want a PS2 even more.
                                You've actually got me hunting down PS2 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X