Show us your game related objects 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're such a knob, Importaku.

Now my wallet is nearly 40 quid lighter too!

I bought Electronic Plastic many moons ago and never regretted it, occasionally flicking through it for the games and lovely design.
    I'm at the point where I'd rather buy a book with all the artwork, than attempt to collect the actual games.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      You're such a knob, Importaku.

Now my wallet is nearly 40 quid lighter too!

I bought Electronic Plastic many moons ago and never regretted it, occasionally flicking through it for the games and lovely design.
      I'm at the point where I'd rather buy a book with all the artwork, than attempt to collect the actual games.

that one looks nice, where did it come from?
      Last edited by importaku; 02-12-2020, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        that one looks nice, where did it come from?
        I think I bought mine from a Virgin Superstore around 2000, alongside this:

Looks like it's about £30 second-hand on Abe Books (I've used them a few times - recommended).

Its by Buro Destruct and not only were the packing, screenshots and handheld shots nice to peruse, but there's a smidge of info on each game and the design is gorgeous, with a Designer's Republic feel to it.
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 02-12-2020, 15:38.

Comment

I think I bought mine from a Virgin Superstore around 2000, alongside this:

Looks like it's about £30 second-hand on Abe Books (I've used them a few times - recommended).

Its by Buro Destruct and not only were the packing, screenshots and handheld shots nice to peruse, but there's a smidge of info on each game and the design is gorgeous, with a Designer's Republic feel to it.
          https://burodestruct.net/publication/electronic-plastic
          Hehe i'm only 20 years late on that one but even a used copy is not too much i was expecting it to be waaaay more. May have to look into picking up a copy of that one as i do love seeing old retro electronic game stuff. I grew up with a lot of the VFD kind of stuff like munch man & astro wars. Also those Tomytronic 3D games.

Comment

Yeah, it's a proper memorabilia fest!

Some interesting curios in there too.

Comment

My favourite of the era was an LED game from Tandy called KINGMAN:

Not to be confused with KONGMAN:

You can see where my fascination with robogorrilas started!

Comment

This is my favourite LED game in my collection. I imported it from America around 12 years ago when I went crazy collecting all sorts of tabletop games. I really like the theme and the design of the exterior. The gameplay isn't overly basic, so it's pretty fun to play.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2020, 23:34.

Comment

that looks pretty cool

Comment

that looks pretty cool
                    As soon as I saw it on the US Ebay... I had to have it. The case design looks really creepy. It makes an interesting change from your typical LED shoot 'em up games.

Now we'll have you collecting LED games when the prices have rocketed....

I bought most of mine for £5; the Dracula tabletop was the most expensive at £20. America and Japan got some really cool ones that we didn't get in the UK, but I decided to give up collecting them when I realised it would end up costing me a fortune importing the rare ones in good condition.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2020, 23:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      As soon as I saw it on the US Ebay... I had to have it. The case design looks really creepy. It makes an interesting change from your typical LED shoot 'em up games.

Now we'll have you collecting LED games when the prices have rocketed....

I bought most of mine for £5; the Dracula tabletop was the most expensive at £20.
                      Nowadays it would be too hard to go for that kind of stuff, due to the age of a lot of them you will have failing screens and dodgy electronics as well as broken plastics & everything in between to deal with. Anything in reasonable condition will have a high price tag to match. But i still do love reading about them they are my era of playthings so they do bring back great memories. I also love the electro mechanical ones from the late 70's early 80's the ones like the car racing game with the revolving track and the little car you move left and right and it all been mechanical apart from a tiny red led that flashes when you crash.

Comment

Nowadays it would be too hard to go for that kind of stuff, due to the age of a lot of them you will have failing screens and dodgy electronics as well as broken plastics & everything in between to deal with.
                        Yeah, it was even hard to find nice examples back in 2005, so they'd be really expensive these days. The more rare tabletops from America go for silly money in good condition.

But i still do love reading about them they are my era of playthings so they do bring back great memories.
                        They're such interesting curiosities from a very different era of gaming. I love looking at the huge variety in case designs -- and it's also interesting how the designers created fun little games using such limited tech.

They're also much nicer than the cheapo Tiger sort of handhelds from the late '80s. The bright LED graphics and vibrant colours are really attractive.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-12-2020, 00:28.

Comment

Not to be confused with KONGMAN:

You can see where my fascination with robogorrilas started!
                          Kingsman reminds me of a similar type of game that I still own called ‘Screwball Scramble’

Wow it takes me back...

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                            Kingsman reminds me of a similar type of game that I still own called ‘Screwball Scramble’

Wow it takes me back...

Yeah, I used to love those marble maze games

Comment

Yeah, Screwball Scramble is an evergreen classic still being made today.
                              The main difference with Kongman was is was a vertical ascent as it was battery powered.

Another maze game I liked was Tomy's Trips Over Traps/Tricky Traps/Aaargh:

Pocketeers were also great fun!

Comment

I remember learning a while back that 'Screwball Scramble' was originally "Run Yourself Ragged". Keita Takahashi (of Katamari fame) listed it in his top games of 2016 over here.

Comment

Working...
                                X