Framemeister vs CRT shootout! Pic from other scalers added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framemeister vs CRT shootout! Pic from other scalers added

bit of fun this one - in light of the recent chat about quality of image, lets do a nice selection of pics from both displays.

No professional screen grabs (camera only). Please state if you are using emulation or original hardware.

To get us started, heres a rather nice 240p game (harmful park) (720p/scanlines & 1080p/clean upscaled shots) from original hardware

i am going to do a large selection later tonight - i fancy some Metal slug!
    Last edited by dvdx2; 14-11-2015, 00:03.

Shouldn't this be in the tech section? I thought it was a newly announced crossover fighting game at first.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 21-09-2015, 09:52.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

To get us started, heres a rather nice 240p game (harmful park) (720p/scanlines & 1080p/clean upscaled shots) from original hardware

I also set the Framemeister to 720p with scanlines, as that looks best to my eyes. It really does a great job with 240p games. Harmful Park looks beautiful(as you've shown) through the Framemeister.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I also set the Framemeister to 720p with scanlines, as that looks best to my eyes. It really does a great job with 240p games. Harmful Park looks beautiful(as you've shown) through the Framemeister.
        fire up some pics of your fav games if you get a chance!

Comment

Game on guys!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Game on guys!
            Over before the game has even started, in my humble opinion,

I've actually saw the xrgb mini up and running in dvdx2's setup and everything the man has been preaching is the truth; lag free, perfect geometry and the ability to tweak away until your heart is content. It would be fair to say that it easily surpassed all of my expectations.

Comment

^ It's true... I too have seen. And it was wonderful.

Comment

Certainly looks very good.

I like the curvature of a CRT myself - though I know some people don't. I was sat on my floor cross legged playing Choh Makaimura last night... Image looked great obviously and I kinda chortled to myself as I kept dying over and over on silly mistakes - smashing the reset button of my Super Famicom each time I did.

Much like PC gaming, I never game from a distance and sitting on the floor in front of a CRT is an integral part of the nostalgia thing, along with screen curvature and older games machines.

Perhaps I'm being a bit romantic, but scalers to me have no soul - CRTs are special.

Comment

Are we factoring input lag? 😆

Comment

The problem with crts is they are just plain ugly. Big & bulky and the housing not that pleasing to the eye even PVM's are the same, obviously you're looking at the screen as that's the important bit lol but even so they stand out a lot if your room is modern. That's why i chose a plasma panel and then eventually a framemeister as i can no longer look at tiny CRT screens. anything below 40" is far too small for me.

With the right settings lag is not an issue, considering i play music games i haven't noticed any significant lag that has thrown me off my rhythm.

Even with svideo i can get something that looks respectable, on a crt this would look like absolute junk through svideo without a decent scaler, and that's another advantage over crt as you have to rely on RGB with a crt as anything lower and it looks like junk.

Didn't even bother tweaking for optimal picture this was a quick & dirty pic i took a while back when i got my nitro. DS screen blown upto 51"
                    Last edited by importaku; 21-09-2015, 16:20.

Comment

Funny you should mention how they look. I actually love the aesthetic of the PVM. A perfect cube (roughly) with minimal styling, favouring function over form. But I'm the same kind of person that would rather a business laptop over a MacBook.

Comment

The problem with crts is they are just plain ugly. Big & bulky and the housing not that pleasing to the eye even PVM's are the same, obviously you're looking at the screen as that's the important bit lol but even so they stand out a lot if your room is modern. That's why i chose a plasma panel and then eventually a framemeister as i can no longer look at tiny CRT screens. anything below 40" is far too small for me
                        Yep there's no going back now . I'm loving my Saturn, Mega CD, Snes through the framemeister. I know only use my CRT for lightgun games

Comment

I love the look of a CRT. HD screens are just bland and if they have too much bezel, looks naff. But I can appreciate how easy they are to mount etc.

I find it ironic that Importaku needs a 40'' when he plays so many DS games! [emoji38]

Comment

Lest we forget that the xrgb costs near 200 quid. You can get a Phillips CM88 for peanuts or a large trinitron if that takes your fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Are we factoring input lag? 😆
                              Never experienced any and i have used 7 systems with it.....

Comment

Working...
                              X