No announcement yet.

Little Things that Bring a Smile to Your Face 5: Rainbow Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade bread fresh out the oven. The smell, the taste.. mm mmm.

Also: walnuts and pomegranate in a little bowl. Man, those flavours compliment each other. Much like almonds and sultanas; delicious with a glass of wine.
    Last edited by Zen Monkey; 18-07-2018, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I'VE BEEN THERE!
      ME TOO!

ALSO VISITED THE CASTLE NEXT DOOR!

Bit of a trek to get there but worth it. Best bit of info I learned is that ninja's wore dark blue and not black like you see in typical American films because if wear black you can still stand out in the dark.

I also liked the kit they carried around with them like roll-up ladders, I can understand where the creators of Doraemon perhaps got that idea from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Wow, cool! The manhole cover looks adorable. Great pics!
        I was crazy giddy at the thought of going to ninja town. I was like a kid!

We took the train out of Tokyo and it was hilarious how their trains were really modern and had bilingual messages and were really futuristic, but each time we changed train, it got older and more rickety. The station is about 100 years old!
        I had a nice chat with a Japanese student and we discussed how we were both interested in the future and history of Japan, which is why we went to Iga.

When we got there, everything was ninja. The map and trains at the train station had ninjas on them (not my pic):

Basically, the ninja museum is next to the castle, which we could see on a hill, so we thought about getting a taxi, but decided to walk, but we got lost. I asked a couple of schoolgirls in awful Japanese "Ninja: Doku desu ka?".
        They both looked at each other and simultaneously went "NINJA?!!!!" Then lead us about 50 yards before having another discussion and leading us back the way we came and beyond, up to the museum.

The whole presentation in the ninja house is in Japanese, but as the guides are talking, they have drop-down (ninja?) scrolls with information on them, so we knew what was happening and everybody went "Oooo" if it was exciting.

After the tour of the house, you're lead out to an auditorium where a ninja shows you various techniques and tricks like using the katana to climb a wall like a step and then yanking it back up with the rope.
        On the left of the picture you can see where you can throw the shurikens.

On the train home, everybody wanted to talk to us including a little kid who I could see asking his mother if he could talk to me and wanted to know what I was playing on my Famicom GBA I'd bought out there. "Mario San Desu." I said in my awful Japanese.

Good times!

If you want to learn about Japan's ninja secrets, you should visit the Iga Ueno ninja village in Mie Prefecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
          ME TOO!

ALSO VISITED THE CASTLE NEXT DOOR!

Bit of a trek to get there but worth it. Best bit of info I learned is that ninja's wore dark blue and not black like you see in typical American films because if wear black you can still stand out in the dark.

I also liked the kit they carried around with them like roll-up ladders, I can understand where the creators of Doraemon perhaps got that idea from.
          I was there for the ninjas, baby.

If you believe QI, ninjas wearing black came from stage hands in theatre at the time, but it could have been life imitating art imitating life.

Oh yeah, those grappling ladders were great! I took a snap:

Comment

I have some pictures too, could do with getting them scanned but would probably be next week before I can do it and by then we'll be on something else.

Your pics brought some really nice memories back though, thank you.

Comment

My pleasure, [MENTION=6966]Anpanman[/MENTION]!
              It was nice to reminisce, myself.
              Deffo dig out some snaps, please.

Comment

Because people probably aren't seeing it, you need to go check out the Beat Saber first play thread.

Here's an example vid of my son playing

Comment

Check out this guy’s animated gifs; they’re absolutely incredible...

There’s more on his Twitter and tumblr account too. This Zelda one is my favourite https://mobile.twitter.com/ktwfc/sta...mes-1827682361

Comment

Going on our annual sponsored 10 mile walk at work this afternoon. No weeding, no digging, no dry stone-walling, no sowing today, just a pleasant stroll in the sun through green rolling hills down to the sea with a tonne of people with learning difficulties who, I gotta say, are way more fun than regular folk . Seriously. Every lunch break I go sit and talk with them about frogs and apple pie and clouds rather than sit with my fellow staff and talk about the news and politics and serious nonsense. I love my job.

Comment

That you can't spell "advertisements" without semen between the tits.

Comment

That Vita memory card I bought has a load of games on it. Some are demos, but it's been fun trying them all out!
                        WipEout 2048
                        ModNation
                        Everybody's Golf
                        Reality Fighters
                        Motorstorm RC
                        Little Deviants
                        Gravity Rush
                        Escape Plan
                        Top Darts
                        Hustle Kings
                        Super Stardust Delta
                        Michael Jackson The Experience
                        Virtua Tennis 4
                        FIFA Football
                        Touch My Katamari
                        Ridge Racer
                        Frobisher Says

Comment

Katamari is my fave out of all those, but most of them are demos. Although my son really got into it, so I didn't play as much as I'd have liked, which is annoying as I cracked open the Vita because him and my wife have been hogging the Switch!

Anyway, my smile is that I've had an amazing weekend. My wife and kids have been away, so I totally capitalised on having the house to myself and do as many fun things as possible. (Not like that, you perv)

I had to do a few tasks, like plant a shrubbery, but once that was done, I was free to chillax.
                          I've watched a Kung Fu film (Man of Tai Chi), an episode of Stranger Things, a 3D film (Terminator 2) and some Top Gear (including that ace Japanese episode). I've played some Vita Katamari and started God of War. I even rigged up the iPad so I could watch Zombieland in the hot tub, drinking beer!

I possibly would've liked to have watched one new film and learned how to play a boardgame, but there was only a finite amount of time to squeeze all the fun in.

I'm totally looking forward to seeing them all again tonight, but it was fun playing bachelor for a couple of nights!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Katamari is my fave out of all those, but most of them are demos. Although my son really got into it, so I didn't play as much as I'd have liked, which is annoying as I cracked open the Vita because him and my wife have been hogging the Switch!

Anyway, my smile is that I've had an amazing weekend. My wife and kids have been away, so I totally capitalised on having the house to myself and do as many fun things as possible. (Not like that, you perv)

I had to do a few tasks, like plant a shrubbery, but once that was done, I was free to chillax.
                            I've watched a Kung Fu film (Man of Tai Chi), an episode of Stranger Things, a 3D film (Terminator 2) and some Top Gear (including that ace Japanese episode). I've played some Vita Katamari and started God of War. I even rigged up the iPad so I could watch Zombieland in the hot tub, drinking beer!

I possibly would've liked to have watched one new film and learned how to play a boardgame, but there was only a finite amount of time to squeeze all the fun in.

I'm totally looking forward to seeing them all again tonight, but it was fun playing bachelor for a couple of nights!
                            Absolutely love this post QC big smile!

Comment

A drinking acquaintance of one of my bezzies threatened to glass me tonight.

And then he immediately legged it, we all saw him running, haha.

Ginger Martin, they all hate ya, mate. It's because you're a horrible, passive-aggressive ball of impotent rage and you look like a bad, ginger, less successful brother of Hugh Laurie, you have a high lip but it makes you look malformed.

Oh god what a dwad this guy is. I never fall out with anyone but this dood is the exception.

Comment

I get to use my axe today!

Comment

Working...
                                X