No announcement yet.

The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlight for me at Meiji Jingu last time I was there was meeting a presenter from an NHK show about Tokyo and having a nice chat with him.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Boss: "Hi, we're having a small meeting and we'd really value your input. Do you think you'd be able to attend?"
      randombs:
      You jest, but that’s not far from the truth.

A company visited us for weekly 2-hour presentations over three months. My manager signed me up because they wanted someone from IT to answer questions but he was busy with a large project. A month in I told him I didn’t want to go to the meetings any more because they were boring and I’d just do work on my laptop the whole time. I also told him he shouldn’t go either.

Imagine if I’d been one of those numpties who’s worried about saving face or whatever.

Besides, you’ve met me. You know they’re putty in my hands

Comment

3 years ago today since I was last in Tokyo.

My Facebook "On This Day" is doing an amazing job of making me feel ****ty!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Time to start saving those pennies again.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            Not really, in fact I've seen instructions how to proper use water fountains in many shrines last year. It's like entering a church, as long as you respect the rules, no one will object to you being there. And maybe you'll be mistaken for a wedding photographer like it happened to me in Hiroshima last year :P
            I assumed DT would be creating his piece at home based on photos rather than actually visiting Meiji Jingu. If so, I think he meant would it be inappropriate to pixelate a shrine like a Japanese phalllus. Or a Japanese phallic shrine

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Time to start saving those pennies again.
            I read that as panties! I've been in Japan too long!

Comment

3 years ago you was moaning you wanted to go home while in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                3 years ago you was moaning you wanted to go home while in Japan
                I know! Crazy, huh?!!

Comment

I know! Crazy, huh?!!
                  You know you've lost all rights to go back to Japan, now?
                  I'm sorry, but those are the rules.

Comment

I need to get back to Japan. There’s an itch under my skin clawing at me to go back.

But, I’ve just bought a house, no chance of a big holiday until a few years now 😭.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      I assumed DT would be creating his piece at home based on photos rather than actually visiting Meiji Jingu. If so, I think he meant would it be inappropriate to pixelate a shrine like a Japanese phalllus. Or a Japanese phallic shrine

I read that as panties! I've been in Japan too long!
                      Hehe, you dirty perv

Comment

I have a question that I think could be really hard to know the answer to. I'm doing a hint of skyline in my pic and I want it accurate to now. On Google Maps street view, there is a building to the left of the Tokyu department store in Shibuya. But it is only half built and I don't know when the street view pics were taken. I'm assuming it's finished now but I'm having trouble locating even what it is to find out what the finished thing looks like. Googling pics, I can't seem to find it probably because most online were taken before it existed. Does anyone have any idea how I'd find out what this building is? Google maps is really messy around there because it also maps the station and underground so I can't seem to identify it on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I have a question that I think could be really hard to know the answer to. I'm doing a hint of skyline in my pic and I want it accurate to now. On Google Maps street view, there is a building to the left of the Tokyu department store in Shibuya. But it is only half built and I don't know when the street view pics were taken. I'm assuming it's finished now but I'm having trouble locating even what it is to find out what the finished thing looks like. Googling pics, I can't seem to find it probably because most online were taken before it existed. Does anyone have any idea how I'd find out what this building is? Google maps is really messy around there because it also maps the station and underground so I can't seem to identify it on that.
                          It's the Shibuya station Skyscraper, which is part of a massive renovation to that area that includes the Department store itself.

There is an article about it here, along with the buildings that will be there by 2027
                          Last edited by EvilBoris; 11-02-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much! That's really helpful!

UGH! Except it's so giant, it totally throws the scale of my pic. I need to rejig a few things to get this to work. But yes, thank you. I would have got that all wrong based on the google street view pics.

Comment

forgot the article
                              Shibuya is undergoing a major transformation ahead of the Olympic Games to be hosted in Tokyo in 2020. The huge redevelopment project will reshape the area around Shibuya Station, known to many as a cultural hub and home to the famed scramble crossing and Hachikō statue, giving it a brand-new feel.

Comment

Cool, thanks. So my intention was to have the Shibuya Mark City building frame the top of the image on the right because I really like the look of that building and so the buildings lower approaching the left where the Tokyu building is. Except this new skyscraper would totally flip the balance. I might have to abandon the Mark City building and place the new skyscraper on the left and see the skyline to the left of that now.

Comment

Working...
                                X