Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCharlie View Post
    woah - this is good to know.

I switched to Monzo when i got back to the UK and i'm planning a trip back to Tokyo and was wondering how Monzo was out there.

How about taking out cash from ATMs? I am old enough to remember the dark days of having to have a Citibank account.
    Though as i type this i remember i still have an active Mizuho account so i could just transfer from Monzo to that if i really need to get cash.
    I didn't have any issues though there is a daily limit now so check that. I think I only needed cash for arcades. They all probably take cards now

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
      A couple of other tips, Google Translate is good, put the camera on everything from bus stops to items in a supermarket and it works well.

If you are travelling about I would recommend Navitime on the phone I personally found it more up to date than Google. One bus stop I was at had times translated by Google as changed the previous week or so but Google still had the old time, Navitime was bang up to date.
      I use a Navitime app for checking train schedules! Here's a link to the one I use - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.inbound.walk

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Navitime have an app for visitors to Japan called Japan Travel - Route,Map,Guide.
        Lol, after I post I see your post. This app is great for train schedules. That's all I use it for but if the other features are just as good nobody can go wrong with this app.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          I use a Navitime app for checking train schedules! Here's a link to the one I use - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.inbound.walk
          Sorry for any confusion that's the one I have, it's also nice that someone like yourself has backed up my thoughts since you're there you will use it more than I ever would.

We were there end June but as Arnie says we'll be back, we've booked flights for next May.

Comment

I’ll be in Osaka this time next week. I still can’t quite believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              I’ll be in Osaka this time next week. I still can’t quite believe it.
              Have fun!

Comment

I'm planning the next trip, tentatively for 2025...I say tentatively due to the Expo in Osaka.
                Anyway, I'm planning to finally go to Hokkaido, and aiming for September. I guess the weather won't be too cold up there, right? I was thinking of September for the food festival in Sapporo.

The current trip plan is: Italy->London/Frankfurt/Munich/Paris/Stockholm (depends on airline)->Haneda->New Chitose, I think picking JAL this time because of miles with Oneworld, then getting flight back to Haneda or KIX before going boarding the return flight home. Question about domestic flights: do I have to go through customs every time, or domestic flights have different exits?

About Hokkaido, I was thinking to visit Sapporo (4/5 days), Asahikawa (4 days), and Wakkanai (2/3 days). Does the length of stay sound alright? Any other locations worth visiting? I'll rent a car to reach Asahikawa and Wakkanai, last time driving in Japan was quite easy (navigator with voice in English and interface in Japanese aside).

Comment

Sounds like a lovely trip, domestic flights don't require customs just show your passport for ID when checking in. I've flown from HND a number of times domestically but never intonationally, we are doing that for the first time this year. When you land at HND you have to collect your case and then check-in again which does seem a bit odd.

We normally fly into KIX, really nice airport and since it's smaller than HND/NRT your baggage tends to arrive quicker.

Whatever you do NEVER consider MAN. It's a fate worse than death, particularly T3 which is even worse - yes, a fate worse than a fate worse than death.

Comment

I've never seen Manchester used as a hub for international flights, at least those connecting from other nations.
                    I've come to like Haneda much more than Narita: closer to Tokyo center, smaller, with less than half the people. The lounges I've been in have large windows onto the apron, with reclining chair to spot planes in utmost comfort

Comment

When I go home it's always to Manchester but I do transfer at some European country first. Last time it was Finland. Before that, Holland.
                      Anyway, yep, Manchester is a ****ty airport. Came out of the custom gates only go be instantly hit by some twat asking for Coffee money. WTF! Definitely not a good image for anyone visiting the country.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago me and the wife spent an hilarious thirty minutes or so reading reviews of Manchester on Google and FR24, comedy gold.
                        "It is truly embarrassing for a flagship International Airport. The journey from T3 to the arrivals pickup carpark is like walking through Pripyat..."

Comment

New video out today.

Comment

OK, now I kinda want to see Manchester airport

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              OK, now I kinda want to see Manchester airport
                              You really dont. TBH most British airports are tatty, They are in a constant state of update.
                              Last edited by huxley; 02-02-2024, 09:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                New video out today.

Great stuff enjoyed that.

Oh and everywhere was cleaner than Manchester Airport...

Comment

Working...
                                X