The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    This time aweek tomorrow I'll just be taking off from Heathrow to Haneda.

It's gonna be a great trip!
    Right, enough thrilling escalator chit-chat, what's your agenda, [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION]?

My trip was Tokyo > Kyoto > Fukuoka > Osaka > Tokyo.
    I crammed so much in. Arcades, theme parks, tea ceremony, ninjas, tower views, sushi, retro game shops, Bandai Museum, blossom festival, coach trips, castles, saunas, capsule hotel, bullet train etc etc etc

I'd love to go again and can't wait for your pics!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I'd love to go again and can't wait for your pics!
      Oh, so you want to know what it's like in Japan, now? I took these on Sunday

So cold we pulled down the typhoon shutters to keep the living room warm.

Last edited by Yakumo; 27-01-2016, 16:11.

Comment

Ha! I saw one of your snowy pics on Twitter the other day.

Nice picture, but I'm hoping a tourist like teddymeowmix will capture something more thrilling than a mundane train station!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          But back on topic. Hope you have a great time on your trip but know that most subway stations around Tokyo don't seem to have escalators and only one tinny lift from what I remember. Unlike down in the southern part of Honshu and Kyushu.
          Yeah; when I wrenched my leg whilst out snowboarding and had to traipse around Tokyo, with a barely functioning right knee... Ugh makes me wince just remembering it.

Comment

Ha! I saw one of your snowy pics on Twitter the other day.

Nice picture, but I'm hoping a tourist like teddymeowmix will capture something more thrilling than a mundane train station!
            I'm quite partial to Japanese trains and stations. So you know.

It's gonna be a touristapalooza!! It's my bro-in-law first visit so it's gonna be super touristy stuff.

Akihabara.
            Shinjuku.
            Shibuya.
            Imperial Palace.
            Ikebukuro for Namjatown & Mega Pokemon Centre.
            Sensors.
            Various gardens and parks.
            Akihabara.
            Nakano Broadway.
            Ramen.
            Tsukemen.
            Katsudon.
            Akihabara.
            Ueno.
            Bullet train to Yokohama.
            Odaiba.
            Akihabara.

You get the idea.

Comment

You've forgotten to visit Akihabara...

Comment

You've forgotten to visit Akihabara...
                Bugger!!

Comment

Even Kagoshima got snow - first time in 100 years. They didn't know what to do and gave everyone the day off.

So why is it our kindergarten winter camp (in a ski resort) is devoid of snow and rained out? Instead of two days playing with the kids in the snow, I have to do four lessons for 100-200 kids at a time

Comment

What are you guys on about?

I bashed my knee on a concrete floor in London on NYE(sober) and the last week of my holiday there was horrible. The station accessibility map was depressing, with even popular stations not having escalators. I guess it's to do with how old the stations are because the DLR line looks like pure wheelchair heaven.

Conversely, getting about in Tokyo is an absolute breeze. Only if I venture out into the sticks do I find a lack of escalators but I rarely have a reason to do that unless I'm buying something off Craigslist.
                    [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]: I used to use that escalator for the same train switcheroo, too! Ah, the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      I'm quite partial to Japanese trains and stations. So you know.

It's gonna be a touristapalooza!! It's my bro-in-law first visit so it's gonna be super touristy stuff.

Akihabara.
                      Shinjuku.
                      Shibuya.
                      Imperial Palace.
                      Ikebukuro for Namjatown & Mega Pokemon Centre.
                      Sensors.
                      Various gardens and parks.
                      Akihabara.
                      Nakano Broadway.
                      Ramen.
                      Tsukemen.
                      Katsudon.
                      Akihabara.
                      Ueno.
                      Bullet train to Yokohama.
                      Odaiba.
                      Akihabara.

You get the idea.
                      Go look at Tokyo Tower and the Sky Tree but save your cash and don't go up, go up the Metropolitan Government Buildings in Shinjuku instead.
                      And drink a beer with the homeless in Ueno park. There's a Starbucks* in there now (I'm not sure how long it's been there tbh) which is proper swish. *They do not sell alcohol
                      Mos Burger
                      Mr Donut
                      Lotteria (korean, i know)

Comment

Ooh, yeah. Mos Burger!

Tonkatsu Wako too. Love it.

I've been up the Met Govt buildings before and they're great.

Comment

Yeah should have guessed that.

There is this awesome tonkatsu restaurant in Ushiku we went to, but it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, as most things in Ibaraki are.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                            I absolutely hate Heathrow airport. The signage is terrible and the staff are mostly miserable ****ers who can't speak English properly. Manchester is a much more pleasant experience I try to arrive and leave the UK via Manchester whenever I can. Plus it's only a 40 minute drive from Liverpool, BONUS!
                            Whilst I detest Heathrow, Manchester's not much better.

I travel at least twice a year longhaul and use it for business as well.

Queues for security are huge, quite often they are shouting for passengers on certain flights as they know they won't clear in time if they wait in the queue.
                            You have to pay for baggage trolley's or even to weigh your case and the departure lounge resembles the Trafford Centre rather than an airport.
                            Some of the departure gates in T1 are more like a bus station than an airport.

On arrival queues for immigration can be horrendous, particularly for non-euros and baggage even worse, I flew from Exeter in December - 50 minute flight, and the bags took nearly as long. I tried mentioning the fact that the staff weren't unloading an A380 to one the of the 'customer service' personnel but soon found I was wasting my breath.

Comment

Ah, every time I arrive at Manchest it's late at night so I've not had to deal with waiting. Never knew it was that bad. Never had any issues flying out either. Guess I was lucky.

Comment

I fly out of Manchester every two weeks and agree, the airport operations team are a complete joke. God awful staff to boot. 2/10

Comment

Working...
                                X