The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Please see the first thread here, closed due to the size it has now reached -

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Thanks Colin, just copy-pasting my post in the last thread:

"Managed to find superb fares to Haneda that match the from-Japan-only Yobiyose fares so we'll be there in a few months.

I'm wondering if any JP residents here would be willing to apply for, get, and sell me the (free) Taspo card (one that allows cig purchases from vending machines)? It's a simple process but only open to residents.

It's a nostalgia thing for me, getting smokes out of the machines, I know it's a bit odd. Thought I'd ask if I could pay for someone's trouble ti get one all the same, with much appreciation.

Cheers"

Comment

Has anyone got any recommendations on ryokans they've stayed at in Kyoto?

Also, thinking about staying in Tokyo for a week as well. Anyone ever booked an apartment there instead of a hotel?
      Last edited by chopemon; 18-11-2015, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
        Has anyone got any recommendations on ryokans they've stayed at in Kyoto?

Also, thinking about staying in Tokyo for a week as well. Anyone ever booked an apartment there instead of a hotel?
        I'll post a couple of places when I get home.

Comment

Been looking at travel money for my trip in a few weeks.

Usually I go Post Office but their rate is pretty bad at the moment. Does anybody have any experience of the online sites like FairFX?

Comment

I've probably said it before, but Skytree is not worth it if you've been to Tokyo Tower already. Go and look at it from outside and don't pay the silly money (2400yen?) to go up.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Usually I go Post Office but their rate is pretty bad at the moment. Does anybody have any experience of the online sites like FairFX?
              I have often use Travelex, normally offer a good rate. Post Office in my experience are one of worst places to go, their rates are just awful, both for buying and selling. Debenhams in Basingstoke offer good rates at times. Have to say im very envious of you going to Japan, my missus has no desire to go at all

Comment

I usually check on here

then wherever I go ask them to match the best protected rate, they usually do with no problem. If you have one of them special Halifax cards they are free and you get the proper rate, same as an app called revoult (I don't know if you are protected with that but you can get a card) may be worth a look for you.

Mate of mine used these https://www.iceplc.com said they were fine have not used them myself

Protip - exchange any yen you have left at narita in the little travelex by the train I got a better rate by miles there than back in Blighty.
                Last edited by ETC; 31-12-2015, 10:54.

Comment

[MENTION=12011]ETC[/MENTION] Do you mean FSA protected?

I always change back to Sterling in Japan.

Comment

@ETC Do you mean FSA protected?

I always change back to Sterling in Japan.
                    Yep protected

Comment

I tend to use Post Office or Travelex, PO in my experience have had decent rates online particularly when buying up to the maximum (?5k) as you get a higher rate.

I've had problems with Travelex in the past when collecting at MAN with larger amounts as they need authorisation from a manager - which is odd when they've already had your money and done any background checks on you, issue being I'm quite often on an early flight out and a manager isn't always on hand so then the staff member starts messing around on the phone etc.

Comment

[MENTION=12011]ETC[/MENTION] I went to Thomas Cook, the Post Office, Eurochange and Debenhams today and none of them would match the best protected rate.

How bizarre?!

Comment

@ETC I went to Thomas Cook, the Post Office, Eurochange and Debenhams today and none of them would match the best protected rate.

How bizarre?!
                          do you have a small money exchange place I used these guys if you are back in Newcastle on business in the near future http://www.theholidaymoneyshop.co.uk...-de-change.asp

Comment

Couple of hotel recommendations for you

Hundred Stay in Shin-Okubo - Close to Shinjuku, great area, massive rooms (by Japanese standards) Gym, lightning fast internet, lousy breakfast.

Citadines Central Shinjuku - In Kabukicho, nice rooms, great breakfast, fast internet.
                            Seeking hotel apartments that provides all the comforts to work, live and play? Book with Citadines to enjoy the conveniences from the home away from home.

So there you go

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger View Post
                              Couple of hotel recommendations for you

Hundred Stay in Shin-Okubo - Close to Shinjuku, great area, massive rooms (by Japanese standards) Gym, lightning fast internet, lousy breakfast.

Citadines Central Shinjuku - In Kabukicho, nice rooms, great breakfast, fast internet.
                              www.citadines.com

So there you go

I stayed in the citadines it was excellent even had a little kitchen and a decent bath in the bathroom.

did not try the wifi as I rented a Mifi box when I went for about ?30 for a week unlimited just dropped it off in the postbox at narita on the way home was a lifesaver

Comment

Working...
                              X