No announcement yet.

Star Trek: The New Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really the exploration of undiscovered space that I'd like to see, too. My favourite Trek is the original series, where you get episodes like Mudd's Women, The Devil in the Dark, The Gamesters of Triskelion, etc. All with the budget of a village panto but great ideas.

Comment

CBS Corp. president and CEO Leslie Moonves has essentially admitted that the new “Star Trek” TV series in the works is going forward purely to help boost its new digital VOD subscription platform CBS All Access. Speaking with reporters yesterday during its third-quarter earnings call, Moonves explained why the network is proceeding with the series: […]

Seems there was no great interest in Star Trek as a tv series as was previously the reason we didn't see anything following the film reboots. The new show has been commissioned purely on the basis of being a low financial risk way of attracting business to the digital service it's for.

Comment

There’s been talk of this for years with Brian Singer pitching ideas and a Captain Worf series being my favourite idea.
        I liked the new timeline stories as action movies and I understand why they had to take the franchise in this direction in order to attract current audiences, but personally I hated them as Star Trek.

I watched TNG as a child in the early 90’s and it was what really sparked my interest in sci fi, even more so that Star Wars. It was the amazing stories, originality and strong characters that really drew me in. I’d prefer a new series to be set after Voyager as it allows an unlimited potential in storytelling and progression.

For standalone episodes TNG, for series spanning story arcs DS9, Enterprise got this wrong with having no real standalone episodes meaning if you missed one you couldn’t really watch the rest of the series.

I hope they get some of the good writers and producers back, I still think that Gul Dukat is the best written bad guy ever.

Comment

I'm assuming it'll be a mix, seems like most TV has moved to arcs these days. I enjoyed TNG as a kid but once I got older I struggled with it as very little happened in 7 season which carried consequence. There's some great eps in there. On the opposite end of the scale I enjoyed DS9's arch and there are some absolute gems of episodes tucked away in it, felt like they had a really strong grasp of their characters too but there is a fair 'non-Star Trek' whiff about it at times so I can see why it struggled a little, especially arriving at the same time as Babylon 5. Voyager, it gets a lot of stick and has its flaws but I liked it too overall. There's some decent eps in there but several of the characters were weak and it contorted a lot of try and stave off the dwindling franchise interest.

Enterprise, very up and down. There are things I like but you can tell a mile off it needed fresh blood behind the scenes. Without that each season is like a direct reaction to what was poorly received the one before. Season 3 was good though. If anything, the new series has my interest because there's so little pure sci-fi on television these days, even if it's likely to be heavily informed by the latest films and presumably will get stick for not being about the Enterprise.

A new ship story which revives the 5 year mission into unexplored space but with some of the arc aspects of Voyager/Enterprise S3 whereby the crew has to endure thing ship damage etc with the Federation not always being at hand would be nice. And 13 eps, 22 is too long and easy to lose focus for the writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            I enjoyed DS9's arch and there are some absolute gems of episodes tucked away in it, felt like they had a really strong grasp of their characters too but there is a fair 'non-Star Trek' whiff about it at times so I can see why it struggled a little, especially arriving at the same time as Babylon 5.
            That's not entirely co-incidental either. The writers of DS9 saw B5's written treatment long before either series existed. Personally I think their focus on a continuous arc and the involvement of religion heavily in the sci-fi setting were lifted from it; I suspect they believed it'd be OK as they probably thought Babylon 5 would never be made ("what? A sci-fi show by the writer of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors? Well that's not happening").

Comment

Babylon 5 kicked its ass up and down the nerdy sci-fi playground. That was how to do a sci-fi show with arcs.

Comment

The first two seasons of Babylon 5 were really good for its time. Season 3 is still brilliant to this day, Season 4 wrapped things up pretty nicely too. Season 5... it's a shame the show was so messed about as being able to tell its arc properly over the 5 year period would have probably made it a stronger cross across the line.

Comment

Yeah, what happened with the last season was unfortunate but still had some great moments. But it felt like the main story was over at that point.

Comment

I never really got on with Babylon 5, is it really worth revisiting?

Comment

That's become the new Godwin's Law, surely.

Weird thing is, before I saw B5, I hated it when people got all militant about it. I had a friend years ago who was massively into it and would never stop praising it vs other series.

Then I watched it.

Now I'm one of those people.

And I hate myself.

Comment

The only things I remember about Babylon 5 is the the giant alien thing with the CCTV camera head, the bloke with the daft haircut, and the CG - which was actually action based instead of Star Trek with it's static reused shot from outside every 5 minutes.

Comment

I watched it back in the day and then got the big box set years later. Made my wife watch it. Pretty much through most of the first season, she was all 'this is unbelievably terrible, it is just nostalgia that has you watching this now'. By early into the second season, she was bugging me to watch three a night. It became an addiction for her.

And yeah, the acting and effects are stinky in the first season but watching it a second time all those years later only served to hit home just how great a show it really is. The stories weave beautifully.

Comment

Absolutely, it's aged visually and in some other ways quite a bit but for it's time it was so ahead of the curve compared to the shows that were popular at the time. Right in the heart of the era where TV Execs still believed viewers didn't have the attention spans for long term narratives, now they're everywhere. I'd love a worthy revival in some form but from reboot to spin-off to remake I can't think of anything that could be done of worth bar making it look but current.

Star Trek was held back by the reserved expectations of the fanbase, too much berating anything that didn't involve the Enterprise on more TNG-esque peace treaty missions etc. The films have thankfully already established the visual refresh and wiped the slate clean so hopefully we can get a decent direction going. The Prime Timeline was a mess by the end so having that set aside is probably for the best.

Comment

Paramount and CBS have tolerated and often encouraged “Star Trek” fans to have fun with their property, allowing productions of various fan films to go forward with their projects so long as they weren’t commercial endeavors. That attitude seems to have changed though as the companies have filed a lawsuit in California federal court over […]

Biggest sign a new Star Trek series is on the horizon... having previously been fairly relaxed with fan made content, Paramount is moving to shut down the kickstarted fanfilm Star Trek Axanar

Comment

In a truly brilliant piece of news, “Hannibal” creator and showrunner Bryan Fuller is set to return to the “Star Trek” franchise has been named as show runner of the upcoming new “Star Trek” TV series being produced by CBS’ All Access streaming service. Fuller got his start on “Star Trek” back in the late […]

Bryan Fuller, the man behind Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me and Hannibal has been confirmed to be the showrunner for this new Star Trek series. Fuller has previously written episodes for Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

The new series is said to be based on an entirely new crew and situation so as to avoid any direct connection with any events shown in either Timeline 1 or Timeline 2, though presumably it's part of the new canon. The new series is expected to hit in January 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                X