No announcement yet.

Star Trek: The New Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent “Star Trek” guest star Tony Todd is returning to the franchise, revealing during a new interview that he’s up for the upcoming small screen revival that CBS is developing for its streaming service. Todd told the podcast MORTIS of his involvement and revealed some of the timetable for the new series which seems further […]

Tony Todd, who has appeared in ST several times before including a heart wrenching DS9 episode, is said to be in the running for this

Comment

Nicholas Meyer, the director of the two most acclaimed original “Star Trek” films – “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” has joined the upcoming small screen continuation of the franchise at CBS Television Studios. “Hannibal” showrunner Bryan Fuller is steering the new ‘Trek’. Meyer will be involved […]

Star Trek II and Star Trek IV director Nicholas Meyer has joined

Comment

This is a very good thing. Dare I think that this might actually turn out to be something positive?

Comment

My main concern with this is when it is set, has there been any details about this yet?

Ever since I heard the concept of a Captain Worf show I've hoped that any new Trek series would continue the original timeline after Nemisis/Voyager.

Comment

I'm the opposite. For me, that whole timeline was milked dry, in both excellent ways and poor ways too. I want new. For me, what is important is capturing the spirit.

Comment

Excited to see a new Star Trek series come to light!! I'm open for anything but would prefer a traditional type of exploration of unknown space and solving moral problems.

Comment

Yep, that's really what I mean by my ridiculously vague use of the word 'spirit', You summed it up nicely.

Comment

Completely agreed with Dogg and Dan. I'm not bothered about continuing or developing pre-existing storylines, it's all about the vibe and the structure that Dan summarises above for me.

Comment

As long as we get away from the technobabble, it'll be good.

Comment

I'd love to so it recapture the feel of TNG/DS9/VOY and agree that this is the most important aspect it's just that other than them being okayish action films there was nothing about the new timeline that I liked.

Everything from the design, production, actors to the 'new' characters could have literally been from any other series had they adjusted them slightly, I fear that the bad differences made for the films would find their ways into the tv series...

Dunno about others but I kinda liked the techobabble, it suited certain characters like Geordie, Data and O'Brian.

Comment

I appreciated the technobabble, it was impressive just how in depth and technical it all goes but I imagine that we've seen pretty much the very last of Timeline-A now. By the time Voyager and Enterprise had wrapped the original timeline was so convoluted the writers had painted themselves into a bit of a corner. For the new show it will be interesting to see how they approach it as if it isn't Kirk/Picard it tends to struggle more with audiences. I'm going to guess they'll stick with the existing era as well, still gives them the freedom without having to use up a redesign that could be saved for when the Kirk era is done.

Comment

Hoping it will be set in this under-utilised era, if just for the wonderful outfits...

[hide][/hide]

Comment

Wife loves to watch Star trek voyager and actually i do quite like it i think it gets a bad rap as for me a lot of shows around that time episodes had a mixed hit and miss rate

Comment

Growing up Voyager was probably my favourite ST series, but as I got older I really started to dislike the characters and I began to realise just how much of a missed opportunity it was. The plot device of placing them in the Delta Quadrant allowed for endless possibilities but quite often ended up with mediocre episodes. That being said, some of the two parters were excellent, 'Scorpion', 'Year of Hell', 'Equinox', 'Basics', 'The Killing Game' are up there with the best of TNG and DS9.

Comment

I had a few major problems with Voyager and, yes, one of them was the characters. But mostly, I think it came down to wasted potential. The idea of a merged crew made of of enemies was excellent and yet they just functioned like a Star Fleet crew. Completely wasted. Being so far away from any supplies, repairs and allies was a great idea. That ship should have been cobbled together from spare parts at the end and yet there was no real consequences to the setup.

But what eventually turned me off the show was the inconsistency in the writing with regards to any moral dilemmas. Janeway would routinely break the prime directive with very little reason and yet, when it was something that would get them home, she would get all by the book. Sloppy writing. I just got bored with it after a while and stopped watching a few seasons in.

Comment

Working...
                                X