Star Trek: The New Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: The New Series

“Fringe” producer and 2009 “Star Trek” reboot co-scribe Alex Kurtzman is developing a new “Star Trek” TV series which is being pushed into production next year ahead of a proposed January 2017 debut on CBS. The premiere episode, and all subsequent first-run episodes, will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS’ All […]

Rejoice Star Trek fans, CBS is moving forward with a new television series of Star Trek. The new show will come from the co-writer responsible for Fringe and the 2009 film relaunch.

It will enter production next year and hit CBS All Access in 2017. Whatever form the new show it will not be connected to the films but will presumably take place within it's frame and established timeline.

Could be interesting. On one hand, television feels like it has moved on leaps and bounds in the 10 years Trek has been off air. On the other, the likes of X-Files are coming back so maybe old will be new again. Curious then to see how modern or different they go.

Comment

I was all Trekked-out by Enterprise and never gave that a fair stab. After 7 whole series of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, I was burnt out. This news is most welcome.

Trek, X Files, Star Wars - it's like 1997 all over again.

Comment

It's curious that Enterprise is the one show that's still canon in the new timeline.

Comment

Is it though? I only watched bits of Enterprise but there seemed to be implications of messing with timelines in that one too (I really didn't watch enough to know for sure). Obviously Archer's dog got a mention but I'd imagine very little of anything is canon any more.

Comment

I Liked Enterprise but the rest...

There was a stretch where you'd get Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Stargate in the same 3 hour block. Proper pissed me off that as at the time the only alternative was Last of the Summer Wine. Soul destroying television.

Comment

Yup, Enterprise still holds in terms of canon. It's a slightly awkward fit but then the show was an awkward fit with the initial timeline too. It dabbled with various time related stories and the first timeline affecting the past events Enterprise was covering so I presume if they ever had to explain the show away (though they'll likely ignore the existing connection) they'd be able to quickly and fairly easily. There seems to be a tiny nod in Star Trek XI where they mention Archers dog but it doesn't stack in terms of when each are set.

Enterprise was so heavily held back in terms of set up. I didn't mind it but it was torn between fan demands of having an old school ToS/TNG style show and what the competition was doing as TV sci-fi had moved on. I'm assuming they'll try and make the new show like the new films but on a small scale, can't imagine something like TNG where most eps involve talking it out will get much traction.

Comment

And had a little bit of intelligence to them - no doubt it'll be dumbed down :/

Not that you'll get to see it anytime soon without signing up to CBS's exclusive premium subscription.

Comment

I hope this new series takes the good points of the original series and TNG and mixes them together to make a really fun show, full of drama and action. I can only hope it's not dumbed-down with an annoying cast. Apart from the tone and scripts, the cast aspect is vital.

Comment

There will be so much money in this if they can get it right. As others have said, TV has moved on massively since Enterprise. They need to be doing something to the standard of HBO/AMC's top flight series.

Comment

I hope they recapture the magic of the relationships and the drama of life in space, such as the adventures of Worf's son and that Ferengi kid or when Geordi would see Data doing something funny. Good times.

Comment

It's a good opportunity to nab fans too if they focus on exploring undiscovered space. It's such a recurring compaint the films recieve but they don't have the running time to justify that type of story. The series could possibly really delve into that exploration angle to open ideas for the films etc in time as used to be the case.

Though I expect a fair bit of fan pleasing too. It would take a small tweak to have the Borg rock up early.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          It's a good opportunity to nab fans too if they focus on exploring undiscovered space. It's such a recurring compaint the films recieve but they don't have the running time to justify that type of story. The series could possibly really delve into that exploration angle to open ideas for the films etc in time as used to be the case.

Though I expect a fair bit of fan pleasing too. It would take a small tweak to have the Borg rock up early.
                          It's partially because the only film to recently focus on that was Insurrection, and fans seem to dislike it. Personally I really liked it.

Insurrection was, for all intents and purposes, a big-budget Next Generation episode (even if it was a sci-fi remake of The Seven Samurai).

Comment

Been waiting for a new Star Trek series for a while... I wonder what has been holding one off? Fatigue? I hope with newer technologies and budgets they can get a nice show off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              It's partially because the only film to recently focus on that was Insurrection, and fans seem to dislike it. Personally I really liked it.

Insurrection was, for all intents and purposes, a big-budget Next Generation episode (even if it was a sci-fi remake of The Seven Samurai).
                              If that was their thinking, it would be a complete misreading of what happened. By Trek film standards, Insurrection was dull and, yes, felt like a (slightly) bigger budget TV episode. That doesn't mean in any way that discovering new planets and new civilisations was the problem. It just means that wasn't a great movie by the standards that many people are looking for in a movie, Trek or otherwise.

By contrast, the films have gone the other way and too many are trying to recreate Khan and doing it poorly. Nemesis being godawful didn't stop them doing the exact same thing for the reboot.

Comment

Working...
                              X